Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 1st item done on 1954 pickup Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2014 :  09:15:43 AM  Show Profile
I know I am doing this backwards, but the only thing I had control of at the present. I found this in my husband's cousins junkyard. I finished this license plate with original colors for the year 1954. I have called in and can use this as my official plate when my pickup (her name is Savannah) is done.

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2014 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile
Pretty, pretty. I have a 1949 International pickup that was born on my birthday the same year. I had to fight with the state of Michigan to keep the original title. I won and they sent my original back with a current one that could be used for plate purchases etc. I have had the truck since 1972. Had the engine rebuilt, hand made brakes done, drove it up to the UP (Upper Penninsula) with our Harley Superglide in the back. Good, good, times.

We need to get back to refurbishing it. Lots of life in between when we started and now. Good luck with your project.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2014 :  4:59:05 PM  Show Profile
Kansas has pretty lax rules on antique vehicles. I had to file a lost title and got a new one. But, if I would have had the original, that would have been OK too. I didn't realize there were so many different rules in different states. Glad I purchased an in state vehicle. Terra, do you guys patch any rust spots? We are just getting ready to do some patch jobs and wondering what is best to use. Saw on a Facebook page that parts of other old vehicles (side panels, fenders, etc) work well. Our son is a welder. This will help with the small parts we are going to cut out and patch. Lots of fun regardless. Just got the upholstery pleather material from eBay yesterday and ready to start on the bench seat. Something else I think I can do. Have to do some welding and repair on frame and replace a few springs. I am looking forward to the process. Love doing this stuff.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Kem,
How Kool!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  09:18:32 AM  Show Profile
On the news last night I heard about a guy who bought a used pickup for $75 when he just got out of high school. He has been driving it to work for the last 40 years, and is now retiring. It has over 300,000 miles and is still going! Not a bad investment! And there is a certain amount of class in a "vintage vehicle".

Good luck with your "oldie, but a goodie"!

Susan

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  06:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a story. Maybe I will be so lucky.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16367 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16367 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  06:32:10 AM  Show Profile
How did the seat cushion work out? Details please! We'd like to vicariously fix up a truck:)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, We are in the process of searching for 4 inner springs to replace some in the seat before I recover it. I have a couple of guys in the area on the hunt for me. I know I will find them, just a matter of time. I received my brown fabric which is called pleather and looks much like what the seats in my grandpa's pickups looked like. My son is a welder and is going to reinforce a couple of spots on the frame for me before we recover it. I will post the picture as soon as I get the other springs and get it recovered. I know they are out there, just have to find them. Researching how I can add a bit of faded medium blue paint to blend with the green and rust/primer. I have been watching you tube videos and have gleaned quite a bit of info. about the process. I have a distant relative that paints vehicles. I am hoping I can hire him to add a bit of color and clear top coat to the original paint so I can preserve some of the patina and retain the vintage look of the pickup.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  1:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Kem, can't wait to see your finished truck! Good luck as you take it one step at a time!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  08:47:50 AM  Show Profile
The way it is going tit will be a while. Hubby will be calving soon and hat is a 24/7 job. I hope he can squeeze enough time in to pull of some parts we are going to hire done, like redoing the interior of the gas tank and other items like that. I hope to keep a journal and pictures as we go along. I canhardly wait until we take it for a spin.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  01:11:33 AM  Show Profile
Great plates Kem! That is awesome. I look forward to seeing your pics too!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 1st item done on 1954 pickup Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page