Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 When you don't actually own chickens!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When you don't actually own chickens! Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6628 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6628 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  11:16:06 AM  Show Profile
Today, we were talking over on the thread about being addicted to baby chicks. I mentioned that I am a chicken wanna be but since we do a lot of traveling for weeks at a time, we think maybe now is not the time to have chickens. Soooooooo........ two weeks ago, I went with my daughter to pick up a goat and the lady had lots of beautiful hens about her farm. When I asked her what type they were, she said they were often called Easter Egg hens because their eggs were pretty colors and they tended to lay them everywhere so you had to hunt them down each day. One hen was sitting in a hay keeper for the goats, and the owner told me to see if she had any eggs. When I approached the hen, she got up and low and behold there were two pretty pale blue green eggs!! The owner told me to pick them up and keep them. They were still warm too!! My first time ever picking up fresh laid eggs!! The hen left in huff complaining all the way, which I felt terrible about! LOL.

So, I came home, blew out the eggs for a homemade bread recipe and crocheted myself a little hen. Then I placed them all in this little basket I made a few years ago. Voila! My own hen with real eggs! And when I leave in a week for France for three weeks, all will be well when I return.

A Farmgirl has to do what a Farmgirl's gotta do!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  7:00:29 PM  Show Profile
I love it! What a great story, Winnie. Have a fantastic trip to France. When you get back, I might want to pay you for a homemade crocheted hen of my own.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2015 :  7:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, it's lovely! I like what you did with the colored eggs! One day I will have some Easter Eggers!

Enjoy your trip! Maybe when you come back we'll have a French conversation! lol Bonne Vacance!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7016 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7016 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  05:20:16 AM  Show Profile
Dear Winnie, just a little note to tell you how much I love your FarmGirl attitude. You inspire me to be the best FarmGirl I can be.

Your basket, chicken, and eggs are adorable. So glad you experienced gathering the eggs yourself. It'll be awhile before my little ones are ready to lay and I have that joy.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  07:21:56 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE your intuition!!!! I wish I could crochet like that! I am desperately trying to teach myself, but am definitely struggling! And I had no idea that they would lay in various places! We have five of those chickens and love them dearly!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5201 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Winnie I love your basket!! and eggs and Little Crocheted hen! I just displayed my beautiful Egg I received from you, last year in a swap! We Hen and Rooster sat for our neighbors a few years ago when they went home to New York for 2 weeks!It was so fun!
Farmgirl hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

chickenmom
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Toni
Tucumcari NM
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2015 :  8:47:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chickenmom's MSN Messenger address
How adorable! We had backyard chickens for several years until a neighbors neglected dogs decided to kill them all for us. Haven't had the heart to replace the girls till now so Thursday we go and pick up our new babies! Very excited - will mostly be pets so only 4-6 of them but all will be loved!
Great idea Winnie!
Go to Top of Page

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  06:36:01 AM  Show Profile
That is very cool. I am happy that you now have your chicken and eggs to make you smile. I have let my hens have the run of the barn for the winter and every day is an Easter egg hunt for me. They lay them beneath the hay rack and cover them up. Have a great trip.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3108 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3108 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2015 :  12:59:15 PM  Show Profile
LOVE IT!!! Your crochet chicken is adorable. Did you use a pattern? The eggs are beautiful too. What a wonderful experience for you :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2015 :  2:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Cute chicken! That's my kind of chicken too! As a teenager, growing up the farm my parents raised about 150 laying hens and my younger sister and I had to gather eggs twice daily . . A LOT OF EGGS! My mom had two egg routes in town where she delivered eggs to folks. I was not fond of any of it! I'm not a wanna-be right now. I'm glad I have three neighbors who do have free range chickens and are our source for eggs!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic When you don't actually own chickens! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page