ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:45:54 AM  Show Profile
So what are you ladies up to this year?

We will attend the Thanksgiving Eve Service here on post (ecumenical and a pie social to follow -- Chapel services aren't denominational per se: Catholic, Protestant, LDS, Samoan and Contemperary at present; some posts have Jewish and Muslim as well) then eat at the Mess Hall the next day.

The Mess hall at Thanksgiving is fabulous -- it is a dress up occasion, ladies dress like ladies and the gentlemen are in dress blues or dress greens (here because it's a Cavelry unit they also wear black stetsons and spurs - silver for those who haven't been in combat and gold for those who have), and the staff goes all out. Traditional fare, ice sculptures, fancy deserts, etc. The senior staff also serves (Colonel's, Seargant Majors, etc).

Then we may visit friends who've invited us over for games, etc.

and THEN we are off to family camp the next day for two nights! Forest Home Christian Center! yeah!!

it's also beleive it or not my eldest daughters birthday on Saturdey.

We have much to be thankful for every year.

Blessings!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile
My Richie and I will have Thanksgiving at home. We actually get Wednesday off this year to so I am excited. We have the traditional dinner so I'll start cooking stuff on Tuesday night. It is just the two of us this year but I'll cook like there are 10 of us and we will eat lots of leftovers and make pot pie and all kinds of stuff. Thursday morning Richie will probably sleep in and I will cook and watch the parade. We'll eat around 1 and then take naps, watch football and snack on leftovers. Maybe rent some movies on Wednesday to watch. It is usually a pretty laid back day for us.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile
We have our nephew and his wife and baby (4 months old) coming to spend the day with us. They live 5 hours north. We were so excited to have theme accept our invitation to come down. It will be so fun to see them. So..there will just be the 9 of us here..I will cook a very traditional Thankgiving turkey dinner with the addition of fried okra...a tradition in my family. I froze okra from our own garden this year..just enough for that dinner. I will have to use storebought for Christmas dinner..when I will be cooking for close to 30!
Before and after dinner, besides the football games and all we will get to visit with some other relatives that will be here in town to visit (three other nephews who will be with their parents across town) I love Thanksgiving! Then Friday night our litttle town has a lighted Christmas parade. Saturday we will look for our Christmas tree and get out all the holiday decorations. It seems early this year, but I am just okay with that..haha. MY oldest son's birthday is the 27th and sometimes falls on T.giving. He loved that when he was little!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile
I am blessed to still have my grandparents. My dh, 2children and myself will meet my parents and various aunts, uncles and cousins "over the river and through the woods," at grandmothers!
Our job is to bring desserts, which my son has just about totally taken over!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  12:38:40 PM  Show Profile
I will be doing thankgiving this year, so thats my three kids their others, and five grand children, and usually a stray or two. So I usually figure 15.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  5:42:36 PM  Show Profile
We will be going to my parents house. It'll be just DH and I and them. My brother and his family may stop by after they finish with my SIL parents. Usually pretty quiet and relaxing, no big deal. Christmas is where we have DH's side come for dinner and that can be anywhere from 4 of us to 12 depending on who is in town.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Just me and hubby. We make a ton of turkey and food and just veg out all day. He'll watch the football game and I'll putter around with my crafts. The cats and the dog will beg for scraps, and I am sure there will be at least one hijacking attempt (of the turkey bones)...

I'm hoping we will also make a trip down to see the property as well... I'd like to get some updated pics for my blog.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  9:05:13 PM  Show Profile
We are hosting 21 new sailors (ages 18-26) for Thanksgiving. DH is in the NAVY so we always have "orphans" over on holidays. Our kids just know now to expect it, but I think it is important for them. Two turkeys and a large ham, mashed potatos, green beans, squash, cranberry salad, green salad, rolls and of course pies!

Have a wonderful Turkey Day all!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:15:39 PM  Show Profile
My little entourage will be spending Thanksgiving with my parents and grandmother. It's Arthur's first Thanksgiving, too bad there will be no turkey for him! He's still on a strictly milk diet, which drives William crazy - he thinks that for SURE the baby would like some lamb chops or whatever we happen to be eating, then he gets this really sad look on his face when I explain that Art just "eats" milk right now. I hope he doesn't think that I'm just purposely depriving his little baby brother of a good dinner!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Thanksgiving plans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page