Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Primitive Dolls Next Topic  

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  4:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Finally! Between my ancient computer & my dial up connection I have some photos to share with you. These are dolls I have ready for the show I am doing in a few weeks. Let's see if this works...

]

This is a rag doll about 24" tall with a patriotic theme. Her face is stitched & needle sculpted with handpainted eyes. I also made a really neat flag for her to hold over her shoulder, and a star to hold in one hand. Unfortunately, I snapped her picture before I finished those things.

This is a Columbian style doll, about 16" tall, the first one I've ever made. She is a cloth doll. Her face & limbs are painted with many layers of artist medium & paint to simulate leather.

This style doll is my "trademark" doll. She is about 18" tall. Her face and limbs are hand sculpted from papier' mache and her body is cloth, stuffed with wool. Her face and limbs are handpainted. I believe her costume has 4 different layers, not including her jacket.

All my cloth dolls are stuffed with wool. I like to use vintage or reproduction fabrics & trims for the doll's clothing. You can see they go through an aging process to simulate a much older doll. Their grubby look is intentional.

Rhonda

I think the picture quality is much better now! Enjoy!

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Nov 20 2006 02:36:33 AM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda..they are wonderful!!! I totally love them!! I just know you will do great at your shows. I would be very very interested in one if you have one left after the show. I think they are just perfect!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  4:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
I agree with Jenny, they are wonderful, I bet you sell them all and Jenny and I don't get one!!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
very nice I am with jenny on this I would be interested if there area any left after the show which I doubt.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  4:42:25 PM  Show Profile
beautiful dolls!good luck at the shows!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  5:26:59 PM  Show Profile
They are beautiful! You did such a wonderful job.

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

The Clark County Farmgirls have a blog! http://thefarmgirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  10:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Rhonda - we have both worked out photos! Fun, isn't it?
Love your girls - they will sell like hotcakes. I wish I still had my market stall - no markets anywhere near me now that we have moved.
Good luck with it all, can't wait to see more photos!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  09:06:01 AM  Show Profile
WOW, Rhonda.... You are GOOD! These dolls are beautiful.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  12:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Again, many thanks for your encouragement and kind words! I have always loved dolls, and so, of course, figured out to make my own over the years.
And yes Jayne, I finally have mastered posting photos...OK, maybe not "mastered" I am afraid you may all come to regret it though!

Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile
I was looking at the pictures again this AM and the faces on these dolls are beautiful. They actually "speak" to me! You did a fabulous job.

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

The Clark County Farmgirls have a blog! http://thefarmgirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Rhonda! I used to be a doll collector, and your Colombian doll is absolutely on the mark. At first, I thought she was old! All your dolls are wonderful. The one you say is your trademark is my favorite - love her little jacket and all her girlie layers of underthings! Your attention to detail makes the heart of an old(in every sense of the word) doll collector beat faster! :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely gorgeous Rhonda! These are a real work of art.
Di
Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  11:07:57 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, you are sooo talented! What beautiful dolls! Please let us know how the show goes.

Susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  5:53:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again ladies-you are all too kind! Janice, you actually thought the Columbian WAS old! That's the best compliment-since that's the look I'm going for after all! And Kay, I understand when you say their faces "speak to you"! I think that is the main reason I love making dolls-each one has a "personality" when finished.

I will let everyone know how things go at the show, I sold quite a bit at the last one, so I have a lot of work to do! I think I still have some photos of my last show. I 'll try to share those too. Oh my, more uploading of pictures! Here I go again Jayne! LOL
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  6:22:13 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda! Your dolls are wonderful! I'm so glad you figured out your camera so we could see what treasures you create! I love the detail on both the dolls and the clothes, you did an outstanding job!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  9:11:39 PM  Show Profile
oh chile ..you did a fabulous job on these chilluns. first one looks like a nicole sayre?? and the rest like shari lutz? if not .. you reeeeeeely must see their dolls/patterns. both have been to crooked tree hollow to teach classes .. (shari came several times)! they are DELIGHTFUL!!!!! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  8:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie, thems some SERIOUS compliments! I took off searchin' and saw these ladies work! Just wonderful! I really need to get out & take some classes! Sounds DE-vine!
Blessings,
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Bumping ths up for Miss Wilma.

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda,
WOW, I must have missed these the first time, they are wonderful, you are one handy girl.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  3:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda , I know quality work when I see it, Do you have any more, Your Columbian doll is super, Can you email me I would like to talk to you more. What show did you do, My phone is actin gup so I thimk email would be better Miss Wilma

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile
RHONDA .. your dolls have 'soul' .. but dooooo take classes from teachers who's work you admire. i've been to quite a few doll 'conferences' where we learned techniques over three and four days! even though i don't USE them all in my dollies .. you come to understand 'concepts' that you might not have known before .. and ideas and inspiration at these conferences just flows through your veins .. and it is so wonderful meeting so many accomplished dollmakers who are 'famous' in the doll-making world! since moving to maryland .. i've kinda' drifted from the 'doll class' scene .. i think mayhaps 2008 will be a good year to get re-acquainted! there used to not be lots of PRIMITIVE dolls taught at these conferences ... (i'm pretty proud that i was somewhat instrumental in getting some of the BEST in the country on the teaching rosters at some of the 'biggies'. AND .. these women became good friends and came to Crooked Tree Hollow (our home in maryland) to teach .. i would also see dolls on the internet (like Cat Mahone's .. and Shari Lutz and Verlene Brooks and Hickety Pickety .. Sonya Sandell .. (to name jus' a few!) that i just loved and would ring them up and invite them to teach at our doll club! (we had between 50 and a hundred members at any given time .. many from all across the country!) oh what fun that was! AND .. i'm going to gather with a bunch of them when i go back home to Annapolis in a coupla' weeks! I'm sure i've mentioned my guru: GAIL WILSON! oh the friends i've made on my dolly-making journey!

if i find a GOOD 'UN .. for 2008 .. i'll let you know!!! xo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  6:24:51 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda, I am so proud of you , When you get ready to put them on the market let me know, You know what I like about your dolls they dont look like something that came out of a factory, The very best dolls that are made come simply from the mind and heart. I wouldnt buy a doll now that came from a pattern, I used to buy some newer dolls and was well pleased with them until I found my own thing in doing dolls When one of my dolls sold to one of the biggest doll collectors in the usa I knew I had it made since then I am happy to say . I now have several collectors that keep me busy for the big shows in Nashville. My dolls are more expensive than most and I am sure yours will have to be also but you really get what you pay for. I say my dolls are ugly and they are but no two dolls are alike I figure if I put all the time and effort into them and extra expense for accessories then I want some pay for them, When I am looking for a doll I want something that has a very unique look. I dont know about you but I wouldnt consider a doll that has been stained all over then has a white body gross. Girl your dolls will sell and you can get top money hang in there, I thought I was good but I could take lessons from you HA WG

I am a farm girl married to a sewing machine

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  7:57:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, Thank you so much for your kind words. The dolls pictured here have sold. I have one left in a fancy shop locally-just waiting to be someone's special friend. I am setting some goals for getting my web site up & running after the first of the year. It has been SUCH a process! I will be putting my dolls & other handmades up there and maybe opening an etsy shop too.

Frannie I WISH there were more classes offered near me, but they seem to be few & far between. I do live fairly close to doll maker extraordinare Susan Fosnot, but her classes are offered only periodically. Gail Wilson came to Indianapolis last summer but I did not have the funds to attend her class at the time. I have done a few of her kits and picked up some great tricks there. I think trying other artist's patterns helps me learn new things too. Not as good as a class, but another way to learn. Plus some of them are just so darn good! Cat Mahone has become a DEAR friend and she is so sweet & talented, and SO willing to share. I just adore her! I swear she can make something from thin air! She's always "fiddling"! I have also gotten to know Emily Franz from Hootin' Annies, another talented gal! She is so much fun, such an encourager and her patterns are wonderful!
I will email you Miss Wilma. Although my email seems to act up every few days. We are like Jack Sprat & his wife, you with your phone troubles/me with my internet! We WILL connect, SOON!

Thanks again for your encouraging words ladies!
Rhonda

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2007 :  7:18:59 PM  Show Profile
I'll be watching for more dolls for sale. I really love them

Stephanie
Farmgirl Sister #22

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Primitive Dolls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page