Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What is this? **5/29 Update!**
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What is this? **5/29 Update!** Next Topic  

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  7:05:58 PM  Show Profile
So is Rooster Cogburn actually a rooster? We named her thinking it would be funny to have a hen named Rooster, but now we are really starting to think that she is a he...anyone have any opinions?

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Edited by - AFinkberry on May 29 2015 5:24:12 PM

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile
It's a little hard to determine because he/she isn't fully developed yet. The comb is still small.

But, the neck feathers and the tail feathers have a bit more silky sheen and different texture than the hen at the right. Those feathers do look a little like they'll be rooster feathers.

Check its legs and see if there are bumps where the spurs will grow. Also, watch the behavior. If it seems to be the leader and dances around a bit, it's probably a rooster.

And, of course, if you hear it say 'Cockadoodle-do', then you KNOW it's a rooster.

I can't wait to find out. You could host an online virtual gender reveal party here!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  07:56:14 AM  Show Profile
Maybe it's one of those trans-chickens.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile
HA HA! It's difficult to be patient! But I will update as he/she develops! I was thinking that maybe in the absence of a male, one of the girls is taking on characteristics of a rooster, but we'll know in a month or so!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13642 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13642 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  1:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I like the "cockadooddle-do" answer! Made me laugh!
I have nothing helpful to offer!
Hope you get it figured out!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  5:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Well, we sure did figure it out! About a week ago, he started crowing! And the neighbors started hearing. And we live in the darn city so...no roo's allowed. So today....we did the deed. I was a little sad because he was just so beautiful, but in the end, we just couldn't send him to a chicken retirement home because, honestly, we bought, loved and cared for this chicken so that we can provide food for our children. So, I am honoring Rooster's by feeding my children. But he was so darn pretty! When we live in the country, I'll have a rooster and not care when he crows the world awake!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What is this? **5/29 Update!** Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page