sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  12:56:21 PM  Show Profile
This will be my first Christmas with out my Dad. I am trying to think of some special ways to honor him during the holiday. It is my hope that this will help me and my family during this emotional time. I wonder if you girls would have some ideas???

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  2:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sherone, after my dad passed away, my family had a wonderful time talking about him and all the things he did on the farm, good things plus the plunders. It was refreshing and healing! Just a special time where we sat together in the living room in their house (my mom had passed away three years before my dad) and sharing . . . tears and laughter!
HUGS TO YOU!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  2:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Sherone - If I am not mistaken, you said your dad was a truck driver and a veteran. Is there a way to do something special for one or both of these individuals in memory of your dad? Is there a truck stop locally where long distance truckers stay overnight that you could bring a pie on Christmas? Or a VA hospital you could visit? Or a veteran cemetery? Our family has found that helping others helps to not just bless those we are helping, but is also a blessing to ourselves. Many (((hugs))) and much love to you and your family!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  2:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sweet Sherone... This time of year can be especially difficult. I'm so sorry. One thing I do is try to find something special about the holiday that my loved ones and I enjoyed together, and continue the tradition, be it a special ornament or decoration, a special type of food, a special activity, etc. To me, it's also really important to share stories about our departed loved ones at the holidays. I don't want to ever forget them, and I want my son to "know" them and the joy they brought, even if he can't know them in person. Sharing the stories and traditions keeps the blessing of their precious love and who they were - and ARE! - alive through the generations. And I suspect that although we can't be "with" with them, somehow our loved ones are still around us, celebrating with us and loving us in spirit. Perhaps you would honor him best by asking everyone who loves your Dad to pull out their favorite photos of him and write down their favorite memories of him for you. Then throughout the upcoming year you could piece together a lovely keepsake scrapbook of your Dad to share with your family and friends at every Christmas to come!

Know that your Dad will always be with you, Sherone. You will "see" him in different ways now, especially in yourself. Nothing can ever really take him away from you. The most amazing thing is that you will always, always, always know and feel the warmth of his enduring love in your heart.

I will continue to pray for you, Sherone, especially at Christmas. God bless you, sister.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  4:40:39 PM  Show Profile
Sherone, I'm so sorry to hear that. This will be the first Christmas not having my dad and mom. My dad passed away back in March and my mom exactly one month later. I also lost my baby brother 7 years ago and my baby sister ten months after that. What I'm doing is thinking of all the good times I had with dad and mom. With my brother I made a scrapbook for my parents of my brother from birth til death. This helped me greatly. With my sister I planted a living tree sapling since she liked the earth and nature. Sherone you could have everyone write something special about your dad and then talk about it with each other. Hope it helps. Prayers are with you.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  7:04:32 PM  Show Profile
Laurie... That is almost more than a person can bear... I just want to give you a big hug and sit with you to hear you reminisce about your loved ones - I bet you have wonderful stories and pictures to share! Love to you, sister.

Sherone, Girls - I will be thinking of you and praying for you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2014 :  8:37:55 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Thanks so much for the warm hugs. I really needed that. It is hard.....but I need to be strong for the rest of my family. If we were closer I sure would love to share my fond memories. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic First Christmas Without My Dad Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page