naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  5:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Some of you may be aware that we lost our two beloved beagles, Daisy and Ollie within 4 mos due to illness. It's been devastating for me and my family, and I had fallen into a depression. No matter how I've tried to stay busy, a times I'd have my moments and would fall apart. Even my husband would just break down, as we never thought this loss would hurt us so much. When I hear about people abusing animals it makes me so sick I just don't understand it, they MUST be mentally ill to do such things, as most normal animal loving people are well aware of the love pets bring to out lives.

Lately I've been looking at dogs online, at our local shelter and I don't know why. I didn't feel ready for a dog. Maybe I'm just seeing how I would feel. My emotions are all over. The house feels so empty and their are so many reminders that at times it's unbearable. Even though the loss has been incredibly hard, we could use the financial break. I don;t mean to sound heartless saying that, but we spent so much money over the years, at times it was hard. Of course we'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

So Feb 28th my hubby and i went out for lunch. We discussed visiting the shelter just to say hi to the dogs. At the last minute I told him I didn't want to go, and really he didn't want to either. So off to lunch we went. While on the road we decided that we'd drive by the shelter and just in case we did decide to go, we'd pull in. Well, we wound up going.

About a week before I saw puppies on the shelters website. This is the same shelter we adopted Daisy & Ollie from in 2006 so they knew us. In fact I think everyone knew of Daisy & Ollie passing from my postings on facebook. (I'm friends with our vet and shelter on facebook).

SO, SIGH.....we walk in and mention that we are only visiting because of our recent loss, blah blah blah. We make our rounds and they they ask if we want to spend time with the puppies in the 'play room'...pure manipulation LOL. Most of the dogs were pits and it's sad because most shelters are mostly pitbulls.

So here we are playing with the puppies, litter mates, a boy and girl. About 3 months old. Very hyper and playing with one another. Very cute. They mentioned that the male had someone interested in him. My husband said "they can't be separated". I just looked at my husband with confusion. Were we really considering this? Seriously?

Then the worker came back and said if we wanted them both (no pressure she says), that we could have them for the sake of keeping them together, even though someone was interested in the boy.

Oh boy here we go. So my hubby and I sat and talked about it. and decided........yes. OMG what did we just do? , Ollie has only been gone shy of a month.

Then the worker comes back, we filled out the paperwork, references, etc....she comes back and tells us that she was told to "give them (us) what they want"....huh? It's strange how it all worked out, as if it was meant to be.

We were taking home 2 puppies. They took our pic for their facebook page, and I Just started to cry. To be holding a puppy, was too fresh, all I could think about was Ollie. Ollie died in my arms, the memories too fresh. but I knew this was not fair to the new puppies.

SO, I must say that having 2 hyper puppies is a lot of work! they are the sweetest things. They were rescued from Mexico. They are half wire hair terrier and likely lab. Their names are Chase & Ellie. Ellie is more brown and Chase has the white on his face. Here are their pics...

Chase & Ellie enjoying the sunshine: (this was Ollie's favorite spot)

Me and the puppies:

My son Joe:

Chase & Ellie waiting to eat:

My son Andrew with puppies:

Chase & Ellies Mom:

They love napping in our laps:

my husband Bobby:

It's so strange feeling sad and happy at the same time. I am having a little trouble getting 'close', especially with Chase, whenever I hold him I think of Ollie and get upset. I feel terrible about it and hope it passes soon.

I do care about these babies and will care for them as we did for Daisy & Ollie. I never knew how hard it could be having dogs, getting attached, losing them, etc. It's bittersweet for sure.

It's amazing though how fast they learn. It's been 12 days since we adopted them and they now know their names, sit on command, know the words 'cookie and eat'. Are learning to let us know when they need to go out. Their antics are hilarious when they run through the house, play together, steal one another's rawhide. I swear I think I'd rather give birth to twins, puppies are much more work LOL. Daisy & Ollie were adult dogs when we adopted them.

I know this has been a long post, but wanted to share some better news.

Can't wait for this snow to melt, then they can run in the yard.

In loving memory of Ollie & Daisy, forever in our hearts....

Daisy passed 9/27/14
Ollie passed 2/2/15

http://www.naturemaiden.com/ Handcrafted Soap & Candles
http://saratoga-rose.blogspot.com/ My published books & other writing.
http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/ Filled with everything I love!
http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/ Vintage Sewing Machine Parts

Edited by - naturemaiden on Mar 11 2015 5:40:30 PM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  6:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Sweet post.
Enjoy the pups. Daisy and Ollie want you to.
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  6:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful Connie, tears of joy when I read your post. Many happy memory filled years with Chase and Ellie that will intertwine with Daisy and Ollie's memories. Hugs Karla
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  8:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Connie! Those puppies look right at home with you and your family! Wonderful!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  8:56:10 PM  Show Profile
This is just the sweetest story from start to happy ending! Your photos say it all. I'm sure glad Chase and Ellie found you. They are so adorable. Give them a kiss for me.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7015 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7015 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  02:58:03 AM  Show Profile
Connie, so happy for you and your family. Loved reading your story.

Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  05:59:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your story and pictures with us. While Daisy and Ollie can never be replaced in your heart, Chase and Ellie will bring you fresh new joys and discoveries every day. They will help you stay very busy and active, along with building new & happy memories.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  12:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Connie, first I am so sorry for your loss. Second, I have never seen such pictures just so full of LOVE!!!!!! What a wonderful, heartwarming story with such a happy ending or beginning.
More pictures of those two cuties, please. Thank goodness for animal lovers. Hugs to all of you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  12:21:19 PM  Show Profile
I hate to say this but I am having a hard time adjusting. I want to move on but it's hard. Common sense of course said not to do this so soon, but why did we then? I wasn't trying to replace Daisy or Oliver. I feel so confused. Am I a bad person?

Edited by - naturemaiden on Mar 12 2015 12:22:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Connie,
You are not a bad person! Many folks move ahead right after losing a pet . . . it's a matter of the heart and need for love, for both you and the puppies! They will never "replace" but they will find a lot of love in your home and from your hearts! The photos say it! :D
Hugs to you!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7015 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7015 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  12:48:10 PM  Show Profile
There's room for memories and for embracing the new puppies in your big heart. Connie, grieve when sadness comes to you, and laugh when happiness covers you. Letting go and embracing at the same time is challenging but you have chosen to so; deep in your soul you have the strength & grace to do it.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  3:08:44 PM  Show Profile
Connie--I understand how you feel. When I adopted Jaxon after losing Boxer, I wondered if I'd made a mistake. It takes time to adjust. It took Jaxon a long time to really adjust to me but now I'm so glad I have him. He's devoted, sweet, and keeps me going when I feel down. It'll take some time for Chase and Ellie to adjust to you, and you to them. They're puppies and this is all so new to them. Love doesn't happen overnight--but it will happen.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  4:22:40 PM  Show Profile
thank you all for your support

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  5:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Kiss those pups on the side snoot (the sweetest part, in my opinion)
You'll feel better. Always does it for me.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  1:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Awwww... Connie! They are just so precious! I'm happy you're all a family now. I know how hard it must be, how torn you must feel, though - I feel the same way. Since we lost our Pawlee last summer, I just can't bring myself to even THINK about looking at another dog. I miss my sweet girl so much - I STILL get choked up just thinking about her! But summer is coming, and my son will soon join my hubby to work full-time, and they're super concerned about leaving me home alone all day (They don't mean to treat me like a child, I just have a crazy heart thing going on, and they worry... Not that a dog can pick up a phone and dial 9-1-1, mind you!). They've been trying to get me to agree to a new dog ever since Pawlee left this world. They keep talking up how great it will be for me to have another dog to spend time with in the garden, but... I don't know. The whole idea sends little electric pangs of owie into my heart. Every time I'm outside, she's still there. I just remember how happy she was under her lilac "tree," and how excited she would get the moment she would see a bird swoop down into the yard her tail all waggin' and her tongue flopping out to the side. She'd bark away telling them to stay out of her garden, and I'd just laugh. My great protector willing to take on all birds with a single bound! LOL! It's her place. Hers. I know there will never be another who can fill that spot under the lilac and in my heart like she did. Then again, I know there's a big space in my heart just waiting to be filled with the pitter patter of little paws again. And my foster daughter commented the other day how weird it still is to come visit without Pawlee being there, showering the love. And you know, we've noticed even the squirrel is a bit bummed: he hasn't come around nearly as often since she passed. <sigh> I guess everyone's feeling the void when they're here. She was just that kind of special, you know? I miss my friend so much. She was... the best. I need to come to terms with this. I need to resolve myself to consider her leaving as having made a way for a new door to open in my heart, where exists a warm, fuzzy place for a new furbaby to bound in and settle. I guess it's kind of silly for me to have all this love for this wonderful doggie who is now blissfully chasing butterflies in the fields of Heaven, when there are so many others that I could love and share life with while I'm here enjoying God's green Earth. I'll see her again one day, in God's perfect timing. Until then, me pining for her is kind of depriving myself and my family of the fullness of another great puppy love and lots of new fun experiences. I guess its as the saying goes, "The love in your heart wasn't put there to stay. Love isn't love 'til you give it away." Maybe I'll start looking once the spring fully sets in...

Love you, sister. Hang in there. Everything in due time. Let the door linger open for a while, and be kind to and patient with yourself as you go through this transition. You have such a big heart, with lots of room for everyone, and lots of love to share. In time, Chase and Ellie will find their own way into the special place in your heart that is waiting to welcome them, and they will definitely fill your life to the brim with joy!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 14 2015 1:14:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  2:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini, it's amazing how you describe it all, that's how it is. I could picture everything you described. It is sad to think of being alone. I feel for you. It's so good to be able to have wonderful sisters here that completely understand.

Actually yesterday I got out of bed and decided to make a real effort to change my attitude. I didn't think it was normal to be crying 4 months after Daisy died, and then Oliver soon after. I thought maybe I was nuts for crying so long, it's amazing the love we can get from a dog. I watched some training videos on you tube for puppies (Ollie and Daisy were adults when we adopted them), so I told Chase & Ellie yesterday "we are going to have a good day, we can do this"....and by golly the tips I watched on the videos helped a lot. With them being puppies it initially added to the stress. I am proud to say that we had a great day yesterday and today it good as well. I am finally starting to feel calmer, more accepting and slowly transitioning to this change.

I know I will still miss Ollie and Daisy but I want to give these puppies the best home, so I must make an effort. I do know that if we hadn't gotten them, being in this house alone all day would have emotionally drained me, because I went into a depression when Ollie died. Reminders everywhere. You know that feeling.

My husband and I were running errands today and he suggested going to mcdonalds for chicken nuggets for the dogs (we did this for Ollie & Daisy sometimes as a special treat). I personally don't care for eating there anymore. We pulled in, and then he said to leave, he thought if he went inside and ordered the chicken nuggets that he would get upset at the counter in front of everyone (because he'd be thinking of Ollie). So yeah, it will take a while.

I know there is a dog out there right now waiting for you, when the time comes you will find him/her. Spring is a nice time to bring a dog home. Bittersweet, but beautiful nevertheless.

All of you have been so supportive and I now know I'm not crazy for being sad, it's just new to me, and I want to be a good dog mom.

Hugs to you all, you all mean so much to me. This forum is a gift.

Edited by - naturemaiden on Mar 14 2015 2:05:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  08:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Your new puppies are so sweet. I'm so happy for you to have these 2 energetic balls of crazy to entertain you and give you something "new" to do and learn about. Every dog is different, just like every child is different. Your heart is just grieving and expanding at the same time. Hang in there and snuggle up with those pups! What a blessing for you.

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7015 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7015 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  09:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Nini, just a little note to let you know you are in my thoughts today.

Sara

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  3:35:24 PM  Show Profile
You really know that this was meant to be. These two cuties just needed a mom and dad and in your heart you knew you needed them. New babies of any variety are a lot of work but a lot of joy too. Congratulations to two very exhausted parents (lol). God Bless.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  3:50:50 PM  Show Profile
I am doing better, starting to bond without crying. exhausted yes LOL....but thank goodness they are picking up on the potty training. In the 2 weeks we've had them i swear they've grown. Starting to smile, and sometimes laugh. It feels good to begin to feel that joy again, however slowly. I'm so glad the snow is finally melting!! goodness i was sick of it. we just erected a pen in the yard until we get the 'portable' invisible fence back up- we had put it all away. making progress, slowly but surely. I'm so glad spring is around the corner, that will help me a lot, having been cooped up in this house has been torture.

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  5:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Awe Connie :) I'm so glad Chase and Ellie found your family! This is such a nice turn of events :) I'm so glad you're feeling better!

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.PracticalFarmgirl.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  12:58:09 PM  Show Profile
Awweee, bless your hearts for opening up your hearts and home to these 2 sweeties... creating more memories.
sending you 'furkid' hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  1:52:23 PM  Show Profile
Here is Ellie & Chase in my chair today, and after repeated attempts to remove them they insisted on relaxing in my chair LOL

Edited by - naturemaiden on Mar 17 2015 1:52:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
God Bless You and you family!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  3:12:12 PM  Show Profile
it's getting easier

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2015 :  6:58:44 PM  Show Profile
You and your husband are absolutely wonderful for taking in 2 more shelter pups!!! I know how hard it is to lose furbabies. Have lost to many myself over the years. Your pups will give you lots more good memories and your pain for the others will lesson over time but of course never forgotten. Bless your for opening your home and your heart. Hug those pups for me.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic you wont believe what we did Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page