Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Fermentation - Anyone doing it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fermentation - Anyone doing it? Next Topic  

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  2:45:57 PM  Show Profile
Wonder is anyone has joined the fermentation addiction? It is fascinating, healthy and really fun.
I'm fermenting all types of vegetables, several fruits and making some really healthy wonderful drinks.
I don't use any whey in my fermentation; it's all salt, filtered water and in some of them, spices.
It's a great way to preserve your veggies!

It's amazing what some of this stuff does for you. I used to be lactose intolerant and now I'm not. I can eat cheese for the first time in years and years. I haven't tried ice cream yet.. who knows.

What have you tried? Recipes? Results?

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  3:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely yes! I'm using some of the recipes from nourishedkitchen.com So far, sauerkraut, kefir, kombucha and pickled radishes. I love it!

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  7:39:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bart,

I LOVE fermenting veggies! I was introduced to Nourishing Traditions a few years ago and I have never looked back. It just makes so much sense to me. We have 6 in our family and 4 of us have had challenges with food sensitivities. After trying to eliminate challenges from our diets - hard when everyone is sensitive to something different - the thought came to me that, if we strengthen our digestive systems while making the food easier to digest, we could cut down on our sensitivities.

Ever since then a staple in our diets has been pickled peppers - I've done them with and without whey until I could tell if the whey bothered my one son. I love processing them (well, that's not my favorite part - all the chopping and roasting), putting them in jars and letting them do their stuff for 3 days! I've also done cabbage/sauerkraut, gingered carrots and cucumbers/pickles.

I feel like these foods have been a blessing to our bodies. I try to include them at lunch and dinner; I even use the 'juice' from jars to make our 4 year old's ground up food more digestible. Love it, love it, love it!

Sometimes when we open the jars they fizz over the sides - occasionally there is a mild explosion. We always joke that its not every house that has to protect their eyes when opening their veggies :-).

Great post, thanks!

Dena
Farmgirl 5620
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fermentation - Anyone doing it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page