Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Living in Tennessee-are you out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Living in Tennessee-are you out there? Next Topic  

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  11:04:34 AM  Show Profile
I moved to Tennesee awhile ago & I am looking for any sisters I may have out here. I live in Middle Tennessee on a 2 1-2 acre homestead. Hi!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Take care of the land and it will take care of you.

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  10:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Howdy neighbor. I'm in Middle Tennessee.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  12:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Someone close. Do you know of anyone else out there? Maybe we can do a get together sometime.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  2:50:31 PM  Show Profile
No, I don't know any other MaryJane's Farm gals around here.

Hugs back to you.
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  4:44:47 PM  Show Profile
That's just wrong.

Well, how are you?

I have one chicken who has been moping around here since we moved here in May. She started moulting in June,and hasn't laid an egg since. My husband keeps threatening to put her in a stock pot. It is true, all she does is eat and poop, but she is still our pet. Next spring, I intend to enlarge our flock to about 30 chicks. Most of them will be slaughtered for family food. We will keep some for eggs, and some will be pets as well.my daughter wants one of those Easter egg chickens. The kind that lays the pastel colored eggs. I just like knowing where my meat and eggs come from.

I also intend on growing enough vegetables to last my family for the whole year. The problem is, I have arthritis, degenerative disc disease,and several other problems that keep me from doing as much work as I would like to do in my garden. Gratefully, I have a daughter who will help me in the garden.

Enough about me, tell me about you and your farm.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2014 :  06:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Well, right now I am a Suburban Farmgirl at heart. You are blessed to have your daughter to help. My husband has health issues and can no longer work in the yard or garden. And my city banned chickens, goats and other farm animals except on property that is zoned rural. I guess people were complaining about the noise and smell of some people's chickens and so forth. I wasn't going to have a rooster or anything larger than a pygmy goat, but I think those days are behind me now.

I do garden a lot and grow some fruits and vegetables like paw paws, elderberries, goji berries, blueberries, ground cherries, dandelions, walking onions, peppers, horseradish, taro, salsify, sunchokes, sweet potato vine, tomatoes, amaranth, and a raised planter full of herbs. Have a mulberry tree ... and some black walnut trees in the back woods. And lots of flowers. I also grow several varieties of greens and chard.
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2014 :  07:13:33 AM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2014 :  08:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Carole, what a beautiful garden. Plenty to keep you busy and your kitty looks like she is very happy.

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2014 :  5:49:01 PM  Show Profile
We plant lots of butterfly flowers too. This year, we are planting Trumpit Flowers for the hummingbirds & butterflies as well as lots of other pretty flowers.

Since we only just moved here this year, I really didn't plant a lot. As soon as we moved in, we planted two apple trees. One Granny Smith & the second one is unknown (but we got it for half off, since the nursery lost the plastic stake that gave the name & info). The ground hasn't been worked for years & I just wanted to see what would happen, so I planted Roma tomatoes, 1 jalapeño pepper, some corn, green beans, & just for ground cover, sweet potatoe vines. Then I started having trouble with an irregular heart beat & lost track of my garden.

. (Sorry--don't know why it's upside down).

Cardboard around everything was our way of trying to keep weeds down. As you can see, the sweet potatoes took off like crazy!! Actually ended up with over 50 pounds on spuds. Very tasty for something I only wanted as ground cover. We mowed over the beans when the weeds overtook them. We never fertilized or watered anything. My daughter kept freezing the tomatoes & peppers & I made tomato sauce the end of September. 8 pints of sauce & 6 half pint baggies of diced peppers. We had enough corn for several dinners & it was very tasty. Had a few little black worms on them, but were easily picked off. I also thought I had planted a zucchini, but it turned out to be a big orange pumpkin! Nice surprise.

Anyway, next year will be better. As long as my body doesn't toss me another 'little problem '!!

Carole, your garden path is lovely as is your kitty. We have a Jack Russell Terrier & a rescued Rat Terrier/Chihahua mix puppy. Oh yes, and that chicken. We call her "Her Magesty".

Good night. If I'm not back before, Merry Christmas.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2014 :  01:47:34 AM  Show Profile

Here you go. I flipped it for you.

I've done the same thing with cardboard. A type of Lasagna Gardening. I have a small bed out back that has cardboard over it now. There are one or two onions in there but I haven't been able to get more soil yet or felt up to adding anything else.

Happy Holidays.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5119 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5119 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  10:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I'm not in your part of Tennessee, I am in flat West Tn. LOL! But, I love my state, born and raised here! and have been to many parts of Middle and East Tennessee.
Just this summer We went to Paris, Tn to see the mini Eifel Tower, just 2 hours away, it was so neat! and donated By Christian brothers University in Memphis.

We live on 3 acres of woods in Arlington, Tn. about 20 miles from Memphis.

OH, I am excited to try the cardboard this year!! I have just a small garden, I have MS and So when the heat sets in, the weeds take over! Do you put rocks or anything to hold it down?

Farmgirl Hugs, Connie
Imagine.... #3392

Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  2:17:52 PM  Show Profile
I usually put straw over the cardboard. This picture was taken probably in early June. So I didn't have the straw down yet. But usually, just watering the cardboard down real well will keep it close to the dirt.
I'm happy to hear from another Tennessee gal.
With all this cold & wet weather, thoughts of my next garden are dancing in my head!!
Good luck with your next garden.

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5119 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5119 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2015 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile
Dream Books to get thru Winter!

Connie
Imagine.... #3392
Go to Top of Page

beachymom
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Kathy
Manchester Tennessee
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  06:12:07 AM  Show Profile
I get the Burpee mag. I get several others, but I only use the Burpee or I buy local seeds from local growers. I figure, if they're good enough for the locals, if good enough for me. Oohhh!! I can hardly wait for spring!!!

Hugs and Squishies!!

Kathy

Farmgirl Sister #3983

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Living in Tennessee-are you out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page