Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Countdown to THE concert - Updated with the Review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Countdown to THE concert - Updated with the Review Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  1:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I'm so excited.

I'm a "new" James Taylor fan. Believe me, not "young" but "new." I've always heard of him, but never listened to his music...UNTIL this summer when I started listening to his songs. Oh my gosh! The lyrics in his songs are incredible. Profound. Relevant. Touching. The tunes moving. I am mesmerized. Anyway, I have tickets to his concert this Saturday! I bet seeing him perform some of his songs live will make me cry...am I getting old or what?! He simply speaks to my soul. Anyway, I find it weird to just discover a singer/songwriter who has been around "forever." Any other JT fans here? Have you ever had the experience of just discovering someone like this whose been around "forever?" My husband thinks its a hoot. I used to complain about him putting on his James Taylor cd's, now he's getting tired of constantly hearing them.
Countdown to the concert: 5 days!

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

Edited by - country lawyer on Nov 20 2006 10:39:09 AM

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  1:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
OOOHHH, Rebekah. You are in for a MAJOR TREAT! He's still as wonderful as he ever was. I'm so ancient, I still remember the first time I went to a James Taylor concert here in Louisville. Not only was he 'over the moon' fantastic, he proceeded, about midway through the concert, to introduce an unknown(way back then) friend of his, Carole King. Then she got up on stage, sat down in front of a baby grand piano, and sang her own songs! She was a total unknown then(late 60's, early 70's). Tell us all about it afterwards!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  2:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Color me green....I LOVE JAMES TAYLOR!!!!!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I love going to concerts. I never heard of Kenny Chesney until 5 years ago. I was a snob, would never, I mean never listen to country music.My husband and I had first started dating. I would make him change the channel. Until one day I was home sick and flipping through the channels and I came to CMT. They had on a special were they followed Kenny around for a few months. I was in love. And I was converted. Now all I listen too is country. We had Kenny's song, Me and you as our weddding song. And we have been to two of his concerts.
Have a good time!!!
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  2:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rebekah! What a great time you'll have!!! I'm so excited for you! I've never seen him in concert, but love his music. Believe it or not...and as silly as this sounds, I just recently discovered Nat King Cole!!! Too funny huh?? I watched a documentary on him and just fell in love with his beautiful smooth voice. So see, you're not alone. Be sure to report back and fill us in on the concert! Hugs, Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah,

You are in for a wonderful treat....HE IS GREAT IN CONCERT!!!!!!!!
The last time I saw him in concert was a few days after September 11th. I left the concert thinking it was the best concert I had ever seen in my life. We walked out of the concert hall and I could see a bunch of people and candles. I told my husband I wanted to go and see what it was all about. My husband mentioned we had to get up for work the next morning but I insisted. There was a huge grass roots memorial for the September 11th tradgedy. It was a huge circle with pictures and candles, letters and poems. It took us more than an hour to see the entire thing. The band came and walked thru as well. It was one of the most touching nights of my life.
I think he is as good in concert as he is on his albums. ENJOY!!!
LAura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  4:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I have been a James Taylor fan, big time, since the 1970's. I mean I know the words to his songs, and I can tell you he, like good wine, has improved with age. He still speaks to me in a way that is unexplainable.

I pop in one of his CD's and my heart calms down. I am so excited that you get to see him live. I saw him in West Palm in the early 70's. He performed in the same concert as Carole King. That was a memorable night for me!
Have fun!

Ephesians 1:17

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 13 2006 4:31:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile
I went to a concert of his last summer, now I am a huge fan!!
Have fun!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  5:52:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, lucky you! I saw him in 1970 at Michigan State University. The tickets were $10 (a fortune back then) and I went with my girlfriend's older brother (the only person I could find that was available to go with me).

A cute story: a couple years later my boyfriend and I were driving down a country road one night in Michigan listening to Sweet Baby James on the radio. As James was singing, "...and rockabye sweet baby James" we spied a mailbox with the name "James Taylor" on it. It was hilarious and I swear we were not smoking anything funny.

Please come back and report to all of us on the concert!

Edited by - susan kate on Nov 13 2006 5:52:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  7:29:50 PM  Show Profile
Count me in as a long time JT fan. If it's a bad day and I put him on I can't help but feel better, even when he's singing about something sad. Can't explain it but I'll take James over Prozac anyday! His brother Livingston is good too, check him out. JT's kids w/ Carly Simon sing too( Ben Taylor Band and she's just Lucy Taylor I think). I've seen James and Livingston over the years and am always sorry when we can't make a date that they play near by. Not too many people I have listened to for 35 years and still get excited to see! We try to go to the outdoor venue
he does that we can set up picnic spread and lay out under the stars while he plays. Can't beat James and being with your sweetie under the stars! Have a great time at the concert Rebekah!
I "discovered" John Gorka about 10 years ago and wondered where I had been. If you aren't familiar with him, he has this voice that just...well you have to hear it. I would like that voice singing to me every day...or night!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Nov 13 2006 7:32:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  7:45:18 PM  Show Profile
Rebekah- I have loved James Taylor since I was in the 7th grade!! That was the year Sweet Baby James came out!! Yikes, I'm really dating myself, aren't I? Have a great time at the concert!! You lucky girl. :) His new Christmas album is wonderful. You can listen to a bit of it at this link: www.jamestaylor.com (In the Bleak Midwinter is one of my favorite songs and he does it beautifully!!)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  10:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rebekah! You lucky girl! My auntie-the "cool" one, introduced me to Sweet Baby James when I was in junior high. He and Carol King have been long time favorites of mine! Such soothing, soulful music!
Sadly, I've never seen him live... Recently I saw a concert on tv & thought "even with no hair, he still has the sexiest voice alive"!
Have a WONDERFUL time at the concert! And we will want DETAILS! Set list etc... LOL

And speaking of just discovering someone who's been around...I am suddenly a huge Beatles fan. Never was before...just lately! I remember when they first came to the USA and were in all the newspapers. They had a concert in Chicago & my Gram was convinced they were devils "with all that long hair"! LOL I was of the "yeah, yeah, yeah" Beatles generation...never cared for that much, but their "newer" stuff is really wonderful! I especially like the "While my guitar gently weeps" era. So I guess I am an old, new, old Beatles fan?
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I met JT's mother at Convergence (handweaving and spinning convention) in Minneapolis about maybe 12 years ago. (No, I couldn't sleep thinking about this, I think maybe it was in Virginia at the Mid-Atlantic Fiber Arts conference...)

We were getting on an elevator and this elegantly dressed lady got in with us, she had the name tag just like us, she seemed to be alone, we asked her to join us...

At dinner she said "perhaps you've heard of my son, James Taylor?" and I nearly fainted! My other two companions claimed they didn't know him.... I don't know how that was possible....

When I was a teenager, I listened to Fire and Rain and You've got a Friend on a 45 record until I wore the grooves off....

Anyway, she was working on a beaded bag. A handcrafter, just like us! And a very very nice lady.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 14 2006 9:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  12:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Isn't he originally from North Carolina? Did she say anything else about him? That is a fascinating story! Wow!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow..I love James Taylor too. I have only been to a handful of concerts in my life..that is one I would love to go to for sure. I have to live vicariously through you so be sure to report! It sounds wonderful!! His music feels like my backdrop for my early teen years..aging myself for sure, right?
and by the way...I LOVE Kenny Chesney too, Alicia.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile
THE COUNTDOWN CONTINUES....TWO DAYS!!

I knew I'd probably have some comrades here who adore James Taylor! I think it's neat that he is timeless...how many singers with top 40 hits TODAY do you think we'll be listening to in 35 years?! (Gosh, I just had a flashback...I sound like my Dad back when I was a teenager...)
Janice, that sounds like an incredible concert! What ever happened to Carole King? Is she stll around?
Tasha, I got out my crayons! I love to color! By the way, you're so young (color ME green), I think it's fascinating that you like JT! How did you learn about him?
Alicia, I don't know who Kenny Chesney is...is he the guy who was married to...whatever her name is? Geez...I need to order People magazine! I'll check him out though. Country music is not my first choice, but I've been known to listen to Dolly and Johnny Cash and George Jones and the Dixie Chicks (much to my husband's dismay.)
Luzy, Nat King Cole is another one that my husband puts on and I roll my eyes. Okay, I'll give good ole Nat another chance...I'll listen with an open mind this time!
Jennifer, I bet you saw the same show I'll see. Were you a fan previously? Was the concert breath-taking?
Susan, I wonder if THE James Taylor ever lived on a country road in Michigan? Nah. Hey, are you sure about the not smoking something funny part of the story?
Oh, Bramble, if I could see him under the stars! I think that's the only way I could enjoy the show more. But, he will be at the Fabulous Fox in Atlanta...it's a historic theatre that has stars on the ceiling...guess that counts! I've seen that he has a brother named Livingston and one, now deceased, named Alex. There is also a sister, Kate. What a talented family, huh? Wow. I'll check out their music as well. And, John Gorka? I've never heard of him either. I've gotta get with the program.
Karin, I love, love, love that James Taylor Christmas CD. I agree with you about that Bleak Midwinter song and also River. Awesome.
Rhonda, That's what it is! I didn't realize it until you said it! "Sexy voice," indeed! Mmmmm...yes, that's definitely it. And, Rhonda, that's what I needed growing up...a "cool aunt." The Beatles are another one that my husband listens to and I just haven't grown to love. My husband plays their music on the CD player and also on the guitar, so I'm kinda on overload with the Beatles...going on 16 years of marriage, too. But, with your endorcement, I'll listen next time he puts on a Beatles CD with an open mind. I promise.
Brenda! Oh my gosh! Incredible! What a story! His Mom? That would be an interesting meeting for sure.
Jpbluesky, That's me too. He speaks to me that way too. The combination of his words, his voice, that guitar, those back-up singers...man sakes alive...goes right to the heart. What CD or period of his music is your favorite?
By the way, Jpbluesky, he IS from North Carolina, you're right. He's had some hard times personally (according to the Internet), perhaps that's what has molded him into the philosopher he is.
Aunt Jenny, I'll definitely report back in. I love to go to concerts...I actually went to The Wiggles concert yesterday with my daughter. Now, that was fun...not earth-shattering or breath-taking, but pure fun.

As James says, "Shower the people you love with love."

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile
Rebekkah- Have a truly grand and lovely time! Fill us in when you get back!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  10:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Reporting in on the James Taylor show...
in one word, INCREDIBLE!!! As it turns out, the concert I saw is called "1 Man Band." It's just JT, his various guitars and a piano player. That's it. No band, no backup singers. What an intimate performance. I gotta tell ya, that was one of the best concerts I have ever seen...EVER! Well, in fact, it was indeed the very best. I like him even more now than I did before! (didn't know that was possible) Not only is he an amazing singer and talented musician and profound song-writer, but he is also absolutely hilarious. He was so funny and engaging he had the audience in stitches. It was a wonderful evening. If you get a chance to see this show, you should! INCREDIBLE!

James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  8:46:01 PM  Show Profile
Glad to hear it was all you hoped for and more. Nice to know he still has "it" too! I am so happy that you enjoyed yourself so much!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  4:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow - just wow. Wish I could have been with you. He is the best.

To me a real concert is just what you described. No need for fireworks and back-up orchestras, bright lights and special effects if the talent is REAL.

That is how I like men - REAL.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Nov 21 2006 5:01:08 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Countdown to THE concert - Updated with the Review Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page