Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Our Farm Next Topic  

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  07:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
For 3 years we have been looking for land/ a farm of our own. We have dreams, but sometimes we feel too much is against us.

We have a pretty good sized garden and a good sized flock of laying hens. My daughter, 13, raises rabbits, as well, we sell what we can as pets and the rest are butchered. She keeps all proceeds and we pay for feed. ;) lol! We get the occasional meat and the compost adds from it!

We currently own 2 acres, mostly wooded, with a ditch running through it. The back low ground floods once or twice a year, but it dissipates quickly. So we need more useable ground. More growing space. We would like to get a mini jersey and a couple pigs each year, as well. So we keep looking.

And keep putting off things we can do here, because we don't want to put the money and time into it. But every year, we decide to add a bit more.

This year it will be cane fruit.

Anyone else ever feel like they aren't getting anywhere?

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  07:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alicia, yes I feel like that all the time! Every time there's a little extra money, here comes an unexpected bill, and every time I have a little time, there's something that must be done that isn't what I'd planned to do. So I try to remind myself that I'm lucky to be able to pay my bills, and blessed to be whole and strong enough to get my work done. When I feel like I'll never have life the way I've dreamed it, like I'll always struggle, I remember some really simple good advice my dad always gave us: "Never say never, and never say always. Things change." Hang in there!

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 31 2015 :  8:33:30 PM  Show Profile
I really feel for you. Things are so expensive now. Just try to be patient and trust that things will work out. God bless.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  03:49:45 AM  Show Profile
I am a strong believer in God opening the doors. We all have dreams and prayers... And sometimes God says yes, sometimes He says no, and other times He says not now. You know the situation for our family.... Here soon as I have to give up everything we have worked for here, for a rental. While I want to move on one hand, I have worked so hard over the years to get my garden and herbs where they are today. At the rental, I will only be able to have a few pots in plants :( But in the future, we will move to Wyoming... I cannot say when we will find our dream property, or when we will have our homestead... But I do know that God is faithful. He has engraved the dream into our hearts, minds, bodies and souls! Right now, He is saying not now... And as hard as that is, I have to remember that He sees the big picture... He knows His plans for our lives, and He has our best interest in mind. Handing over my life to Him meant handing it all over... And I have to do it daily! It is a matter of handing Him each day, my hopes, my dreams, my time frames. All of this to say, hang in there dear friend and sister! God knows what He has planned for you, and it will be better than your wildest dreams!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  1:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I know. But I don't think God wants us to wait idling by. So while we keep trying to find it, we have to figure out what can be done here. The mushrooms may be a great idea! Still waiting on the books.

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile
I realize how you feel. My husband and I have been through it all. We started on 3 acres on the side of a mountain. From there we went to a 32 acre farm. Now we live in town on .75 acre. It seems like we are going backwards. But I still haven't given up on my dream to one day be back out on at least 5 acres. For now we are doing what we can here. We are lucky that we live were there is no HOA and the law only disallows pigs. So we have chickens, rabbits, a good size garden, herbs, and fruit trees. What is mostly holding us back is that my husband almost died last year (at the age of 51). So right now we are working with the hospital and settling an almost $600,000 bill. I know it is a scary number but I feel like God is in control and it will all work out.
I hope you don't give up on your dreams, but don't let your dreams stop you from living now.
Good luck.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2015 :  3:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Jeanna: What a horrible bill to be faced with. But your husband is alive and that's the best. I believe God IS watching over you. My prayers.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2015 :  4:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
How Jeanna!! Thank the Lord for His blessing! I understand those huge bills :( . We lost a child in a car accident 8 yrs ago and some bills still haunt us. from his time on life support.

Go to Top of Page

GreenSleeves2015
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barbara
Ithaca New York
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  4:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dandee Rose, Have you checked out the farm that we are offering for sale by owner? My post describes the property and the great opportunity it offers for the right family. There is so much potential there, it is a wonderful house and excellent land. This link will take you to more information about it. We can imagine a hops crop, there are blueberries, large produce gardens, a barn suitable for many kinds of livestock, a chicken house and an extra kitchen that could be a beauty shop or other business space.

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Unique_Country_Property_offers_many_opportunities-2300074/
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Our Farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page