katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  11:41:59 PM  Show Profile
I must admit,,, I have addictions,,, yes more than one! lol!
vtg.Mixers, vtg.sewing machines, vtg. irons, etc...
Well I just counted up my Lucite/acrylic Grapes...
you know the kind,, the one's your mom's or grand moms had sitting on a coffee table...
I counted 32 clusters,
2 candle holders, and one hanging lamp that is quite heavy...
I have them displayed all around our T.V. room...
here are just a few...

Gee, I wonder if my hubby would noticed if I brought in a few more! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  04:58:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, I haven't seen those kind of grapes in ages! Love the lamp too.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile
Grace...you definitely are a Mid-century Modernist. Those Grapes do remind me of my childhood and the lamp.
No, your hubby won't notice another cluster, men never do. LOL

I have collections too but not as vintage as yours. I collect Angels, Bird Cages, Birds, Bird-nests,
Bird-eggs, Hearts and Vintage looking books and Journals.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Smiles and Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  10:35:21 AM  Show Profile
I have many as well. All of my yearnings are for heavy stuff. I once brought a small kitchen range (cast iron) home from my sisters in Wyoming. When my sister and I got to my house after driving for three days I must have gone in the house because my husband wanted to know if I had a mental illness when it came to claw foot tubs, heavy stoves, etc. My sister just smiled and told him I had a "Metal illness". I am a children's and family mental health therapist so her comment was perfect!

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  10:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Also, my husband told me he would buy me a nice cast iron wood burning stove if I got rid of my other two (I don't use them yet). I have not gotten a nice one yet so if anyone knows of one in good condition please let me know.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  1:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Terra- The Metalist... I Love It!!! LOL I would love a Claw Foot Tub...they are THE BEST SOAKER TUBS in the
World!!! I live in an Apartment...so that isn't going to happen but needless to say...I take showers because
there is no good way to take a nice Bath with Bubbles in a tub that is shallow and made like a box. LOL

I have a few other addictions besides the bigger visible ones. I love Starbucks Coffee and only have Starbucks
Mugs in my house to drink from. I love Jewelry...cheap or expensive! And I Love Journals and Great Ink Pens
to write with.

hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  2:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Hello, my name is MaryJane and I have a metal illness also. (That's hilarious.) Let's see ...eleven cast iron claw foot bathtubs. And counting. All of them in use at various times throughout the year. I also collect cast iron bed frames. I have probably 20 of those and sleep on one every night. The rest I use for guests, photos, and have several in our retail store for showcasing bed linens. Wood stoves? Only four!

About an hour ago I was organizing all my vintage wooden ironing boards with the intention of keeping only those that are super sturdy and functional. The rest (5) are going into our local second-hand store today.

Grace, when I was a teenager, one of my friend's mother cast and sold those kinds of grapes. Her house looked like yours!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile
LOL! These are all FANTASTIC!!!! I think I will tell my hubby he is "lucky" I am not addicted to more "heavy" stuff ;) I am addicted to Willow Tree figurines, fabric, and craft supplies :) My hubby says I am smelling and getting "my high" off the smell of fabric when I check my yardage (smh!)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  5:02:38 PM  Show Profile
I love it! I only have 3 claw foot tubs...one is a woman's hip bath and only about 4 feet long...one was found sealed off under the eves of a very old house in town with 3 feet still on it and the 4th in a paper bag next to the tub. My stoves are in need of repair. I'm looking for a cast iron bed and another stove as I write, I have 3 antique ironing boards (had two others but my husband snuck them out to the street before I could catch him doing it. Treadle sewing machines...at least 5. My goal is to use them all. One is a commercial on from way back and has steel case around it verses the swirly ones we all love and cherish. Yup...definitely heavy metal addiction...not in my bloodstream mind you...just in my life.

I have not put any of the claw foot bathtubs in the woods yet but plan on it as you have shown us in your magazine and book Mary Jane. As for the fabric Shannon, I grew up with my mom's sewing machine humming away in my house and my grandma's house as well. Such wonderful memories of fabric and buttons to dream on. I get high on spices as well. My sister's have gone shopping with me and have found me in the spice isle more times that you can shake a stick at.

Enough said. Thank you for normalizing my "metal illness". I've shared your comments with my hubby. He just rolls his eyes. Given the opportunity (and I would be glad to oblige), he would be a "tractor-a-holic". Don't ya just love the put-a-punk, put-a-punk, of a good running tractor?

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  9:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I am sooo glad to see I am not alone when it comes to addictions! lol!

Oh, Maryjane, I only have 3 vtg. wooden ironing boards... I would have more if my hubby weren't such a fuss! lol!
I keep reminding him, that I need 1 for each trailer, we have 3 trailer,, so I can justify my 3 ironing boards! lol!

I remember my mom and some of the neighbor ladies making these grape clusters, along with making those 'Rock' art, the kind that was made from colored rocks on a board, sort of like 'paint by numbers' bur with colored rocks instead.

(far right)
I love being addicted!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  9:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Our local 2nd hand store was delighted to get all my ironing boards today. I feel more purging coming on. That's the other part to collecting, knowing when to unload (fold) ... and start over!

Amazingly, I walked out of the store empty handed. A first. Grace, should we send you grapes when we find them:) That's the other component to the treasure hunt, adding to the collections of others. Although I won't be adding to those who have a metal illness. No boxing up claw foot bathtubs.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6916 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6916 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  05:13:52 AM  Show Profile
I have enjoyed hearing about your addictions, which I would rather think of it as 'my passions'.

I have been passionate about collecting cream and green enamelware for years. Last count I had over 100 pieces. I use them all over the house; the really crusty rusty ones I use for planters. I keep looking for more, but now I only buy what is unique, really cheap, or rusty enough that I don't mind putting holes in it for plants.

I have one smallish vintage wooden ironing board that I keep up in my walk-in closet since I do most of my ironing in there.

I don't have claw footed tubs or iron stoves, but I do have a vintage iron commercial water faucet that sits atop a 3' tall iron pipe in my garden. A cream & green enamel cup hangs from it and an old watering can sits by it. I can see it from my kitchen window and it's one of my favorite views.

Just love old rusty things in my gardens. I have 3 old milk cans, several really old watering cans, and rusty metal boxes; some with plants, others are just garden art until I have another use for them.

Another thing that keeps following me home is Victorian iron plant stands. One on my front porch, 2 on my deck, one in the backyard, and one in my laundry room.

I also like old wooden garden benches. Have a long one in my sitting room that holds my library of gardening and cook books. A small one in my bath room so I have a place to sit after showering. Others around the yard so I always have a place to sit when working outside.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 04 2015 05:15:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  08:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Gracie, you are too funny! I've been trying to imagine where you keep all of your sewing machines, mixers, etc.

Mary Jane, I'd LOVE to have just one good claw foot tub to set up outside for an outdoor "spa" . . .but, alas and alack, I have not been able to find any in acceptable condition.

I was tickled all shades of pink to find just one wooden ironing board this summer at a local thrift store for $3.00. I don't really NEED another one, but I'd take just one in good condition.

I have a collection of vintage sewing notions of every description, including buttons. Lots of linens which I love. Another item I collect are angels but they aren't necessarily vintage.

I have a collection of all kinds of tools and such that were at my family farm,things that we found in the shop, barn, house, etc. I suppose the largest of which is the John Deere corn planter that is sitting in my yard! I took this pic just before Christmas this year.

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jan 04 2015 08:58:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  09:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Both I and DH are addicted to dinosaurs. We have many nice, scientifically accurate (?) figures.

These two are always fighting but they are still friends.

These three have intellectual conversations. The parasaur has a crush on the tyrano rex.

We take in all eras of prehistoric animals who need shelter such as the mamoth with one tusk and Puff the Magic Dragon.

These are some others we have taken in including the rare albino giraffe.

This old tyrano rex was attacked by a dog. We give him a good life.

These are the only ones who behave well enough to be placed with some of my other figures.

These are the newest members of our dinosaur family. Jack and Barbie seem happy but he eventually left her.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  09:46:15 AM  Show Profile
Now THAT is a collection, Marie. Dinosaurs. And the addition of Barbie and Jack would put a smile on anyone's face. Thanks for sharing. I am lovin' knowing what it is farmgirls collect. YellowRose, I would love to find a Victorian plant stand. I have one wicker stand that is ancient.

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  4:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I remember Rock Art, I actually remember creating a Panda picture. Unfortunately I no longer have it.

Terra, I had to smile at "I only have 3 claw foot tubs". I would love one! My husband I'm sure is glad that I don't have a 'metal-illness'. Come to think of it, he does! That is why we have so much 'yard art' for projects

Peggy, check out your local Starbucks stores or kiosks. I found some 8 ounce packages of Holiday coffee for $3.97.

Shannon, I am just learning to quilt and am afraid of that addiction!

Mary Jane, I bet the second hand shop was thrilled to see those ironing boards. Your home must be so beautiful with all of those treasures. I love seeing you post by the way :)

Sara, wow! Over 100 pieces of enamelware, your home must be super cute too!

CJ, you need to share photos of the inside of your home with all the cute knick-knacks and collectibles you have!

Marie, have you seen this:

https://www.facebook.com/dinovember

I remember stumbling upon the website a couple of years ago, very cute :)

We started raising Large Black Hogs last year, they are so much fun and so sweet! My husband has always loved pigs and has a collection of 'pigurines'. I have started collecting vintage postcards of pigs and framing them. I actually found an old photo on e-bay of a Large Black piglet in England, circa 1915, very cute! I collect hearts but am very picky (no cutesy hearts here). I am quick to see hearts in most everything:)Oh, and I collect ribbon, I have always loved ribbon ever since I was a little girl :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jan 04 2015 4:52:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  5:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Bowls.. Old, new, ceramic, wood, stainless, pyrex, you name it.
I just love BOWLS!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  7:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh Thank goodness there is no cure! lol!

Maryjane, I am going to be back in Spokane the mid of Jan for a week, darn, if it weren't so snowy (driving the Pallouse this time of year is not my idea of fun)... I would drive down to Moscow,, to visit my favorite Thrift ... well actually I have 3 there.. :>)

And for all my farm sisters,,, I Luv all your addictions,,,
They say 3 is a collection, so I wonder what we have! lol!

And,,, MaryJane.. I am soooo in awe of you, you walked into a Thrift and left empty handed! Wow! I wish I had your discipline.

Marie, Luv your Dino collection...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  8:55:26 PM  Show Profile
addictions...LIFE !!!After loosing hubby,,,one takes a new look at life...money spent on things did not go with him to heaven...its made me look at life VERY differently....

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~*Terri*~~
Life is too short, it is just a vapor, live it like you wont have another minute with the ones you love......
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  07:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh Terri...I am so sorry about you loosing your hubby. I love mine dearly and he has had many medical issues. It's scary some times. Holler if you just need to talk.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Addictions... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page