star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  5:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Advent starts tomorrow! Do you have your Advent wreath and candles ready? We will be setting ours up and do the family blessing tomorrow and then attend evening prayer/vespers. That Sunday evening prayer service is such a welcome, peaceful time during the busy season and gives us time to remember why we celebrate. What are the traditions your family has to slow down and enjoy each other in the Christmas season?

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6617 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6617 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Starletta, I have a small Advent wreath set up beside my desk with a chosen good to read passages from this year. We celebrate Advent every year and I love the tradition of the quiet approach to Christmas!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  10:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful Wreath Starletta!! I love advent season! The lighting of the Candles at Church is so peaceful!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  11:03:12 AM  Show Profile
We love Advent, too. We have daily morning prayer, focusing on and meditating on a special Scripture for the day, and Sunday nights we also read Bible passages together and prayer time before lighting the candles! I really love Joanna Bogle's book, "Book of Feasts and Seasons," which gives so much insight as to the different feasts we celebrate throughout the year, including the meaning behind many of the traditions and activities we participate in. She even explains how to make an advent wreath and the symbolism behind it! You might also enjoy her wonderful series called "Feasts and Seasons" that used to be featured on EWTN. I'm not sure if it is still being run, however, you can purchase her DVD about feasts and seasons during Advent and Christmas through EWTN - it is wonderful. http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/Home+Page/MULTIMEDIA/EWTN+HOME+VIDEO/All/FEASTS+AND+SEASONS+ADVENT+AND+CHRISTMAS+-+DVD.axd She explains so much and offers simple, traditional recipes and activities to share with the family. Just love her. Very simple, very old fashioned, very meaningful, very Christmas!

And Star - I absolutely agree - that is a BEAUTIFUL wreath!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 05 2014 11:04:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2014 :  4:41:01 PM  Show Profile
BEAUTIFUL wreath. All my life I got an Advent calender from my parents or grandson. I put them up each year and open up the little doors each day. I also send them to my grandgirls each year and they love them. I also have an Advent wreath with candles we light every week and an Advent devotional that I read daily. It is so much of the holiday tradition to me.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Advent 2014 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page