Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic "Mutant" spinach seeds Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  10:12:59 PM  Show Profile
I planted some spinach seeds--at least that's what it said on the packet--about a month ago, and the plants that are coming up are NOT spinach. I'm not sure what they are. They're stiff with fuzzy leaves. The seeds look like tiny rocks and I don't recall the seeds looking that way when I planted this variety in years past. I won't name the company I got the seeds from to protect the guilty, but I won't be doing business with them again. I feel bummed cause I was looking forward to harvesting spinach and now it's too warm to plant again (with real spinach seeds). So I guess I'll have to wait till fall and find some seeds that are what the packet says they are.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile
I can honestly say that has never happened to me,,, but like in most any industry, their are always a few lazy workers, who create a bad rep for the company...
Have you sent an email to the company? just to 'fyi' them? Who knows, you may not be the only one who has notified them of the seed mix up... I think companies truly want to be notified so they can correct the problem...as a good will with the consumer...
And if they ignore you or give you the 'oh well' response, then at least you will have the satisfaction of letting them know... and not feel bad about your decision to not patronize ever again.
(just thinking out loud,,, you probably have already done this)
On the plus side, it will be interesting to see what the "Mystery seed" produces for you!
Let us know... we all luv a good Garden Mystery :>)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  5:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Please post a photo of whatever you get! It sounds a little spooky looking, maybe don't get too close on a full moon -- hee hee!:)

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 09 2015 :  1:48:42 PM  Show Profile
I showed the "mystery plant" to someone I know who has grown a lot of veggies, and he said they're either cucumber or winter squash. He said the seeds look like spinach seeds...I planted those on March 29, and when I checked the planter today, there ARE some small spinach leaves coming up. But why did it take so long? I planted the lettuce at the same time, in the same planter, and it's bigger than the spinach. Usually the spinach outperforms the lettuce, but I got the spinach seeds from a different company than I've used in the past. The lettuce seeds are from Baker Creek and they're doing well. Maybe it's just that other company. But the peas I got from them are also doing well. As for the "mystery plant"--a while back I had a recipe that called for cucumber. I used half the cucumber and I guess the other half was going bad so I must have tossed it in the compost bin. I used a mix of peat moss and compost in that planter. So it's probably cucumber seeds that sprouted from the compost. But I still wonder why it took so long for the spinach to germinate...
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic "Mutant" spinach seeds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page