star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  07:08:36 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have wisdom to share on growing rosemary indoors. I have tried several times with the plants that are sold at the grocery in the produce aisle and I just cannot get them to survive. I am able to grow other plants in my home but rosemary continues to elude me. Thanks for any tips.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6998 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6998 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  07:43:14 AM  Show Profile
I haven't grown rosemary indoors, but I have grown it both in the ground and in containers outside.

Rosemary needs at least six hours of sun a day and likes it's feet dry. I seldom water my container rosemary except if it hasn't rain for weeks. When the soil is completely dry I water it deeply. Inside it may like a little misting if it looks like it is drying, but the soil is still wet/damp.

Also rosemary thrives in poor soil so I don't fertilize it. Rosemary really likes to be neglected, so less you fuss over it the better it likes it.

Good luck with your rosemary. It's one of my favorite herbs. My big container rosemary is right outside my kitchen door on the deck, and I cook with it several times a week.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  10:05:42 AM  Show Profile
I think I have been way too attentive to it...Thank you Sara. :)

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

GoddessintheGroove
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Heike
Sacramento CA
265 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  10:10:28 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Sara :). Rosemary needs little. Mine grows outside, but I only water it when it is very hot in the summer. I do give it a natural (fish) fertilizer in the spring, that's it.

FarmGirl Sister #2245
"A journey back to the roots..."
http://www.herbmagik.com

"Women with opinions, pendants, & KitchenWitches...all in one."
http://www.goddessinthegroove.com

Find me on FB: http://www.facebook.com/theGoddessintheGroove
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  11:50:04 AM  Show Profile
I currently have two rosemary plants growing inside--sunny window and go easy on the watering. They struggle but once you can get them back outside, trim it up they do seem to perk up. When bringing them outside remember not to put it in full sun right away. Even had some flowers appear once and a while.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  09:39:31 AM  Show Profile
I've had the same huge rosemary plant inside my home for 3 years now. I bring it in to keep over the winter and it sits in a sunny location on a cupboard in my kitchen. It looks a little tough by March, but it hangs on until I bring it outdoors in the spring when the nights are warm enough. She's a tough ole bird...kinda like me!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  10:05:08 AM  Show Profile
I have always had trouble growing Rosemary, too, Star. Your post reminded me of something I want to try. A few years back I saw a program on PBS, I think, where the lady showed how to grow Rosemary from simple cuttings from fresh Rosemary bought in the fresh spice section of the refrigerated case at the grocery store. She took the sprigs of Rosemary, clipped them into small pieces with just a few green leaves on each, leaving a small "stem" on one end. Then she dipped the tip in rooting hormone, and then placed them in seed starting containers filled with regular potting soil. She kept hers in greenhouse, of course, but I am sure she said you can grow it like this on a window sill or under a grow lamp. In time, her starts grew into lovely, lovely, lush and healthy Rosemary plants. I'm willing to bet if started this way, we will get much lovelier, healthier plants than the ones we have been purchasing at the stores or nurseries. :) Just thought I should share. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 10 2015 10:10:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6998 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6998 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  10:37:37 AM  Show Profile
Nini, I grow garlic from the ones I buy at the grocery store so sprigs of rosemary should work too.

Another way to get a rosemary plant is to pin the new growth of a lower branch to the soil. In time the area pinned will take root. When rooted the branch can be cut from bush and potted.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

GinnyM
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Virginia
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  8:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Thank you ladies for the tips! I HAD a 3 year old rosemary plant, she was just getting to the point of looking like a miniture bush. I was SO happy! But sadly, she died. I couldn't figure out why. I would take her out and put her on my deck during warmer days, and I'd bring her in, during the winter. I had successfully started cuttings from her, only to have them die a few months later. Little did I know, that you have to neglect them! Thank you so much for the great advice! I have recently purchased another rosemary plant, and I will take care of this one much better than the last, I PROMISE!

Virginia
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  05:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary is one of those herbs that thrive on neglect. It is actually tastier if it is grown under harsh circumstances. We can only grow it outside here in the Chicago area during the warm months. Indoors it enjoys a sunny window and very little else.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic growing rosemary Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page