Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 MaryJanesFarm Forum vs. other social media
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic MaryJanesFarm Forum vs. other social media Next Topic  

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  05:48:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey all. I was just in an interesting discussion on Facebook through one of my pages and we got to talking about how Facebook isn't showing people all of the posts. (It's always been an issue, it's just getting bigger.) People have started talking about turning all their pages into "groups" because in groups, people who are members actually see everything that is posted.

It made me think of this forum. A few years ago, it was really hoppin! Then it seems like a lot of people just became friends on Facebook. Coming back here now, it seems like the forum doesn't have as much action. Is that because people are connecting elsewhere? It certainly can't be because we've run out of stuff to talk about... ;)

I LOVE forums. I love the discussion and the sisterhood here. Facebook just isn't the same (especially when you're trying to tell people about farm stuff on your farm page and FB doesn't show it to more than 5 people). Have any of you seen similar issues with FB? Let's talk about why this forum is awesome! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  07:53:29 AM  Show Profile
For one thing this forum is focused. You get to meet great women of like minds caring about the things you do. I find closer friends on MJF than I do on social media.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile
For another thing, I can say that every one of the people on this forum are real friends even though we haven't met in person or spoken on the phone. I feel as if I belong here and my thoughts will not get lost in the large amount of advertising, game notices, friend requests and general "why did they have to post that" stuff that happens on Facebook. I only keep my Facebook account open to "like" something and get the discount on my next order from a company.

This is where my heart and friends are.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  09:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Aw. Those are nice things to say. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  10:27:54 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Like Bonnie says, this is more "focused" and I think those of us farmgirls who are here are more of a kindred spirit. I have a FB page, but I don't find it to be all that others claim FB pages to be. I belong to some FB groups as well and they are good, but there is NOTHING like the discussions, ideas, friendships and interactions here on the Farmgirl Connection. Other social media sites do not compare!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  11:24:31 AM  Show Profile
I was away from these forums for a while but have now returned here! I enjoy Facebook too, but as the other ladies have said this board is much more focused and has more content than any Facebook page has.

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Mother Hen

"An Apron:Its strings gently tug at us, tenderly, softly calling us to turn back to the old ways".-Above Rubies Magazine
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile
I agree it is much more focused here. Y'all are awesome!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  11:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. If you remember a post from some time ago that you want to go back, you can usually find it somewhere. Posts on the FB threads are not that way.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  12:02:24 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Bonnie, Marie, and CJ. I was on Facebook, for a while. It was the only way I could connect with my daughter during the day (to 'message' her) because she was not allowed to check her email at work, but could check Facebook (?). I didn't like it and left as soon as possible. It seemed...well, disconnected. Not at all like here on the Farmgirl Connection. This really does seem like getting together with a bunch of true friends. I really didn't care to know that someone was 'sitting at a stoplight waiting for it to turn green'. I think, if there are fewer post here, it reflects the fact that we farm girls are busy with our lives and the things we love and, if we're sitting at a stoplight waiting, our minds are not on announcing that on Facebook, but on our kids, chickens, gardens, quilts, etc. To me, like-minded and caring says it all.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
(Includes 'The Simply Lived Life' blog)
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  12:15:58 PM  Show Profile
LOL Wanda! You're right! There is a lot of junk to wade through on Facebook. Some people post just to post. 0_o

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
-Oscar Wilde

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  12:21:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't do Facebook. I'm happy with MJF, and the positive women who post here keeps me coming back day in day out.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  1:20:19 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree, this forum is warm-hearted and unbelievably useful at the same time. Facebook can be a real time waster.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  7:08:32 PM  Show Profile
I agree on all those points. I also feel that this is more of a "family". Facebook is like being back in high school. You see friends there, but there's more people. Or like a big party where you see people but no good conversation., as opposed to a small dinner with close friends. This is more meaningful.

Facebook has ads, and fluff. Here, it's like-minded sisters!

Amy, you and I connected here before being pen pals. Though I owe you a letter. It's going to be a book,lol!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  05:49:25 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, I think that's a great comparison. Facebook is like a party without much connection, and MJF is like a dinner with close friends. Absolutely true. I left facebook for a couple of years. I actually deleted my account, which is surprisingly hard to do. I was pressured mostly by family members to create a new account. I mostly use it for groups and messaging a few people since I don't have a cell phone, and the preferred method of communication with many people is texting. The other thing about facebook is that people get into arguments all of the time on facebook about everything, but what I see most, and in my twenties participated in frequently is concerning politics. I love that here on the MJF forum we don't have that. I know it's part of the rules, and I'm sure on occasion it's hard, but most of us also aren't looking to argue like that. We all come from different backgrounds and political persuasions, but we come together anyway, because we all love everything that this place is about.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  11:18:16 AM  Show Profile
I would add that I find the purpose of our MJF chatroom to be connecting with others who are interested in specific information and goals of women who carry that "Farmgirl heart". Precisely, because we don't know each other when we join, we are not looking for reuniting old friendships or talking with our families etc. We are here because we want to learn new things, find others who know more about something than we do (like farming, canning, sewing etc.) and talk about our lives in the context of connecting with long traditions of families and supportive communities. I find that MJF is where you find inspiration to try something you always were curious about but never had the support to do. Like raising a few chickens, organic vegetable gardening, wearing an apron, buying your first farm and learning skills doing fun badges. Each of the social medias have their purposes and strengths, and I really think it boils down to which source provides you with what you are looking for. For me, this Chatroom has been a source of new friends, new ideas, and a forum to just be myself. As an older Farmgirl, I also appreciate a place where the pace is what you make it to be. A person can participate as often as they wish and not feel like they have to be constantly checking in. Personally I like that freedom!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  1:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I certainly would agree with what you all have said about this forum. I love it, it's great to catch up on my time at whatever hour of the day I feel like it! I have met in cyberspace some wonderful gals here! Perhaps one day we will meet in person.

As for FB, sadly, many of the business organizations that I belong to use the "secret" group option of FB, so there am catching up/interacting. As for my personal FB, not much of a poster. Like most of you have mentioned, lots to filter through. I do belong to a great farmgirl group on FB. When I want to read up on it, I just go to their page and bypass all the advertisements! lol

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 13 2015 :  10:57:34 PM  Show Profile
Well said Winnie!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 16 2015 :  12:05:39 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree with all of the farmgirls on this subject.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  09:11:57 AM  Show Profile
I have to laugh,,, fb, tho handy,, can be a little daunting at times... Sometimes I feel like I have ADD when I am on fb,,, lol!
Because I belong to several trailer groups , I know it is easier for the people in the groups to post trips or info pertinent to us.
That being said, I make every effort to watch what I say,,, I try not to post political or inappropriate comments.... and I don't 'Hijack' anyone's post to make rude, snide or opinionated remarks...
Like so many of you, I prefer to come here and chit chat, check out the latest goings on and to say a word of support to a struggling MJF sister...
This is my morning coffee break, my afternoon tea break or my quick 'poke my head in' before I go to bed,,, I may not always post a comment,,, but I am reading....
Well that being said, my coffee cup is empty and I need to get ready to head down the mountain to town... "Mother hubbards cupboard " is bare.... and I need a fabric store fix as well...
tata-4-now

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  1:12:42 PM  Show Profile
Grace: If that is a picture of you, that is a hoot! Get that coffee and that fabric, I got mine this morning after taking my husband to the doc. He can walk in two weeks, Yay! no more scooter (he had achilles tendon surgery).

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  8:47:42 PM  Show Profile
haha! yep that's me... try doing that on fb... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  09:19:47 AM  Show Profile
I'm one of those that's on the forums for a while, then I disappear, and then I'm back, over and over again. I have FB and I actually hate FB, but now that I'm so far away from my family, they depend on those posts. Plus our Farmgirl Chapter has a page, which I like... otherwise, FB could go away completely and I'd never notice. These forums, though, are wonderful and so full of information and friendship and caring and general awesomeness. I hope it continues for years. As long as there are farmgirls, there should be a place like this!

Farmgirl Sister #5159
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile
I love this place. I too have been here less lately. Not because of facebook, but just time needed elsewhere. But I have been a member since May of 2004, and it has meant a lot to me and my daughter in the past. It is much nicer to form friendships here than facebook.

Farmgirl #31

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  10:45:41 AM  Show Profile
I am with Sara (Yellow Rose) -- I think it's the positive vibe among the women here that I find the most pleasant. Facebook can get so in-your-face at times. I joined it a few years ago because my niece (from whom I live a great distance) had started just posting her kids' pix there instead of e-mailing them to everyone. I found I could keep up on the family and see more pictures on facebook. I think the upside is that it is so very very easy to post pictures there. The downsides are quite a few! ha ha I have had to thin out my "friends" list from time to time for bad language, too much politics, etc. I have not had any of that problem here at MJF. I have made some new friends and have got so much good information. Keep it coming!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  9:19:22 PM  Show Profile
I quit FB over a year ago and I don't regret it! I really enjoy the camaraderie of this forum! I'd still be stuck in a shell if not for the amazing ladies here!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  10:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love the friendships on this forum. And if you have a question, problem, or concern there are always several farmgirls with solutions or remedies to try.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic MaryJanesFarm Forum vs. other social media Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page