Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  11:14:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm a newbie. I want to learn how to knit. Where do you suggest that I look for classes? My grandma knits but she lives way down South.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:21:23 PM  Show Profile
If there is a local knitting shop that would be the first place to try...If you are the type who learns well by yourself from a book....that is how I am.....there are alot of great books out there. I would try KidKnits..I have that one for my 10 year old daughter and the projects are things that are cute and fun and I like to do little things from that book myself. STitch n'[bleep] is another book I have with really basic instructions and cute projects. Good luck!! I love to knit and am always glad to see that someone else is interested!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny! I will try the knitting shops and also check out the book. Sometimes I learn well with books but sometimes I don't. I guess it just depends on the project.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  5:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Local yarn shops are a really fun place to learn this art cause you get to meet other people who are just beginning and some wonderful talented people who are interrested in seeing you succeed at it.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  6:28:20 PM  Show Profile
seems like there is always a willing teacher around at a good yarn shop. The one I love (in Provo) always seems to have a few gals sitting around a big round table working on something, or teaching someone...hopefully you will find one like that!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  05:35:10 AM  Show Profile
When I was a child I learned to knit at a knit shop. The owner was a British lady and she gave knitting instruction. Her name was Sydney and she was amazing! She was a war bride and I have never seen anyone who could knit like this woman. She was also an expert seamstress. She would talk about her home in Yorkshire and all the sheep she had and how she would spin their wool. She was fascinating. There are talented people eager to teach their craft at these shops!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  11:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your input everyone! I have checked the phonebook and have found two yarn shops so I will definately check it out! I am so excited! One of my friend's gave me yarn and a knitting needle a few Christmases ago and she was going to teach me but we moved to the other side of the state. I've been reading Debbie Macomber's books that are set in a yarn shop and they are inspiring me even further. Has anyone else read them?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  3:31:56 PM  Show Profile
No....tell me about them...sounds interesting!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  3:54:31 PM  Show Profile
There are two fiction books. The first is about a yarn shop an the owner who is a woman who is a two time cancer survivor. The book follows her and 3 or 4 other women who join a knitting class at her shop. It's really about differences between the women and their ability to all become friends despite the differences. There is at least one knitting pattern in each book. The books are very warm and fuzzy. Here is a link with the review. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=ox7rM5RBEH&isbn=0060581999&itm=3 Hopefully the link worked.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  6:07:21 PM  Show Profile
it sounds like my kind of book..I wrote down the names of some of her other books too,they sound great as well..thanks!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  7:42:05 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Macomber has been a prolific writer for years, so there should be lots of her books available at the library. I've read some of her earlier works and enjoyed them. She tends to write in themes, so this knitting theme must be the latest... and if I'm not mistaken, I believe she lives in the Puget Sound area of WA state... my neck of the woods (well, WA at least!)... probably much closer to Eileen!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  10:01:57 PM  Show Profile
I am reading a book right now called "The Knitter's gift". It is a series of stories, collected by the author from other women and has some patterns in it too..I just got it on Monday and what I have read so far I really like. Same author wrote "The Zen of Knitting" or something like that. Next trip to the city I will have to look for the Debbie Macomber books. I will see what they have at the library too. I think the writing in themes is a neat concept!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Jenny: I'm going to look up that book too. Sounds very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  11:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Glad to see other knitters in the group. Learning to knit is wonderful. I taught a few gals at work how to knit. Got them going on the requisite scarf as their first project. We used to meet at lunch time whenever, no set days really, with meetings and work travel it was easier to leave it open ended. I miss the girls. Now I knit while my son naps and late at night. I am somewhat of an insomniac, getting by on just 2-3 hours of sleep a night and a short nap each afternoon. There is a table at my local yarn shop where gals get together and knit/chat, I've yet to join them because I usually have son with me when I am visiting the sale bins.

One book I would recommend to any knitter is Elizabeth Zimmermans "Knitting in the Round", it's a wonderful book. Even for new knitters its easy to understand and her way of explaining things is great. I must say the first time I closed my eyes while knitting socks was scary but now I can knit while a passenger in the car, reading, watching a movie, chatting with friends, monitoring a college class, sitting in the Dr's office, etc.

Also, for anyone without a local yarn shop close by, try Michaels or Jo-Anns, they usually have classes each month, at least the ones here in Kansas do.
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  08:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny- I just started reading the Stitch N'(you know). It seems like it has a lot of very useful info. I'm excited to get started. Hopefully this week I'll have a chance to check out one of the local yarn stores. My son is playing baseball in two leagues right now so our week is absolutely filled with baseball. But if I can get a break from it then I'm going to head to a yarn store.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2005 :  1:23:04 PM  Show Profile
I think that the two SnB books really describe things for a beginner in an easy to understand way...I am glad you are getting started. I have 3 of my 4 kids still at home playing baseball now too (separate leagues for them all of course!!)...I take socks I am knitting along with me... and get a little done during the games and the waiting.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page