Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 From here to there-What's keeping you busy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic From here to there-What's keeping you busy? Next Topic  

miles2go
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Jackie
Canterbury CT
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I am new here. Nice to meet you all.
I am finding that this year is much different for me in the process of waiting for the warm weather to arrive because I am busying myself with making maple syrup. This is my first time and it is soooo yummy. I have seven children and a hubby so it will not go to waste for sure.
I am also growing some plants in my house in wait for their grand arrival to the great outdoors. I even have Gumweed growing inside that I rescued last year and I want it to thrive because I intend to make lozenges from it's blossoms.
I have been sewing some skirts because this year, instead of jeans all of the time, I intend to be a little more comfortably girly in a farmgirl sorta way:)
I am just kind of curious, what is everyone else doing to pass this time of year?
Have a great day!

Simplicity & Godly Sincerity, by Grace

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  2:46:00 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been clearing an area for a garden. We've been working on it off and on for about a month now. LOL. It is keeping us super busy, but loving every minute of it.
It is raining today, and expected to rain most of the week.
It's nice having a new farmgirl. Enjoy your time with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  2:54:51 PM  Show Profile
Jackie - welcome to the Farm :) What ages are your blessings? We are expecting number seven in August. I homeschool my littles, so they definitely keep me busy! We have started our garden, seedlings inside, and sewing some dresses for my girls. I'm hoping to make myself a couple "summery" skirts, but I'm not sure about making them work for being "really" pregnant. I guess I need to find some patterns :) I would like to crochet more dishcloths... i've gotten a few as gifts and absolutely LOVE them, but haven't made any myself. I did make myself a clothespin apron and it works quite lovely, though the clothespins get a little heavy (lots of clothing for lots of people, lol). Oh - and lots of dreaming <3

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  07:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I live in a city and keep very, very busy.

I volunteer 3 mornings a week at the grade school located half a block from my apartment building. I will be going on a field trip with them next Wednesday. I also teach 2 crochet classes in the after school program: beginning and advanced. I have some really talented kids. I am helping with sets and costumes for this year's play. They are doing The Jungle Book. I help make props, keep the kids in line and am crocheting 12, count them, 12 elephant tails. Whew!

On top of that, I am being considered for a position on the Minneapolis Advisory Committee on People With Disabilities. That will be maybe a couple meetings a month and possibly speaking at the city council meeting if I am approved by the city council.

Plus, I play Dungeons & Dragons twice a week. (I am such a geek.)

The garden, sewing, crocheting, housecleaning and almost everything else has gone by the wayside. <sigh> Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

miles2go
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Jackie
Canterbury CT
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile
Nice to meet you all! I love hearing all about what you've been up to, and thank you for the warm welcome. Shannon; congratulations on your upcoming new addition! My children's ages are 4,6,8,10,11,13 and 15. They are amazing. I realize that I have influenced their lives incredibly by being their mother, but they have also influenced mine so much. I am a better person for having them. Marie: Wow, you've been busy too! It sounds like a lot of fun! You sound very organized. My favorite game is Nancy Drew. Marly: Thank you, I know I will enjoy this time that I am a part of this group of amazing people. That is so great that you have been working with your husband. What fun! There is something so special about working outdoors together I think. Happy Spring everybody!

Jackie

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  07:21:52 AM  Show Profile
Jackie - I couldn't hep but chuckle.... that will be me in a couple years.... my kids are due in August, almost 21 months, 3, 6, 7, 9, and 11. They are every other year, though their ages do not reflect that, depending on the time of year! they were literally born in 2003, 05, 07, 09, 11, 13 and due in 15. I too often reflect on how much they have grown me.... how much they have changed me into a better person. My husband and i joke that we surely need A LOT of sanctification, as each child sanctifies us a little more each day :) I have never heard of using Gumweed blossoms for lozenges! SO. MUCH. to learn!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

miles2go
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Jackie
Canterbury CT
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  08:18:59 AM  Show Profile
I do homeschool as well. I find it to be very rewarding. I must admit I often feel like a failure when they are having difficulty in a subject but I guess that goes with the territory. There are so many resources out there. I love that homeschooling is so very creative. And yes, this is the first year I am to make lozenges. Hopefully it'll be from Gumweed blossoms, but if not, I want to do something with the Autumn Olive berries that grow in abundance here. They are rich in fatty acids and lycopene as well. Very very interesting these plants. I keep a journal documenting the plants on our property. I draw pictures of them and find out as much as I can. Another great spring project is dandelion jelly! It is also so much fun for the kids. I found a recipe online and made it last year. It tastes like honey. The kids and I went around and picked ten cups of blossoms, oh, and we made violet syrup last year too which was very helpful because the violet is anti- inflammatory and it helped my boy with his poison ivy. Lord I hate that poison ivy. it does cause one to look for creative solutions though.

Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic From here to there-What's keeping you busy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page