rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  5:51:25 PM  Show Profile
My next garden problem: I bought several succulents and cacti to have a small desert planter on the porch. I mixed up a succulent/cacti potting soil (soil, pearlite, sand and some small pebbles) to promote drainage in the container. However, my aloe vera is turning brown and looks horrible and two of the other succulents have already turned brown and died. The cacti look like they are doing ok so far and the other succulents have a couple of the lower leaves turning brown, and I've trimmed them off but otherwise they look ok right now. I re-potted them today thinking that perhaps the container that I had them in was not draining well but the soil is nice and dry, not wet like I expected it to be. I am careful to only water them 1-2 times per week, and then it is just a quick spray. I've never had much luck with aloe vera for some reason and have not had these other succulents or cacti before. I don't even know exactly what kinds I have, just some I picked up from Home Depot that were potted together but the pot looked too small (they started turning brown then) so I moved them to a bigger pot and added a couple of more plants to fill in holes. They are sitting in an area that gets lots of sun. Is there anything that I should be doing differently with these plants?

All of my other plants in the garden and on the porch are looking capital!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://rachelsmithhhp.com

www.madameapothecary.com
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Succulent problems Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page