star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  3:03:06 PM  Show Profile
I love sprouts but was tired of just alfalfa and bean...I discovered SproutPeople.org and found you can sprout so many different kinds. What are your favorites? Right now, I'm enjoying dill sprouts and radish sprouts.

http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com/2014/12/grow-sprouts-at-home-in-less-than-5.html

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6944 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6944 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  3:42:28 PM  Show Profile
I grew sprouts for a merit badge. Liked the radish best. Would like to try watercress if I can find seeds for sprouts. There are several suppliers that offer seeds just for sprouting. A sample of seeds from a large lot is tested for foodborne pathogens. Not a sure thing but better odds than using garden seeds.

Botanical Interests offers sprouting seeds.
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/view/7801/Sprouts-Alfalfa-Organic-Seeds-LG/srch:seeds%20to%20sprout

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  4:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I have grown them but fell out of the habit.
I have a huge variety from a sample pack; I think it may have been from sprout people.
I may start some tonight. I have been craving fresh greens

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2014 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile
I think I would like to try to grow sprouts. How do you enjoy eating them? I know some put them in salads. I love greens and vegetables of all kinds so I may give them a try. Any special growing tips?

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  05:51:50 AM  Show Profile
I sprout a general mix that has a variety of seeds. If I don't put them on salads or sandwiches, I put them in my Vitamix when I make juices. If I get busy and forget about them and they get kinda yucky, I feed them to the chickens. They don't mind yucky.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  06:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Our favorites are a alfalfa, broccoli, radish blend and lentils. We use them in salads and instead of lettuce on sandwiches. We love them.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  8:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Just looked online about how to grow sprouts. Sounds like when you grow them in a mason jar they need rinsing several times a day and then you have to move them around to get the right amount of light and darkness. Do you girls grow them this way-seems like they need a lot of care? I will have to do a little more research to check out other ways of sprout growing.

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  12:09:47 AM  Show Profile
I've grown them like that. Now I use a sprouter. You do have to rinse them a few times a day to begin with, but it isn't that difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  05:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Carole. I'm sure the effort is worth it. I can bring my garden indoors for the winter and have fresh greens (sprouts). The info also said to make sure you get sprouting seeds instead or just regular garden seeds to reduce pathogens - like Sara was talking about. Probably best to order online?

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16383 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16383 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  07:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it's easy to call yourself a kitchen sink farmer. I let mine soak in water in a covered glass bowl overnight. Then I rinse them using a colander. Afterward, I put them back in the covered bowl (a see-through glass plate works good) and leave them on my counter where they're super handy and I can rinse them several times/day using the colander and continue to sprout them right there.

They turn out perfect. Once they're sprouted, I store them in the fridge. If I want them to last a long time, I also rinse them once I've started to refrigerate them.

I've found that if I make it too complicated or I put them in a dark place, I might forget about them. The way I do it is almost as easy as going to the sink for a glass of water. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a combo, sometimes just radish or maybe broccoli.

Love your tip Catherine for giving older sprouts to chickens, especially in the winter.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  1:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips. I am so excited about trying this-opens up a whole new growing season for me. I was extra lucky today-stopped at a local thrift shop and found lids with holes that fit mason jars. I think I will order seeds today and start small. I like the idea of storing in the frig, MaryJane. Any thing to make life less complicated!

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Rita, to your question about using jar and the effort of 'following the light'....There are a variety of methods. Once, I tried one sprouter that had a series of 7 cups with holes that had to be rotated. Omg, way too much trouble. I tried other plastic type sprouters and didn't really like them. I ended up going back to the first way I ever sprouted...in a qt size wide mouth Mason Jar with a piece of netting rubber-banded around the top.

I like using glass over plastic containers. The glass jar can be sterilized and plastic, not so much.

I put about a tablespoon of seeds in the jar. Band the netting on top. Put about a cup of water in the jar. You want at least enough to cover them. If you're concerned about the chemicals and additives in your tap water, you can use spring or distilled. We have our own well, so I use our regular well water out of the faucet.

Then you'll go through a series of rinsing and pouring out the water over a couple days. The netting on the top stays banded throughout the whole process. In the end, the sprouts will be a knotted mess and not look like the cute boxes in the grocery store but they'll be yummy.

As far as 'following the light'...you really don't have to. Seeds are gonna sprout whether in the dark or light. Plus, who needs that much work? Way too complicated! Like MJ said, make it easy like going to the sink for a glass of water. My jar stays on the window sill above my sink during the days of rinsing and sprouting. Then the jar goes in the fridge.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  7:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Catherine. I ordered some sprouts and can't wait to get started. We got a mix and also a small sample packet for my large parrot. I think she will enjoy picking at the sprouts and it will give her nutrition as well. I think I am going to love this type of gardening.

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  8:36:33 PM  Show Profile
I have vowed not to grocery shop all of January. It will be easy enough, except for the fresh produce.
Soo, I started a big batch of sprouts today, and bought a boatload of cabbage, which will keep, and allow for the occasional slaw.
But can't wait for some fresh sprouts!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  09:57:33 AM  Show Profile
2 bags of sprout seeds arrived yesterday and I started them today! I'm sure they will do just fine-you girls have given me a lot of help. Thanks

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Do You Grow Sprouts at Home? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page