Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's going on today? Next Topic  

AdeleHale
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Columbus Georgia
31 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  03:44:48 AM  Show Profile
I've been up since a little after 4:00 this morning. All my dreams were just chaos - a brain dump, so it was more restful just to get up and start my day. Put on some laundry and got to thinking about hosting a tea party! I haven't had or been to a tea party since I was little, with my grandma. I don't really know how it's done and I'm not sure I know anyone who would be interested in coming. But, then I got to thinking, and maybe I'll just have one for myself! I'll plan it out just like it was for other people and, if I take a mind to inviting others, once I know what I want to do, I will and if not, that's ok, too.

Today, we are going downtown to the bank and then to the government center to get our marriage license! Meeting with the officiant Saturday for lunch and probably doing it next Tuesday, while the moon's full. Six years of waiting finally coming to fruition!

My daughter wants to go to Lowe's to look at paint swatches for her room. She's moving from elementary school to middle school this year, so she's made herself a reinvention project. I think she's pretty wonderful the way she is, but it never hurts to broaden your horizons. Might go to the bookstore, too. I don't need new books - I have a couple I haven't touched, but I'd like to look at the magazines, too. And I want to go to Goodwill. I was there yesterday and saw this cute lil tealight house that I could put a battery-operated tealight in and put in one of my fairy gardens and a set of fancy teacups and saucers I want. I'm going to donate all those advertiser mugs and get some really pretty cups instead.

What are you doing today?

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  05:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, congratulations on getting married. I raise my cup of tea to you.

As for tea parties go I have been to big ones, little ones, and given several. One of the most fun was a doll/teddy bear tea that I gave. Invited five ladies so there were six of us. Sent out invitations requesting that they bring their favorite doll or teddy bear.

I set up a little table in the living room for the wee guests and the dining table for us ladies. Made matching place cards for the guests and their dolls/teddy bears. It was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed showing off and telling about our favorite doll or teddy bear. One 60 year old lady bought her own childhood doll. Another lady bought her son's teddy bear. I had Dusta Rose, the rag doll, that by son gave me.

Went to a tea where the hostess asked us to bring a favorite item to do a show & tell. That was a fun time too.

So far today I have let the chicks out; fed Maggie and the birds. Now I am drinking morning English Breakfast tea and playing on the computer as I watch all the birds that have come to feed. The brown thrasher, male cardinal, blue jay, wrens, and sparrows.

It's a low energy day for me so I will piddle, rest, and piddle some more.

Have a blessed day, Sara ~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  06:21:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer! I also congratulate you on getting married, and wish you all the happiness in the world. I had a hectic night's sleep (if you could even call it " sleep") myself and was up about the same time. Must be something in the cosmos -- anyone know about astrology? Too bad we didn't go in the Chat we could have had a virtual tea party :) I'll be spending the moring with my daughter, too, who needs to update her resume for a clinical round she has to do over the summer. She's in graduate school to be a nurse practitioner. Then we're putting the finishing touches on the reservations for the family vacation to Martha's Vineyard.

After that I have a couple garden chores to do, but I like your idea of going to Goodwill, so I think my mom and I might do that later.

Hi Sara, we had quite a few goldfinches feeding this morning!

Have a great day, dear friends. Jennifer, this is a sweet topic idea!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

BeautifulBibliophile
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Rachel
Valley Alabama
USA
31 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  07:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Getting ready to go in to work for the day. I'm a library director at a community college library in Alabama. Our Summer term just started, so I'm teaching two library orientation classes today, and working as the evening shift librarian since we're short-handed at the moment.

Got to feed my animals, both here and at work, and get down to the business of being book wizard!

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing." - Harper Lee
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile
We've had a lazy morning. Pretty much the opposite of you 4am girls. :) Breakfast turned into brunch, not that the kids starved, they eat like hobbits. Cereal first thing, then mom makes eggs and toast later. This morning later was 930. That's kind of late for us, but they were playing well, and I was reading, drinking coffee. We did some school. It was sort of an "enhanced basics" day. We all went outside so I could weed, and then it started raining almost as soon as I started. It seems to just be passing through, so we'll head back out maybe after lunch. I'll workout later, take a shower, leftover memorial day grilled food for dinner, then baseball game tonight for the boys. Doesn't sound like a lot but it fills up the day!

And congratulations Jennifer on your upcoming wedding! I wish you happiness and the ability to choose battles wisely... lol :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  11:39:15 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer I wish you many happy years of marriage. We had 53 this year.
Today we went to our supplier to get koi food. We have an indoor and outdoor koi pond with 9 koi. Then we drove around four of the beautiful lakes that Minnesota is famous for. It was our first sunny day in weeks and it might be up to 90 today. Humid! Our son is going to visit from Austin Texas on Saturday and we get to see his wife on Monday. She is going to her college reunion. Such a joy to see them both. Texas is a long ways from Minnesota.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  9:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Jen, HUgz and Blessings to you and your beloved...

My day consisted with finishing up some touch-up work on my trailer for an upcoming Glamping trip with about 260 other trailer towing ladies.
Some weeding in what is left of my garden thanx to the deer... I thought I had out smarted them,,, Not!
repurposed a (another)pair of jeans into a pair of capris/peddle pushers...

and

tomorrow, a lunch outing, a bit of thrifting and then when I get home I will be in my sewing room working on a re-purposed apron from a beloved table cloth....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  08:04:08 AM  Show Profile
I am planning a productive day today. In a few minutes, I will be out in the garden for an hour putting in plants and seeds. I have to limit myself to an hour at a time so I don't get too fatigued. Then it is inside to finish printing the certificates for my crochet students. I will be sitting outside for lunch with my dogs and a good book. I will then head to the school to deliver the certificates. I may hang around in Room 250 where I volunteer until the end of the day. I may start to take pictures of the kids and the dioramas they did this year. Then it is home to watch TV and work on some craft projects which I will be giving to the kids on the last day of school. Well that's my plan. Alternatively, I could just come in the house after lunch and take a nap with my animals. We'll see.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  8:03:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a pretty great day to me! Love your tea party idea! I had a 'tea party for one' this winter...I made a big pot o' tea, got out my china, some yummy scones, and binge-watched several episodes of Downton Abbey!

Today was busy for me too: laundry, cleaned chicken coops, cleaned the house, ironed on 100 Girl Scout badges to a vest (literally - DD ran out of room on her sash so we switched to a vest, now I have to sew them on), worked on my Master Gardener project, took my dog to the park for a walk, made dinner, did dishes, and worked on Girl scout stuff. Now I am pooped!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  9:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Jennifer!!! Sounds like an awesome day!! Gotta love the bookstore! My daughter won'y let me leave without at LEAST one new novel...lol!

https://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com/2015/05/28/today-has-been-all-over-the-place/

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  9:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
BTW, you should have a tea party with your daughter! My 13 yo DD loves it! And she isn't super girly (or proper! lol) or anything.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  02:45:33 AM  Show Profile
It's Friday morning and I've been up since 4 o'clock. Planning on harvesting herbs to dry along with orange peel. That's the fun part of my day.

Hope to clean out the fridge; mop kitchen floor; weed if I can find a dry spot; iron a dab of clothes.

More fun stuff ~~~ cut out yoyos; work on badges; sit under the big oak tree to watch the birds feed and the chickens doing whatever chickens do.

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  12:59:49 PM  Show Profile
Raining again today. Weed pulling will be a snap when it ends. The 80 feet of raspberries will be a bumper crop with the rain. Today Our youngest son and wife visited from Austin, TX. Such fun to see your kids when they live so far away. Sewing this afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  1:28:41 PM  Show Profile
A day of doctor appointments for my mom, all good news :) Then we took a trip to the Good Will store and found some really great treasures. I'm working on some mending and some ironing, not very exciting but satisfying, and has to be done! Hope to knit tonight.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  3:40:27 PM  Show Profile
Just did a 180 mile round trip for 2 bags of sunflowers. DH only has a few acres left to seed and ran out. Need to finish weed eating and weeding yet for the day, cover all my flower beds and garden frost warnings tonight. Not sure if I have enough old blankets, rugs and tarps tp get everything covered. I will be so,glad when I can quit wording about the night time temps for awhile. For now I am getting a bowl of cole slaw in the fridge for supper.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  5:29:31 PM  Show Profile
We have had a rainy afternoon here. My day starts out by doing chores, feeding chickens, putting sheep out, and feeding my bull. Hopefully the cows will go up to pasture this weekend. Cleaned the bathroom, cooked noodles and eggs for tuna salad for supper, went to work for 8 hours, came home and did chores again, and canned up 9 jelly jars of cranberry sauce, and 5 pint jars of whole cranberrys. Did dishes and am pooped out now! Feet are up!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  6:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Jennifer! Not much going on today. Finished up some bookkeeping this morning, took my granddaughter and went to the thrift store this afternoon. Found a few bargains on needful things. Tomorrow I have plans for lunch with some girlfriends, hitting the local market and then heading back to do some veggie repotting and transplanting.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  11:39:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Amy - I'm so glad it was all good news for your Mom! YAY!!!

Today we're waiting for thunderstorms. I finished all my laundry yesterday, so I spent the entire morning saving all our homeschool information from the computer to disks, and then removing everything from the hard drive. Next I'm tackling our books and software to put up for barter or sale. Our homeschool evaluator offered to put the list out there for me, so I am hoping to clear everything out of the house relatively soon. Just sooo much more to do than I ever thought. I had no idea how many books we've accumulated! My son wants dibs on his favorites, though. I'm not allowed to post anything until he's had the chance to scan through the piles... <Sigh> I just can't wait to get through this and move on to other projects that have been waiting for me. Tempus sure fugits! :)

I also did a lot of canning last week. Tomorrow I'm FINALLY tackling the frozen tomatoes - a chore that somehow keeps getting put on the back burner because of constant pressing interruptions. I can't WAIT to get this done, either! I'm going to dehydrate the skins and turn them into tomato powder, then get cracking on my sauce. I still have so many left over - I may even dehydrate a few! We'll see how it goes! :)

Have a great weekend, girls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

mjscanlan
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Mary Jo
Dennison Minnesota
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  05:32:42 AM  Show Profile

KATMON - Grace Brown- I am not sure where to post this so I chose this page. A childhood very good friend of mine lost her dad recently and her mom is afflicted with severe alzheimers. Her childhood home was being sold and I went to the estate sale to buy something to honor our friendship and her family. I bought one of her mom's tablecloths. I thought making it into an apron for her would be a good gesture of all that is good in our lives - gatherings, food, family, moms, friends. I don't sew. I went to this 'farmgirl family' and looked for someone who sewed. I found Grace! I emailed her out of the blue and told her what I was looking for. We did not know each other at all. Grace graciously and beautifully made these two aprons for us. There is no way to really show Grace how grateful I am but I thought I would post here since it looks like she has posted. Some of you may know me through the monthly art swap, I see some familiar names here. God Bless you All and THANK YOU GRACE!

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  06:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jo the aprons are beautiful. So glad you got them at the estate sale. We were in a swap together last year. Your mail-art still hangs across from my computer table.

Grace, you created beauties. So sweet of you to make them for Mary Jo. Makes me proud to be FarmGirl Sisters with you.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  06:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Want a wonderful family tribute!! Grace world her apron magic once again too! Love those lovely aprons from the vintage tablecloth !!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  07:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jo, the apron is lovely. Such a sweet gesture. Yes, Grace is awesome.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  3:39:28 PM  Show Profile
I spent this after noon out in the backyard while the band was rehearsing in the living room. We live in a small apartment and it gets a little loud and crowded with the band in there. Now that the outside is so nice, Mitzi and I like to be outside as much as possible. Morgan, the other dog, stayed inside and sat on the couch listening to the band. Out in the yard there is a garden, some chairs, a fire urn and an old oak table. I had lunch, read a book, did some gardening and read some on the laptop computer. I took off my shoes to do the gardening barefooted. It was an extremely nice day and I took my time. Here are some pictures I took after I brought everything back in.

Backyard and Lawn Furniture

My Spring Garden So Far

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Jun 06 2015 4:28:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's going on today? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page