Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Generations -- a Little Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Generations -- a Little Update Next Topic  

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  6:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to update everyone who was so helpful and encouraging with this. After doing all the research on every conceivable rennovation idea it became apparent that I just couldn't afford to do it. The only way to make it even close to affordable would have required my mom giving up her little sitting room, and at 93 (she just had a birthday) having just given up her house, we won't do that. So, my daughter is going to double up her remaining classes so she can finish in one year instead of two. This will require her to work every other weekend, but she wants to do it, and I'm proud if her determination. Mom and I live less than a mile away, and we'll be spending almost all of our waking hours babysitting. This may not be the year I start a garden! :)

Here's the funny thing. When we decided as a family that it was time for mom to come live with me, my daughter and I kind of day dreamed about selling all 3 houses and buying one big one. What have I learned from this? Next time a day dream feel that right, I'm going for it! Thanks for listening. Hugs!

Tell me I'm not crazy! Last year I completely renovated my little cottage home to be able to move my 92-year young mom in with me. Now I'm going to do more renovations so my daughter and 2-year old granddaughter can move in so my daughter can finish grad school. 4 generations in the same little home seems right to me. Encouraging words welcome

In every life there is a story, in every story there is a song .
Song Sparrow

Edited by - Song Sparrow on May 28 2015 05:41:30 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  9:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Four generations ~~ all female ~~ under one roof. With the right attitudes and give & take it should be a wonderful ride. May the Lord shine brightly on your little home.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  9:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Incredible possibilities! What you will all learn from each other! So lucky to have each other. I may never see more than 3 generations at once, since we all have been 30 or over when our first child was born.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  04:59:29 AM  Show Profile
You are not crazy! Though when I saw where you live, some may not be kind to you (I lived in Dover and Felton for quite a few years). What you are doing use to be normal.... And now the majority of people just don't care about others. I pray God blesses your desires of wanting to help and that it goes better than your wildest dreams!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  08:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the encouragement and blessings, I'm feeling braver already! I wonder how many multi-generational family homes are out there somewhere? Wouldn't it be great if it's more prevalent than we think?!

In every life there is a story, in every story there is a song .
Song Sparrow
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  09:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Amy with your new plans! While there will be challenges, there will be wonderful blessings and fun. Let us know how it all works out as others may wish or need to do the same thing.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful and blessed person you are! Shared wisdom. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  11:07:00 AM  Show Profile
There is "NOTHING" more importent than family...my youngest son, his wife and my grandson live on my place, along with my brother, his wife and my neice, and I am also raising another grandchild , we all live in seperate homes on my property, and everyone works together to run, repair, raise livestock and fruit and veggys, and there are a day or two,lol, that we might clash, but we always make up and love each other all the more...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  1:05:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by oldbittyhen

There is "NOTHING" more importent than family...my youngest son, his wife and my grandson live on my place, along with my brother, his wife and my neice, and I am also raising another grandchild , we all live in seperate homes on my property, and everyone works together to run, repair, raise livestock and fruit and veggys, and there are a day or two,lol, that we might clash, but we always make up and love each other all the more...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"

Boy oh boy, did I love reading your post! Makes me feel slightly less crazy for what we're doing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  7:16:50 PM  Show Profile
I think it is wonderful. My brother has his two daughters, one is married and their grandson living with them. For a long time they also had his wife's mother with them.
We have my 89 yr. old dad and our son living with us. My brother in law will be moving here soon. My sister passed a yr and a half ago and we are the only family he really has anymore. Honestly, I think it is a good choice economically if you can do it.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AdeleHale
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Columbus Georgia
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  12:07:33 PM  Show Profile
We had my grandmother, my mother, myself and my children living under the same roof for a few years. It takes some adjusting, but it was all for the best. Always someone around who cared about you, no matter who was home!

Jennifer

soon-to-be wife, mom to 2 teenage boys and 1 tween girl, companion to 3 cats and a dog. Always learning . . .
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  4:19:50 PM  Show Profile
It's amazing how you start to hear more and more stories of family coming together and sharing a home. If this actually happens for us I'm sure we'll have some adjusting to do. We're together a lot of the time now and it's fun to have 4 generations together, if a little crazy sometimes!

Amy

In every life there is a story, in every story there is a song.

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile
Amy, I don't think you're crazy at all. What you are doing is exactly what's missing in our society today...I think. It's sort of like when kids of all ages were in the same classroom. They learned to care for and help each other. Sadly, that seems to be a thing of the past. Maybe we're turning a corner and you are one of those leading the way. I see laughter, learning, compassion... You go girl!

May God bless you and all those in your wonderful group.

Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  6:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Amy, it may be a bit difficult at first but I'll bet your daughter and granddaughter will remember and treasure the time. You will too. God bless.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  09:30:30 AM  Show Profile
long ago it was comman place for generations (2, 3 and 4)to live together, and it would make great sence to do it again, especialy in todays world and economy...

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  6:36:22 PM  Show Profile
I want to thank everyone for warm encouragement and support. We are currently trying to figure out if we can afford to stretch this little house to make room for two more. Even the smallest renovations cost a fortune. Wish I had Mary Jane's carpentry skills! We really want to do this, so we're gonna keep trying. What an adventure! Thanks for listening and Hugs!!

Amy

In every life there is a story, in every story there is a song.

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  9:47:18 PM  Show Profile
This is really great! It will work out!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2015 :  5:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ally, I needed to hear that! The picture keeps changing so I'm trying to relax take it one step at a time.

Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Generations -- a Little Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page