Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting for Victory-VEST completed!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting for Victory-VEST completed!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile
1/7/2015-- Scroll down to see the the completed photos. It was such a fun project!!

Veterans Day is an important day in our nation because we set aside this day to commemorate all of the men and women who have bravely fought in war. November 11, 1918 at 11 am was the official end of Wold War I between Germany and the Allied Forces. It was known as Armistice Day until President Eisenhower and Congress put into law on June 1, 1954, that November 11 would be known as Veterans Day to commemorate all Americans who served in the wars up to that point.

In WWI, women roles in the military were limited to administrative duties or nursing. However, the need for help in supporting our men in Europe, began the Red Cross Campaigns of Knitting wool vests and socks for our men fighting on the Western Front in France,Belgium, and other places were the winters were brutal and cold. WWI brought the practice of Trench Warfare where men were housed trying to break through enemy lines. The trenches were full of water, snow, mud and little shelter. The army issued boots leaked water and men's feet were cold and subject to all sorts of problems from lack of warmth and dryness.

Hence, the Red Cross set up a national campaign for women in the US to Knit for Victory.

Local Red Cross chapters provided the drab olive army issue yarn color, needles and patterns for wool vests and socks. These items were sent to the men wherever it was cold for extra warmth and better protection of their feet. Wool has a way of wicking away moisture from the skin while providing better warmth and protection. It is also not flammable which was also important.

The success of this campaign was so great that it was re-instated again during World War II. There were all sorts of campaigns here in the US for ways that everyday people could help the war effort. There were Victory Gardens, sewing classes to remake and mend clothing, campaigns for scrap metal from homes and many others.

This summer, I had the delight to visit my oldest sister who is now 87 years old. We were talking about the days of WWII when she was a young girl living at home. Come to find out, my mother, encouraged her to join the local Junior Red Cross Effort to Knit for Victory. Since my mom could only crochet, she was unable to participate in the knitting effort. But my sister, who was a teenager at the time, did know how to knit so she knitted one of the regulation vests. Fascinating bit of history!!

My sister and I decided that I should knit the same pattern for the vest and be the "bookends" for the family. She is the oldest child and I am the youngest and the only two who like to knit. So, I came home, researched the Red Cross archives and found the original vest and sock pattern. I had to special order 100% drab olive wool to get the right color as I was unable to find any in town.

So, here is my progress to date.

I am working on the back side and just starting the part where the armholes are located. So far, it has been pretty easy to do but this is my first garment so I know the v-neck front is going to be a challenge. However, we have a wonderful yarn shop in town with many talented and experience knitters so I know I can get the help I need. They were sort of amused at the whole project when we researched the location and ordering of the yarn.

I purchased enough yarn to also knit the sock pattern also known as the hospital sock pattern.

The pattern is a tube sock one so that one size fits all. They were used in the war front but also in the hospitals where heat was often not available in the big wards.

I still have a long way to go on this vest, but I hope to finish it in the next few months.

Do you have a Knit for Victory Story you can share?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jan 07 2015 07:17:15 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  06:35:52 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a story, Winnie. I want to applaud your sister for knitting for our servicemen in WWII. And I am proud of you for following in her footsteps. Sending both of you a hug of appreciation and pride.

So glad you shared her story and all the stories of the women who knitted for our men in harm's way.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  06:52:57 AM  Show Profile
good for you Winnie! Can't wait to see the finished vest and sox!
I don't have a story, but the mill where I send my wool to be processed does this ....
http://www.bentprop.org/SockBrigade.html

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
www.google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  07:22:13 AM  Show Profile
What an incredible legacy! I have no stories.... I know my grandmother's first husband died in World War II shortly after they were married. For some reason, my family doesn't think holding on to family history is important. I cannot seem to get any information from them at all! With that said, thank you to all our veterans, and to the families and loved ones that support(ed) them!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  08:51:12 AM  Show Profile
That is really cool!! :) My entire family is military in some form or fashion.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  09:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Thank-you Teri, for that link where people can still send socks to our troops. I loved the testimonials given!!

My Dad was too young for WWI and too old for WWII but my brother and husband are both Vietnam Veterans. And yes, Shannon, we must always remember to thank all of the families of our servicemen because they do a heavy lift back here at home!!I love how our First Lady, Michelle Obama, has made honoring and helping military families one of her priorities. We all owe our Veterans great gratitude for the sacrifices they had to make and continue to make every day so that we have the privilege to sit here safe and enjoy each other's friendships. Many Vets paid a very dear price for our freedoms.

When I get the vest completed and a pair of sox knitted, I will post a photo. But don't go holding your breath or looking anytime soon!! LOL!! I have a feeling this might take me awhile!

Thanks to everyone for stopping by and I hope more Farmgirls will read this and leave comments. I am hoping we have more stories out there for all of us to enjoy this important national holiday.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile
Dearest Winnie,
Somewhere around here is a Victory olive drab half-knitted wool sweater that someone in my family never finished. I always thought that someday I would. Now I just need to dig around in my attic and find it. You've already provided me with the inspiration to "bookend" it.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  09:42:13 AM  Show Profile
Can't wait to see the finished vest and socks! Thank you for sharing your family history!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  10:22:17 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane~ I hope you can find that unfinished Vest just begging to be completed again! That would be so cool. Does anyone in your family know who was knitting it? I love the stories attached to these bits and pieces of family history. I challenge you to join me in Knit for Victory!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  10:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to a current organization which sends handmade socks, hats and slippers to our troops currently serving in Afghanistan.

http://www.theshipsproject.com/Home.htm

They also send handmade Christmas ornaments in the winter and cool ties in the summer. They have contact personnel on ships and in the field who they send the boxes to and they distribute the bounty. They also gather square blocks which are sewn into afghans. This site has very strict guidelines for the things they send. It is run by a lady in Florida with help from her grandson and husband -- a real home grown project. If you can't knit or crochet, they always need money for postage.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  5:31:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Marie for the website. I am also inspired to knit and want to try the hospital socks. I have a bunch of wool and I think I can put it to good use. Thanks

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  04:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rita, welcome to the Knit for Victory challenge!! Let us know if you get a package put together of hospital socks.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  1:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Winnie what an awesome story! I am just so amazed that you did all the research and tracked down the yarn and patterns! That is just so cool.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Let our lives be full of both Thanks and Giving ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  06:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Winnie for this amazing story. Within the last year and half I have purchased an old cast iron sock machine which I learned to clean up and service myself. If I am not mistaken, these sock machines where also used during WWI and WWII to make socks for our service men serving in Europe to help provide socks to help protect their feet. I want to do some more research on something I read or heard that these machines were provided to women by the Red Cross to help make these pairs of socks. Even though I do knit my own socks by hand, I can't wait to learn how to make my socks on this machine and keep a part of history going for future generations.

Waiting to see how your vest turns out.

NancyOH1
Farmgirl #2508
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  05:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Nancy, I have never heard of the sock machine but I bet it is very cool! Can you post a photo? You have to let us know if you figure out how to use it. My vest is coming along nicely. I am finally in the home stretch with the most difficult part all done. It looks so pretty and it will be very warm. When it is done, I will post a photo. Thank-you for sharing your post about the sock machine!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

judy12480
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Judy
Rapid City Michigan
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  10:29:44 AM  Show Profile
I am good at knitting socks. Please let me know where I can get a pattern and yarn. Judy farm girl number 556 Merry Christmas.

Northwestern Michigan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  05:11:04 AM  Show Profile
Judy~ Marie posted this site above with information so check it out for how to make and get socks to our current military personnel.

http://www.theshipsproject.com/Home.htm

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  10:47:26 AM  Show Profile
They also have patterns for socks and hats. Just make certain that 100% wool is used. Acrylic will melt if it encounters fire.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  07:13:09 AM  Show Profile
I am excited to report that I have completed my Knit for Victory Vest! It actually fits too which I find totally amazing and delightful. Here is the finished product with a view of the socks that I am still working on.

This was such a fun project and a real challenge for me in terms of knitting a bigger item that required a lot of hours and different work. I can only imagine how happy the soldiers were to receive these warm and cozy vests in WWI and WWII. The wool is thick and soft and a perfect winter helper. We just had some cold weather arrive so I am planning on wearing this the next few days. I am also inspired to go get some pretty yarn and knit myself the same pattern in some fun colors. I have to be honest that the Army drab olive got pretty boring to look at! Lol!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  07:42:36 AM  Show Profile
Awesome Winnie! It's gorgeous. Congrats.

I have to say that I do in fact like the olive drab color and have ever since I lived with my parents ... some 45 years ago! We had a big army surplus store near our home that my father loved to take me to called Smith & Edwards. It was more nuts and bolts and equipment oriented but all of it was army green and occasionally I ended up with some winter wear. I still have the sub-zero army boots he bought me from there, although they're black.

When I was in NYC recently and doing some shopping, I made note that I was still drawn to that color whenever I saw it on a rack. Even my watch band is that color. Although I don't use or like it too much as a paint for home décor, I do love it for clothing, scarves, boots, etc. I just love it.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile
Great Job Winnie - I am so proud of you!

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  09:41:15 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,

I know a woman who has purchased and repaired cast iron sock machines for years. She also has 3 looms (or more) and was willing to teach me how to spin wool and other products such as llama, alpacha, etc. She is a very neat lady. She lives about 11 miles from me. I live in Midland, Michigan. I'm not sure if she has facebook or any of that but I'm pretty sure she would be fun to talk to if you are on a new path with the sock machine.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  07:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, your vest turned out just beautiful!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  09:24:18 AM  Show Profile
Ya know, I think there is still a Smith's and Edward's on the outskirts of Salt Lake City. My sister loves it!

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  2:27:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your kind words! I enjoyed reading about the history of the project as well as doing it this Fall. I love to have a project that has a good story with it. It keeps me motivated to complete everything and stay focused.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile
I had to share this today with everyone. Last night at my weekly knitting group, one of the women brought two CDs that her mother-in-law gave her for Christmas. Lo and behold they were knitting songs from World War I and World War II!! There were titles like "Knit one, Purl one", "Sweeter in a Sweater", and many other fun titles. Each CD was sung by Melanie Gall with accompaniment. It was hilarious!! Has anyone else heard these old knitting songs?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting for Victory-VEST completed!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page