Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  8:30:27 PM  Show Profile
I recently stumbled upon [url]this[http://www.foragingtexas.com\] blog and it is FANTASTIC! A great guide to wild edibles found in Texas and other parts of North America that includes clear photos and even nutritional and preparation information. It is a must-read for both, the curious, and the avid gleaners of nature's bounty.

Anyway, I thought I'd share with my fellow Farmgirls!

“The closest we will ever come to an orderly universe is a good library.”
Ashleigh Brilliant

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  04:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Ashley, I'll check it out, and see what's growing in northeast Texas where I live. In what part of the state do you live?

I see you are new to the farm. Welcome, you're like it here.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  04:43:47 AM  Show Profile
I went to the Foraging Texas site and printed out the list of edible plants. Somehow my new printer printed 2 copies. I will send the extra copy to anyone that wants it.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  09:06:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome! I live near Houston about 10 miles from the Gulf Coast. I just moved back after spending five years in Denton while attending UNT and teaching the year after. I definitely know where Paris is!

Have you done any foraging before? I identify the plants, but haven't really had the nerve to eat any of them yet

“The closest we will ever come to an orderly universe is a good library.”
Ashleigh Brilliant

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  09:32:33 AM  Show Profile
I haven't foraged but am tempted every time I pull up dandelions. I am working on earning merit badges so I will work my way to the one about foraging.

I ate Poke Sadat when I was growing up. I remember that it was poisonous except for certain times of the year. The old folks knew where it grew but didn't share location with others. Same thing with elderberry bushes. Even today women that make elderberry jelly don't tell where the bushes grow.

I met a woman from Dallas that came up to Grayson County to forage for plants, to use in wild crafting that she sold in her shop. She guarded the locations where she found the really neat things.

I gathered dried plants up & down the country roads for my crafts and wreaths but never venture off the beaten path down to the creeks. My guess is that's where all the really good stuff grew.

Just talking about it makes me want to go wild crafting again. Maybe I'll start with my own back yard. Paris has a walking trail that goes for miles through town that may be a place to check out. I just love it when I have something new/old to get excited about.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  05:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, I'm in the Houston area, too! The foraging site is wonderful.

I'm not far from the Jesse Jones Park where they give free classes and nature walks on foraging (among a myriad of other classes). My family has attended events there for years. If you get the time and don't mind traveling to the north side of H-town, I encourage you to go check the park out.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  08:05:09 AM  Show Profile
Ashley and Catherine I'm in the Houston area also. Ashley I live in Alvin about 20-30 miles from Galveston.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  12:10:57 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I didn't know we had those kinds of
Programs in Houston! I'll definitely look into it!

Laurie, I live in Alvin too! Small world!

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo! New Texas friends Ashley and Laurie!! We gotta make plans to meet up some time after the new year.

I know it's a bit of a drive for y'all, but I think the programs at Jesse Jones Park and the Mercer Arboretum would be so interesting and beneficial. Especially since most are free or very inexpensive...because they're paid for by all our county and city taxes.

My absolute favorite resource is the Montgomery County Extension office in Conroe. Again, well worth the drive. You could keep yourself busy almost every day and weekend with all the programs they offer. I homeschooled my kids and they did everything there and had such wonderful experiences. Usually, the extension offices are full of volunteers that are self-made experts and love teaching other people. I can't speak for the other offices because I've only had experience at Montgomery. But, it is well known and respected.

Every Wed. the gardens and orchards are open for visiting and the members of the Master Gardening Association are there to guide and answer questions. The buildings actually have huge rain harvesting containers and they have free handouts on how to set up a small system for your home. They're fruit tree sale is coming up in a couple of months. It's a great place to get plants and trees that are varieties that grow in this area.

I'll come back and post the links to their sites.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile
http://www.hcp4.net/Community/Parks/Jones

http://www.hcp4.net/Community/Parks/Mercer

http://www.mcmga.com/

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  1:28:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Catherine for the info. I've been here at MJF since 2002. Ashley where in Alvin do you live? Brazoria county extension office has some groups like the ones you posted.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Awesome, I'll look into it! I live in the county near Liverpool. I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so any outdoor activities are nice for my toddler and me :)

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1682 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  4:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I know where Liverpool is. I'm north of you off of Hwy. 35. Out in the country but in a subdivision. I have 3 grown children and a 1st. grade granddaughter. I do have a veggie garden which is not growing anything in it at the moment. I sew a lot. Taught my granddaughter how to sew over the summer. I also do quilting and numerous kinds of needle work. I'm retired and stay at home.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart

Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  6:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Indiana - but some of the food listed on the site grows here too. Thanks for the post!

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile
I have a 14 month old toddler, been with MJF since 2011, and have two grow boxes with chard, garlic, and catnip, plus a window box of other herbs. My husband and I are looking to buy a house, so the grow boxes are all I can do where we live.

I also sew, *try* to do needlepoint (usually the $1.99 squares at the craft store), and blend essential oils. I just taught myself how to do basic knitting, which I really like! I have a horrible time controlling my tension with crochet and never finish the project because my yarn gets too tight :(

I cannot wait to get settled somewhere so that we can have a few chickens. As a kid, we had chickens until I was 8, but deed restrictions kept us from getting anymore when we moved that next year. I've always missed having them. I also lived in France during college and LOVED it. That is where I started understanding and learning about food and farming practices. I went there wanting to learn the language and came back with an obsession with food :)

Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  07:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Yello Rose I tried to email you, but something is wrong with my windows. Wondering if you still have that xtra copy laying around? I am going to need it for when I move yonder way. THANK you!

HAPPINESS IS BEING A MOM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6949 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6949 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Anna, the problem might have been on my end too. I've had several dropped e-mails this week.

Let's try it again. I found the extra copy and am happy to send it to you when I have your snail address.

It may be a little early but Welcome to Texas!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  07:24:44 AM  Show Profile
Ashley and all of you other Texas girls! I am in Texas too! There is a facebook page for foraging also by Merriweather (sp). Has lots of good information and articles. I have found lots of stuff in my own acreage after reading the articles.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2015 :  6:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ashley, I will certainly check that out.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello from another Texas farmgirl!
Thanks for the info. :)
Blessings,
Catherine Ann

www.lovecatherineann.com
http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Texas Wild Edibles! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page