MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  11:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Hoping I'm not the only famgirl who likes to surround herself with little random remembrances. When I put my office together I flanked it with cubby holes and book shelves. Last weekend, it was time to do some cleaning/sorting. Here are a few treasures I snapped photos of. What are some things in your space that bring you happiness?

I think the most recent catalog of Victorian Trading is gorgeous!

How about this precious photo of CJ's daughter and mine.

Vintage naked dolls? Yes, they were a recent gift from Angel Whitt (AngelHeart), Sister #1718.

And here and there I found old greeting cards I haven't been able to part with. One of them is 10 years old!

And also a recent gift of "jar toppers" from Sara Knight I'll use on Christmas gifts this year.

And a necklace I've been thinking I should wear but for the longest time now I just keep it in its box smiling up at me.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  12:07:32 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, I loved seeing the things that bring you happiness. So glad you like the jar toppers.

I don't post pictures but I'll share some of the things in my home office/guest bedroom that bring me joy.

On the twin bed is an old trunk tray which holds family photos & a favorite tea cup/saucer.

Across the room from my computer hangs a picture of my grandmother and one of my mother & aunt when they were 4 & 6.

On another wall is a picture of roses that hung in my grandmother's dinning room.

Seven tea cups with yellow roses sit across top of an old wardrobe.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  12:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a sanctuary the way you've surrounded yourself with the women in your family. Who said "things" don't matter?

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  5:43:32 PM  Show Profile
I love this post, MaryJane. Some of the things around my house that bring me joy: the little notes I have saved and tucked here and there from my daughter and husband, the framed photo of Audrey and me from the "cherry pie" article that ran in MJF (sitting in the hallway, I pass it a hundred times a day), the red glass cake plate my mom surprised me with years ago, old photos of my grandparents, the collector's dolls my daddy gave me, the pottery my daughter made me in school and surprised me with, and recently, a little box of treasures: I bought a sewing cabinet from a lady at a tag sale. It had been her grandmother's, then her mother's. I brought it home, cleaned it up, and organized my sewing room. After polishing it up, it is so beautiful, so I sent her a photo and thanked her again. She contacted me the next day. She's moving and can't take everything. She wanted me to have her mother's thimbles,and a few other little, beautiful things. There are 61 thimbles, packed in a cool old cigar box. Some of them are over 100 years old, and each one has a hand written note inside as to where they came from. These were her something her mother really loved. She wanted someone to have them that would cherish them as well. It literally rendered me speechless.

Having things we love that are sentimental makes a house a home, don't you think?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  06:07:49 AM  Show Profile
61 thimbles with notes tucked inside? That would make my heart sing!!! Glad they found such a good home. How wonderfully rare.

Somehow, sentimental surroundings keep me on track. I'm not sure how, but they do. Just little reminders that moments of happiness have happened and will again. But 61 thimbles??? My goodness, that is precious.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile
I am just so touched by the whole thing. It inspired me to put little notes in the ones I have picked up as to where and who and when (if I can remember) I got mine. Such a cute idea. The fact that this sweet lady wanted me to have them floors me.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2014 :  2:02:59 PM  Show Profile
So fun to see all of your treasures in your office MaryJane!! among several sentimental treasures, I have a family photo of when I was 4 and we traveled to Indiana to celebrate my Grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary in one of those old station wagons with the wooden siding. It must have been cold because I was dressed in those hot wool leggings that matched the wool coat back in the 1950s. Instead of a curtain, I have a bunting made by my friend Kellie hanging the width of the window. In between the fabric triangles, I use little wooden clothespins to hang cards and keepsakes from my Farmgirl swaps. Every time I look up, I can get some "Farmgirl hugs".

I love hearing what other Farmgirls have int heir offices that have a special meaning.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2014 :  01:40:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your treasures MaryJane, I loved seeing the photos you posted.

Sara, your guest room/office sounds beautiful!

Nicole, MaryJane could not have said it better (61 thimbles with notes tucked in would make my heart sing), how precious is that?

Winnie, I love the idea of a bunting to hang sweet mementos. I have a frame with wires that I use to hang photos, and cards also with clothespins. Farmgirl hugs and smiles for sure :)

I don't have an office as my Mom lives with us. Mine would no doubt have photos of my honey and cards from special friends. It would also most likely have some antique items too. :) Oh, and a small frame that holds a simple drawing of a heart that my husband made :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Office Tidying Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page