melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile

With mother's day fast approaching I began to think about what it takes to be a good mom....I think that the main goal of a good mother is to make sure her family home is a welcoming. loving and safe place-a sanctuary-a refuge from the big bad world. Another thing would be and I am finding this to be the case more and more as my college age children are experiencing what it is like to be a grown up-and that is good communication-To be there to listen whether you want the drama or not- and to try and give good advice and then--this is the hard part- to be able to let your kids make their own decisions come what may.

What are your thoughts about what it takes to be a good mom?

Melody

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile
When my son was a wee little baby, my husband's aunt advised me to always follow my heart with my son, to love him unconditionally, and to shower him with love and wisdom, and to be tough when need be. She said if I followed these things, I'd never go wrong. I truly believe she was absolutely right, may God rest and bless her soul. Mom's are the heart of the family, after all!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  10:44:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking forward to seeing the responses to this one, as I know I have so far to go! Today is one of those days where I feel like I am failing! It is time to turn to the Lord for sure! I've been focusing on the troubles this world is handing me, rather than Him! Need to push "reset"!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  5:39:26 PM  Show Profile
My amazing mom celebrated her 93rd birthday yesterday:) She was (and still is) a constant presence for her children. Never ever too busy to stop and listen, watch, intervene, laugh along, teach or straighten us out if we needed it. She was our firm foundation. I only hope I've done half as well.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13615 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13615 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
My mom raised six of her own children and two foster children. She worked harder than ever as a farmwife, raising a huge garden, taking care of putting away for winter and tons and tons more. She taught us from the Bible and about the Lord, she encouraged us as musicians (four of us are accomplished pianists/organists . . me included). She loved her husband, my dad, who was a very hardworking farmer, loved her family and helped us learn the value of family, good work ethic, honest and integrity and to do our best!

It's really hard to describe what a good mom is! WOW!
I told my daughter years ago that ONLY job I wanted to really succeed at was being a MOM!
CJ

P.S. My mom went to heaven in February 1994 . . . I miss her so much!

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on May 06 2015 12:17:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  12:00:55 PM  Show Profile
You've all had such precious things to say about how your mom's were good moms. We all try to implement the character and actions of our mothers into our own lives. That is an ultimate honor to them.

Shannon, hang in there. You've got a lot to deal with right now and as you've said in another post, your pregnancy hormones aren't helping. Take a deep breath and try to do as little as possible and just enjoy your kids. Decrease those things that bring you stress.

My sweet Moma (I know I spell it wrong, but it's my way of spelling it), showed me absolute unconditional love and it was the very reflection of God's love. She was my biggest cheerleader and emotional support. This is my 2nd Mother's Day without her and my heart still aches so deeply.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - May 06 2015 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile
My Mama always told each one of us kids (and there is 5 of us), every single night that she loved us more than life , and always asked the great spirits to watch over us while she slept, and every morning she told us again...She also told each of us that NO MATTER WHAT, she would always love us, even if she didn't like us very much at the moment (because of something we said or did),LOL...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What makes a Good Mom? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page