Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Love is in the air Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  04:56:26 AM  Show Profile
February is around the corner and although Valentines is one day, we usually think of the whole month as the 'love month'.

What is your special nickname for your honey?
What is his special nickname for you?

And, here's a challenge....
Every day of the month of Feb. tell him or write him a sticky note of something you like or love about him.

If you're a single mom, then apply this to your kids.

Come back and share what happens!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  05:05:25 AM  Show Profile
When we were dating, I referred to my hubby as my 'stud-muffin' and he called me his 'twinkie'.
Now it's 'honey bunny' and 'sweetie pie' (not real creative)

We've been married 25 years and way back around the 7th year we hit a real rough spot and I questioned whether I would ever love him again. One piece of advice that was given was to make a list of 10 things that I liked or loved about him. I couldn't come up with anything. I had to begin with something as superficial as 'I like that he likes Mexican food'. It was a baby step. It took about 3 years before I realized that I actually loved him again.

In honor of that experience, I think my first sticky note to him for Feb will be that I like that he likes Mexican food. (we have a weekly date night and it is always to a Mexican restaurant)

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  12:17:33 PM  Show Profile
I call my DH, he is a musician and I shak-up with him, sweetie. I remember when I was a child it was very, very, bad to "shak-up with a musician". Now I'm doing it and neither of us would have it any other way.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  3:04:09 PM  Show Profile
I always used to my hubby my Woobie (like the little boy's blanket in "Mr. Mom"), because he was my warm security blanket who covered me with love and protected me through life's storms. Now that he's older, I just keep calling him... and calling him... and calling him.... Dang he is getting hard of hearing! LOL!

I can't recall right now... I don't think he ever really had a pet name for me. I think calling me his wife has always been a huge deal for him. That, and, of course, "What's for dinner?" or "Did you wash my work clothes?" ;)

I LOVE your idea, Catherine. If I used a sticky note, though, even if it was on his forehead, he'd miss it when looking in the mirror... Instead, I think I'll write him a note and put it in his lunchbox or wrap it up around his dinner napkin on the weekends, okay?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  1:28:46 PM  Show Profile
This is a great topic...I decided to make this year a very memorable year in every way. The first thing I am doing is letting everyone around me know how special they are to me....It is going to take a lot of paper and ink cause I am sending out cards by the hundreds...lol

I will do this for my DH and my DD. I call my DH Dear now. When we were first married it was honey bunny...in Spanish they call him Rafie and he loves it when I call him that. He calls me honey bunny and Marcheta.

I call my DD Dumplin, Plum, Preciosa and Sweetie Pie! My DH calls her Kayleta.

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Bible Research
www.jw.org

Edited by - marjean on Feb 03 2015 1:29:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  3:10:02 PM  Show Profile
Marie, cool, a musician for a sweetie. I bet y'all make beautiful together. hee hee

Nini, aka what's for dinner, you crack me up, girl.

Marsha, I am with ya on making moments memorable.

Before my mom's passing, she had decided on body donation instead of a burial or funeral. She figured, why spend all that money on a funeral service that she's not even at. She saw the funeral as something that is for other people to have closure or for other people to feel like they're honoring the deceased. She also felt like if those people that attend the funeral care about her that much then they'd take the time to keep in touch or visit while she was alive. If someone had something nice to say about her, she would rather hear it herself than for them to make a speech at her casket. It seems a bit crass but it also makes a lot of sense.

So, in light of all that, several months ago I committed to reaching out to people that have impacted my life and to people that I care about. Like Marsha, I've been writing letters explaining to them why I'm writing and how amazing they are. I want to have no regrets or 'I wish I had told them I loved them'. I'm getting it all said now.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  07:01:58 AM  Show Profile
My husband rides a Honda Gold Wing, and I hold down the back tire. When we went to Sturgis, I gave ourselves "biker names". I am Vixen, he is Spike.

Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  4:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa! Great names! I'm so jealous and impressed that y'all went to Sturgis. What a great trip for memories.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  08:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Babe for my husband and baby from him to me. We have been married 30 years. When we first got married we would sing I Got You Babe by Sonny & Cher. All our family thought it was great. We don't sing it now because we can't remember all the words! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs Marlee

God is the painter, he paints the picture. And his son builds it, for he is the Master Carpenter!

Silly Boys Trucks Are For Girls
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Marlee, how adorable that y'all would sing that song.

My ringtone on my phone when my hubby calls is Rod Stewart's "Tonight's the Night". I get some strange looks when my phone rings in public. Hey, it shows we still got some fire!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  8:17:24 PM  Show Profile
My DH is Schmoopie and he calls me Schmoopie Lou!
Nini, you just keep calling him and calling him...LOL!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  9:00:41 PM  Show Profile
LOL! You know it, Diane! You know it! LOL!

I have to tell you, girls... I'm seeing amazing things in him ever since starting the notes... He is smiling and giggling with me a LOT more, I'm getting more snuggles and kisses... It's really kind of sweet. I think maybe I started taking for granted that he knew I felt this way, and why. These notes are becoming a very beautiful thing between us, indeed! The other morning, he opened it while packing his lunch (which I prepare for him every morning). He came in, wrapped his arms around me, kissed me and said, "I love YOU because YOU care so much about ME!" And you know, sometimes I need to hear that, too! ;) Thanks so much Catherine for the inspiration. I think you're really onto something here!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2015 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Nini! That is incredible. How sweet and precious this has been for y'all. Getting more hugs and kisses is always a plus. I think the notes kinda make things 'frisky', too. hee hee

I've been dealing with a painful hurt knee and haven't written my notes for a couple days. I need to catch up. Hubby has even written a couple notes back. One day, he hid Hershey's Kisses around the house with notes attached. So fun to find.

It's fun to reminisce in the notes, too. Even though our minds and bodies are not like they were 25 years ago, it's nice to go down memory lane and feel young again.

I've been texting my kids every day with short messages of love or encouragement. They've said it has really made them feel better when they get them.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Love is in the air Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page