Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Planting/Sowing In the Gardens has Begun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Planting/Sowing In the Gardens has Begun Next Topic
Page: of 2

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2015 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Today I sowed a pkg of French Breakfast Radishes & seeds for two parsley plants.

Next sowing days: Feb 15 ~ Mar 1 for Lovage; Allium nodding onion;
Calendula pot marigold.

What's in your garden?

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh man! French Breakfast Radishes are my favorite, Sarah! And while harvesting my Italian parsley and celery last summer, I cut the plants back to about an inch and one-half. Both came back and grew to full plants - I was so excited! I wonder if they'll come back this year... Well, we've got a few months to wait and see yet. We're looking at more snow this afternoon. Lucky you to be planting already! Enjoy! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  10:26:43 AM  Show Profile
Nini, glad your parsley came back. Here in Texas it's treated like a annual. We have to get a early start on plants so they are established before the heat of summer. We have a very short season for cool weather plants. We do get a second chance in the fall for some plants. Fall is a good time to plant new herb plants.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5123 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5123 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  12:54:16 PM  Show Profile
Sara! So exciting! I have Garlic starting to come up! and of course those crazy Daffodils! they usually bloom by the end of February here.

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  1:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Connie, don't you just love it when the first sign of green start showing. I didn't plant garlic last fall - I did the year before I really liked having it handy to kitchen door. Maybe next fall will work out for me and I'll get some in the ground.

I too have bulbs emerging. Will have to get my garden folders out to see what they are. From year to year I forget what I plant where so I keep records. I had them all labeled but when the man cleaned my yard of leaves the markers went with them.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5123 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5123 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  2:11:38 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Sara! Teri- White Sheep Farm gave me a Garden Journal in a swap and that has come in so handy for me to keep up with what did not do well for me last year in the garden. and what I transplanted last year too!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

PinkCsmtlgy
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Brandi
Martinsburg Pennsylvania
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  7:16:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm so jealous you get to plant in your garden already. Where I live t's far too cold. SO for now I am just thinking about what I want to plant and getting my garden planned.

Brandi
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  05:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Brandi, somehow I missed your post. No area seems to be perfect. We may get started early, but burn up by the end of summer. I read how my northern & eastern sisters are still harvesting after our gardens are finished.

One of the things I would like to grow but can't because of our too hot summers is French tarragon. So, I grow Mexican marigold - also known as Mexican or Texas Tarragon. It taste a lot like the real stuff.

Sara

Edited by - YellowRose on Feb 12 2015 05:09:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  9:29:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm envious of you in the garden. I have to be content with starting onion seeds for now.

Penny
Soaper and Not So Crazy Goat Lady

Celebrating Wholesome Living in a Colorful World
www.facebook.com/444Farm
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  02:44:56 AM  Show Profile
Penny, I've never started onions from seed ~~ always bought the sets. Do you start yours in flats or in individual pots?

Sara
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2015 :  8:55:56 PM  Show Profile
We're still waiting on the soil for our recently dug garden! But I've got my seeds ready! But I have started my herbs in some pots! DH is going to build me a shelf to put them on so they get the sun! I've got slow blot cilantro, sage, oregano, and....lemon balm!

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  09:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Ally you have started some of my favorite herbs. Fresh sage is good in dried beans.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  6:02:25 PM  Show Profile
My hubby has started parsley, onion tops, onions, tomatoes, okra, and beans. Can't wait for Spring!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  11:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Way too early here. We SHOULD still have snow on the ground, but we don't. Since our weather has been mild I've cleaned out our garden and started cleaning out my flower beds. This is work that usually doesn't get done until April.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile
We started planting our garden, and yet then we turned cold and wet. Not much is popping up. not even my potatoes! The peas have barely started, which is horrible considering they will all die in May with the heat! A local HUGE farm around here is really struggling, so I know it is not just something we are doing wrong.... We have SO MUCH water and the weather is just nuts.... freezing last night and in the mid 60s today! Just a couple nights ago we were in the teens (virtually unheard of for our area!) And more rain is headed our way! THe ground is super saturated!!! If we get hit with any hurricanes this year, our area is in huge trouble just due to the water!!! From late July to early September, a 60 day period, we got 52 inches of rain! On his 130 acre farm, he has lost 80% of his crops in the last few months! Yup - I have nothing to complain about!!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  1:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon,
Sounds like you have the opposite problem that we have . . . crazy!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  1:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Like CeeJay said "this has been a crazy year". None of my radish or parsley seeds came up, or if they did the birds got to them before I saw them.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  05:43:12 AM  Show Profile
Sara, how are your radishes and parsley doing?

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  05:51:31 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, they didn't come up. I'm not re-sowing. I wanted the radish leaves but not the radishes. I like the leaves cooked with spinach. In May when our Farmer's Market opens I can buy all the radish leaves I want for drying. A couple there grows several different kinds and sells most of the radishes without leaves so they sell the leaves separately.

Parsley is not one of my favorite herbs so if I need any I can buy it at the grocery store.

I have a lot of other seeds to sow in the coming weeks just hoping they will do better.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  05:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Sorry they didn't come up. I love your recipe for adding the radish leaves to your spinach. I'm definitely gonna try that.

With the ground getting warmer, I bet your next seeds you sow will sprout.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  10:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Well, it's snowing here . . finally! So, no gardening or yard work today! :D
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5123 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5123 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  1:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Ice, sleet, snow flurries here for a week on and off. So I'm Spring cleaning inside, mostly dusting book shelves and dish shelves. So when it warms up, I can stay outside! LOL!!
Some of Last year's harvest.
Farmgirl hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392

Edited by - Killarney on Feb 22 2015 1:53:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
My garlic is coming up, I just thinned my leeks from last year, and the onions from last year are perking up too. Today I planted a couple of different kinds of beets and some broccoli. Earlier this week I planted some lettuce, carrots, cauliflower, onions, leeks, broccoli and radishes. The pineapple express is bring spring about 3 weeks early to my area, so I am getting a jump on my cold weather plants. I am hoping to have my cold frame plants in by the end of the week so they can get going too. I just finished digging up the tail end of last years potatoes. They were delicious sauteed with a few leeks, rushed garlic, and grass fed steak.

My crocus are blooming, the daffodils have buds, and the witch hazel has already peaked. The plum trees are covered in buds. I hope we get enough rain this spring or it is going to be a very long dry summer.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2015 :  11:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I do like you ~ clean house when it's bad outside. About this time of year I start de-nesting my home. Gradually I put my knicky-knacky things away that I feather my nest with in the colder months. My hot weather my house is pretty bare; easy to care for; and seems cooler. Come fall I'll start dragging everything back out and by winter I am once again surrounded by all my things.

Sherri, you have been a very busy FarmGirl. Your garden sounds great. Leeks are one of my favorite things. One of these years I would like to see if I could grow them here in Texas.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5123 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5123 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  9:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Sara, My garden is under this snow!! The farmer's Almanac says we can plant in our Zone march 22nd! We shall see! This is the coldest it has been in March here in Years!! We have a frostbite warning for tomorrow! our 5 day forecast shows 68 Degrees for next Wednesday!! Crazy Weather for us all Winter!!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6953 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6953 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2015 :  10:20:05 PM  Show Profile
Connie, your picture is beautiful but I know what you mean about crazy weather. We had snow yesterday; most of it gone by sunset; so in the morning we will have ice where the melted snow didn't dry off.

On Feb 22 I wrote that none of my radish or parsley seeds had come up that I sowed on Feb 8. Checked first of the week and radishes were starting to show. Don't know how the snow will effect them, and sure don't know why it took almost a month for them to come up.

Still no sign of the parsley.

Sara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Planting/Sowing In the Gardens has Begun Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page