Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Mary Jane Feb-March 2015 magazine issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mary Jane Feb-March 2015 magazine issue Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, I have to tell you thank you for the full page ad of My Pet Chicken. I love colored eggs. This helped me decide what chicken I will be adding to my flock this spring. Lavender Orpington, Easter eggers, and Black Copper Marans are on my list. I have had Easter eggers before and they were such a docile chicken. Can you do an article on introducing young chicks into an established flock please.

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  06:30:27 AM  Show Profile
I certainly will do that. I've been needing ideas for how to keep chickens front and center. Farmgirls do love their chickadees.

So, how to integrate young chicks into an established flock? Check!

Keep in mind we work a few months in advance so it might take a while before you see it. We're sending our April/May issue off to the printer later this week.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  9:08:45 PM  Show Profile
It also might be interesting to see if there is any way to get a setting hen to adopt chicks purchased via mail or farm store. Thanks for considering the topic
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  05:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Kem - we have Easter eggers and love them! We do have one though, that got harassed by the others to the point she was bleeding so we separated her to allow her to heal. Once healed, we tried reintroducing her, but she PTSD and curls up in a ball! And then they harass her again :( we tried introducing her to our younger ones and she decided to bully them to no end, so she is still by herself and therefore not laying at all! I am really tempted to throw her in the stewpot, but I am hoping to try again with the younger ones again over the next month. Anyways, we love our Easter eggers! We saved our three other younger chickens from a farm that was not the best in cleanliness. The one had bumble foot, another was just really dirty and the third ciuldn't stand worth two cents. Now two of the three are laying :) the one last blue eggs... She is a white chicken. And then our black chicken started laying yesterday and she is laying light brown white white speckles. She was quite proud of herself yesterday :) Oh how I love my chickens!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  2:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kem, to answer your question about how to get a sitting hen to adopt chicks, well this was posted on the form awhile back, sorry I do not remember by who, any way it work for them. Wait until late at night with flashlight in hand quietly slip the chicks under sitting hen. I really did this and it worked for me. We used small light as did not want to fully wake her up, I also removed the eggs she was sitting on. Hope it works for you also. Hugs Karla
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  06:26:59 AM  Show Profile
Karla, I had been thinking about doing what you described. In theory, I thought it should work. I usually have two hens that like to sit, so I am going to wait until they start setting before I buy any new chicks. I have had Easter Eggers and buff Orpingtons before, but never the Black Copper Marans. I also want some little frizzles, cochins, etc.
I can hardly wait. Spring is coming
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mary Jane Feb-March 2015 magazine issue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page