Author Holidays: Previous Topic To Theme or Not To Theme Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  07:16:14 AM  Show Profile
Do you have the same decorations on your tree every year?

Do you do something new?

Do you mix it up and combine the old with the new?

Do you choose a theme?

When my mom was still with us, she had a tree in every room and each tree had a different theme. In her large den, she ended up loving her cowboy themed one so much that she left it up year round. It had ornaments made from bandana fabric and a cowboy hat at the top. After all, we do live in Texas. hee hee

I guess I do a mix of old and new. Our main living room tree is decorated with ornaments and memories from my and my hubby's childhood. Of course, as we had kids, new memories were being made and added.

To fulfill my creative and nerdy cravings, I have small trees around the house that have a definite theme. My hubby's fave is the 'Star Trek' tree. Yep, we were Trekkies in our younger days, costumes and all.

So, do you theme or not theme?

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3466 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3466 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  09:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Catherine
We too theme a little bit. I have one table top tree we decorate with white lights and snowmen. A mid sized tree we decorate with stockings and mittens. We have a tree made from an old tomato cage wrapped in garland that is embellished with knee hugger pixie elves. Then our big tree is decorated with ornaments that my children have made through the years or ornaments we bought as a family.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile
Catherine - I change up the theme of my tree every year! Sometimes I use different decorations in the attic (pink and peach Victorian, white angels and silver, red and white, country - all sorts of different combinations!), other times I get creative with items around the house (like my son's baby toys when he was an infant - my favorite tree ever!) or from outdoors (holly and berries, etc.). Every year, it's beautiful and different, but I always make sure the important ornaments are on the boughs - ornaments my son made when he was little, his infant ornament, his first little pair of baby sneakers, our wedding ornament, etc. It's fun to let your creative juices flow!

And I would LOVE to see your "Star Trek" tree! We're sick Trekkies (no costumes - just can't pass up a movie or display anywhere!)! LOL! My husband even made a really bad video when we were at Universal Studios 20+ years ago. He was the captain... They told him not to do his Kirk, which would've been AWESOME. Instead, they wanted him to get creative. Let's just say, he's not quitting his day job! LOL! But what fun! For years, our son thought Daddy was a movie star! LOL! Anyhow, I probably wouldn't want to do that as our main tree, but they guys would go GAGA over it in their man cave! :)

Hugs - And live long and prosper!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 05 2014 10:53:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  1:19:27 PM  Show Profile
We always get a Fraser Fir for our big tree each year. That one has ornaments with sentimental value, passed down from my mom and my husbands mom. We have ornaments from important things in our history, such as when we went to Ireland together, there's one from the Athenaeum in Vermont where we were married, the Mill Race Inn in Geneva IL where we had our reception, and the lighthouse from South Haven MI where we vacation every year.

We have a littler "blue Christmas" tree. That one has blue glass ornaments, and sits across the room from the big one, on a window bench. We also have a 5 foot tree with all origami ornaments in our dining room. All three of the trees have white lights. Someday I'd like to have a little skinny tree in my kitchen with candy and cookie ornaments. My mom used to have that and it was so cute!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Joyeux Noel! ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic To Theme or Not To Theme Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page