Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Speech Therapy Options
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Speech Therapy Options Next Topic  

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2015 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi, so my oldest daughter has a lisp that is pretty pronounced. She's in Kindergarten right now, but we are planning on homeschooling this coming school year.

Her Kinder teacher suggested she go to a speech therapist. However, we just moved to a different school district from the school she attends and this school district doesn't offer it for kids not enrolled in the public school here. The other school district we previously lived in however does, but we don't live there anymore so we'd have to pay.

This is a pretty significant expense on top of private schooling and since we are planning on homeschooling this coming year for her first grade, what are some resources that I can use for her and for my son who will be in Kinder this coming year? My other daughter doesn't have any speech issues at all and as a 3 year old talks clearer than my 5 and 4 year old.

Anyone else have experience with helping a child with a lisp? She doesn't have anything orally preventing her from talking properly, its just how she talks.

My main concern is her feeling like there is something wrong with her (when there isn't, its "just" a lisp), so I'm looking for resources that will be fun and not obvious that I'm trying to correct her talking.

Thanks in advance :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  05:28:47 AM  Show Profile
My youngest son was speech delayed and we began with a therapist when he was two. Our doctor recommended he be tested and we worked through a program the state of IL offers for therapy. It wasn't very expensive at all and it helped considerably. Talk to your doctor & see if your state offers anything like this. Can she get speech therapy at the public school even if you are homeschooling? That may be an option too.

Best of luck to you on this.
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  05:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Krystle, if you have health insurance, you might have coverage for speech therapy. You would need to call your insurance company and ask what steps are needed. Usually a referral for speech therapy gets paid for when your Pediatrician makes the referral, i.e. he/she writes an order for a speech evaluation that will get you into see someone within your insurance network. Your insurance will pay the bulk of each visit and you will be responsible for the co-pay according to your insurance policy. Keep in mind that the sooner you are able to professionally intervene with your daughter, the easier it is to correct the problem. Even though she is understood within the family, others outside of the family may have difficulty and that will set her up for problems with communication with others and making friends. Little things like speech issues can become areas that other children tease her about which makes your daughter feel bad about herself and feel rejected. I would suggest you at least get the ball rolling with a call to your Pediatrician, see about getting a referral and pay for an evaluation and see how long the Speech Therapist thinks it will take to correct the problem. At that time, you can discuss costs, things you can do yourself etc. It may only take a few months to correct the problem with exercises you can help with at home while she gets professional help to make it go faster. If you get some help from your insurance, it may be more affordable than you are anticipating. If you don't have insurance, the Therapist may have affordable payment plans. There is no way to second guess the costs and time until your daughter actually gets an evaluation and the therapist can talk with you about exactly what needs to be done and how long it usually takes. Good luck and I hope you can get the help you need soon!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Speech Therapy Options Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page