YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7012 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7012 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  09:04:26 AM  Show Profile
For the last several days I feel like I'm in a war and losing it. Swarms of those nasty birds have invaded my yard and neighborhood. They cover the ground and trees; eat the bird food I put out; frighten off the songbirds; and leave a mess when they leave.

I scare them off by slamming my back door real hard, but soon they are back. Sometimes I wish I had a gun like Sally Field's husband in Steel Magnolias.

I love my backyard birds - the ones that mate-up and live here year round. I don't like flocks of birds like grackles that fly in just to eat, make a mess, than are off until the next time.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  12:01:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm having the same problem. While they are almost pest-like, it is amazing to see them fly by the hundreds from tree to tree. I have to make sure I keep my mouth closed as I look up (so as not to receive an unwanted 'drop' into my mouth).

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  1:07:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if it still works or if they have adapted, but for the most part grackles won't eat SAFFLOWER seds. Unfortunately some of the "nice" birds don't like it either. If you switch your feeders completely over to safflower seed, the grackles may go away, but I swear they send a lookout because the minute you put sunflower seeds back in...there they are - all 700 of them.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7012 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7012 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, you are too funny. I may have bad news for you. Only have seen a few grackles this morning. They were flying high and headed south. It's cloudy & cold here with rain later. I don't think they like bad weather.

Cindy you are so right about the minute you put food out the grackles are there to pounce on it. I try to feed early and at dusk. Cardinals like those times and they are the last birds I see in the late evening.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  08:59:28 AM  Show Profile
We have a grackle situation here as well. I'm amazed really considering I'm in town and you would think the noise of the traffic might induce them to buzz off-Not so! Summers are especially pesky. I find myself opening and closing the screens in my widows slamming them down-Kind of sounds like gunshot-It only lasts a second or two and they are back. I've finally given up on loading the bird feeder-The devour everything in sight and scare my more placid feathered friends away.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7012 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7012 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  09:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I am surprised at how far ranged they are. I hadn't realized they were a problem up north too. There must be zillions upon zillions of them.

They seemed to have moved on for the time being. The other birds are slowly coming back into my backyard, and the squirrels are venturing back. Grackles are the only thing I know of that will keep squirrels away.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile
We had a batch a few days ago, but luckily, there were a number of blue jays in the feeder too. I think the blue jays won, because the grackles only lasted a minute or so.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7012 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7012 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  10:21:36 AM  Show Profile
1 for the blue jays - 0 for the grackles - hurray for the hometeam.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  05:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Sara, thanks a lot for sending them down here! They were certainly here by the hundreds yesterday. The sound was almost deafening.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Not so many Grackles today. Maybe I sent them onto someone else. hee hee

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7012 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7012 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:53:28 PM  Show Profile
I had 2 on and off all day long. They must have missed the call to move on out. Did see a young male & female cardinal - such beautiful birds.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7012 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7012 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  12:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I've playing on my computer while watching the birds eat outside the window. A grackle just walked through a bunch of wrens/sparrows, and didn't brother them. I guess they're only bullies when there are hundreds of them.

Sara
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic War on Grackles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page