Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 New additions to our small farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New additions to our small farm Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  11:12:36 AM  Show Profile
I have wanted peacocks for so loooonnnnggg. The family that I buy hay from has an assortment of animals and I've always enjoyed their peacocks. At Christmas, I gifted them a freshly butchered 40 pound turkey from my farm. Two days ago she called and said she'd like to gift back some peacocks. WOO HOO!!

Here's a couple of pics. I have them sequestered in a pen for several days for them to get acclimated to our yard before I let them roam.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Edited by - cajungal on Jan 26 2015 11:15:46 AM

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  11:14:28 AM  Show Profile
Side note.....June of 2013, my daughter got married and had a peacock themed wedding. All these extra feathers sure would've come in handy. I have another daughter, but I doubt she's gonna have a peacock wedding. lol

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  11:15:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Catherine - they are just soooooo beautiful! What a blessing you've received! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7014 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7014 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  11:23:24 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, they are beautiful and soon will be roaming your yard. The only think I don't like about them is their cry - it's kinda scary in the dark of night.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile
I've wanted peacocks also. Yours are so beautiful. I thought I would go online to see if the chicks can be ordered. I will check craigslist as well.

Happy feather gathering Catherine!

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  06:06:38 AM  Show Profile
P.S. to my last post. Could you keep us posted as to the peacocks antics? They have a different voice I know and often roost in odd places like the ridgeline of you house. I'd love to know how they're doing.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  06:18:38 AM  Show Profile
I sure will, Terralea. I spent a lot of time in their enclosure yesterday so they'd get used to me. My biggest fear is that they'll roam off the property into the woods. I want to spoil them so they won't want to leave. (Kinda like my chickens)

I have a friend that's an artist and she has studied my chickens for some of her work. When I told her that I have peacocks she just about blew a gasket. She's coming over to study them.

I can't believe how utterly beautiful they are. Their feathers are so iridescent. Yesterday, as I sat there, I was in awe at the wonder and creativity of God.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile
We never had peacocks but when I was a kid, we went to a zoo that had them. The male rarely spread his tail but he did it whenever my mom mimicked a certain call. It was amazing.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  07:02:42 AM  Show Profile
I had peacocks for years. I fed mine inside the barn where I wanted them to roost at night, to protect them from predators. I penned them up in the evening and let them out in the mornings. Overall, they were very hardy birds. I think about getting more from time to time, but DH doesn't like their noises, I liked every thing about them.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  07:24:25 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful! Congratulations

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  5:49:48 PM  Show Profile
Just beautiful! Maybe in the spring there will be even more peacocks. Good luck with your new little flock.

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  4:15:32 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Catherine!

They are beautiful. If you ever want to barter some feathers for soap let me know :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  5:37:09 PM  Show Profile
If they aren't trained to come into a barn to roost, will they roost in the trees around your place? I wonder how far off the ground they like to roost? I've never met anyone who raised peacocks. Gorgeous feathers for crafting ... and weddings it sounds like!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, yes, they will roost in trees kinda like chickens will do. My friend that gave them to me has about 10 wandering her barnyard area. She has a few trees scattered around. I've seen the peacocks and peahens fly up more than 20 feet to reach a branch. It's a sight to see these large birds with almost 3 foot long tails fly through the air.

Sharon, I would love to barter with you. Let me know how many you want and if you want the 'fan shaped', 'full eye' or regular feather. OR ALL! I need to research when in the seasons they drop their tail feathers.

Kathryn, I'm doing the same thing as you did...feeding them inside the pen. I haven't let them roam yet. I'm giving it a few more days of 'training'. I just keep having this awful vision of them hopping the back fence into the 300 acres of woods. I'd never see them again.
I'll take some close up pictures of the feathers and post them here. They are so incredibly beautiful. God is certainly creative and an artist.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful picture, Catherine. I love to hear Peacocks. The first time I heard them, I thought someone was screaming in the woods. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  11:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I guess I need to do my homework on types of peacock feathers :) Let me know when you find out more info :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2015 :  05:56:22 AM  Show Profile
I have peacocks on my bucket list. I think it will happen this summer. I want a pair to start with and maybe more later. They are the most beautiful bird I have ever seen, have loved them since childhood.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  04:43:55 AM  Show Profile
The peacocks have been roaming the farmyard for about a week and have been quite content to stick around and not try to go into the woods. They return back to the pen for feedings but the rest of the time they just walk around with the other animals. Two of my turkeys have become best buds with the peacocks and they all take naps together in the afternoons. Cute!

We decided on some quirky names... Orlando Plume and Turk (for turquoise).

Below is a pic of Orlando with his plume all fanned out. So beautiful!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  04:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Here is the 'rear view' of what it looks like with their tails open.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7014 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7014 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2015 :  05:57:15 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, Orlando is beautiful strutting his stuff. Back view: not so much. How about showing us a pic of the peacocks & turkeys snoozing together. I would like to see that.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Aalea
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Lynette
Brookings Oregon
9 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2015 :  6:30:37 PM  Show Profile

One of the 16 baby bunnies (kits) that arrived on Monday! That makes 50 so far this winter! Our freeezer is full! I need Mary Jane's Rabbit Pot Pie recipe.

Azalea, Queen of the Forest
Farming and thriving in the Banana Belt of the Oregon Coast.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New additions to our small farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page