Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Washing dishes Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile
As I washed dishes tonight, I thought of Thich Nhat Hahn, a well-known peace activist and writer. I remember reading how he said that washing dishes is a spiritual experience. So as I washed dishes, I went through my gratitude list: grateful for clean water at the turn of a handle, grateful for hot water anytime day or night, grateful for the warmth of the water on my hands, grateful that I have dishes to wash cause that means I have food to eat. So that was my spiritual experience for tonight. I guess all work is a spiritual experience only we get so caught up in our little dramas that we forget it. I'm going to try to be more aware of spirit all around me, like tonight I saw the silver half moon against a blue evening sky. I think I'll make that a New Year's resolution--to see the beauty and spirit around me, even in the seemingly mundane things of life.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  7:44:08 PM  Show Profile
I love to cook and put out a spread for my family each evening. BUT, I do NOT like washing dishes. I avoid it. They pile up.

I could probably ask my hubby to do it, but he's been working hard all day and I want him to relax. I could make my grown kids do it, but they all have college homework and 2 of them don't live in this house but they're here for supper each night. I love having my whole precious brood around me.

I adopted the method you described a few years ago...giving thanks and praying while I wash. I'm not always consistent about it, but when I do I definitely have a better attitude about life in general when I'm done.

While I like pursuing a self-sustaining type lifestyle, I am definitely grateful for running hot water that doesn't have to be pumped or bucketed out of an outside well. I agree with you that having dishes to wash means I have food to eat and I am thankful for that.

Thank you for the reminder!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  05:50:32 AM  Show Profile
I am grateful for my Hunky Hubby because he does all the dishes! Did you hear that? He does all the dishes! He says it helps him with dry hands that crack in the winter time. I am sooooo spoiled!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2014 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile
I love washing dishes and doing laundry, myself. Crazy, I know, but I do feel like you do, Cindy, that it's a wonderful time for reflection and prayers of gratitude. To be honest, those are some of the most peaceful times during my day. I think I'm going to adopt your New Year's resolution as well! You are such an inspiration! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2014 :  2:49:52 PM  Show Profile
I don't mind doing dishes. I like to have music playing and then I light a scented candle when I'm done, my little perk :) It is a great time to pray and reflect.

Sherone, I am spoiled too! My honey will not let me clean the bathroom. When I mention that I want to take a bath, he jumps up and makes sure the tub is clean and then draws me a bath :) Blessing for sure :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2015 :  3:33:44 PM  Show Profile
I don't mind washing dishes, just dislike cleaning dishes that bacon was cooked in.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  09:01:19 AM  Show Profile
The beauty of being mindful or in the moment with each experience is that you don't miss a thing. You experience the richness and fullness of life and in doing so your level of stress is lowered. An attitude of gratitude (being mindful of that around you)is a prayer all by itself. Believe it or not the feel of the chair under my bum and the texture of these computer keys is a moment to remember. Touching these keys is like touching all of you. Your comments fill my heart and often sooth my spirit.

Thank you so much for that.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  09:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Several times last week I was blessed when a cardinal ate food I had put out. It's where I can watch the birds eat as I do the dishes. Doing the dishes goes much faster when I am bird watching.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Washing dishes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page