Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Curiosities from our Farm - #5 and OLD pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Curiosities from our Farm - #5 and OLD pics Next Topic
Page: of 2

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2014 :  12:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I grew up on a farm right here in southwest Colorado. My hubby and I were deeded a little over three acres by my dad back in the 70s on which we built our house.

My dad was an inventor/creator of so many things he needed on the farm. He didn't have money to buy everything but he sure had ideas and all the know how necessary and tools so he just made what he needed. We raised a variety of crops and animals so it was never just a one shot deal. That was smart because my dad never knew for sure when some crop would fail/freeze or how the cow/sheep production would be and how the markets for anything would be.

The first two photos I'm going to post for you are of chicken nests he built. When I was a teenager in the 60s my parents had about 150+ laying hens which meant they needed nests. I don't know how he came upon enough 55 gallon drums to build nests but he had many. So with a cutting torch and a welder he manufactured these nests, using the drums and rod links from a type of conveyer he used for potatoes and apples. He cut the barrel ends out part-way, bent them for openings/perches. Cut a door in the side, put on a hinge and used the ends of the conveyer rods to make handles and a prop for the door. As you can see the legs were made from the rods as well. These had to be at least 50 years old!!
In the pics the barrel nests are upside down. We just hauled the last remaining two we had to the salvage yard and they are on the trailer ready to go. I'm sure anyone following us would have found them curious indeed.

Check back later for the next "curiosity" photo!
Thanks for letting me share!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 16 2014 2:28:36 PM

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  04:23:21 AM  Show Profile
Your dad did what he had to do! Alot of people have done that. Great and interesting the things he made. Kind of sad to take them to the scrap yard I bet.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  04:50:08 AM  Show Profile
A good farmer always diversifies in case of crop failure or market upheaval, AND has a make do/will do attitude. I would say you inherited his knack for both!

P.S. Who doesn't love a 55-gallon drum?! I have several; they make great wood stoves.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2014 :  4:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
It was kinda sad to haul them away . . .but we have sooooooo much stuff in our yard. We HAVE to do something all the stuff that isn't really useable for our purposes. Our local salvage yard does a GREAT job with a tremendous amount of metal that gets hauled in!

Yup, Mary Jane. My dad was a very smart farmer . . . and one that worked SOOOOO HARD! My mom was an equally hard working farm wife as well . . my goodness! What a heritage!

Thanks girls!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  07:25:15 AM  Show Profile
A wonderful tribute to your Dad and Mom for acknowledging their 'can-do' spirit. My Bob is the same way today. He inherited it from his Dad. Bob needs something and although he probable could buy some things if he could make it he would. He has made me so many lovely things too. so he can work with wood besides making tools and farm equipment. I am thankful and he says just make another apple pie. LOL! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  3:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We raised potatoes and apples on the farm, all for markets and truckers. That meant everything had to be graded, washed, sized, sorted and bagged (or apples by the bushel in boxes). My dad built this "curiosity" for bagging either potatoes or apples. It can be spun around and the hooks were for hanging the bags on for filling before weighing. The circular rods around the bottom helped support the bags. I brought this home to my house where it "lived" in the sagebrush for several years. Then about two years ago I cleaned it up and painted it up. Hung the cans on it so that when you spun it around it jingled. I now call it my "Garden-Go-Round". I can't tell you how many folks ask "what in the world is that?"
Don't plan to haul it off, though! It's still fun!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 09 2014 4:00:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  4:29:29 PM  Show Profile
It's great. I see it as a hanging, spinning garden... unless all that dirt would keep it from moving.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, your grandfather was so creative with making solutions for his farming needs! It is special that you still have them to enjoy!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2014 :  7:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Winnie,
These actually were my dad's creations!

Sara,
It does spin around pretty well . . . it's not sitting on the dirt, however I do need to reach in and tear out the grass and weeds. Or I should say, only the center stand piece is sitting on the dirt, the rest moves around it freely.
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 10 2014 07:29:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  05:16:41 AM  Show Profile
Very cool. When my dad died I took over the ranch. Just this past summe my sister, who owns the barn, decided to have a barn cleaning day. What she wanted was a hauling off day. So with the help of my two sisters and one husband and son in law we gathered for the weekend and it began. So very sad for me. I used all those homemade tools and items through out my years but to them they were pieces of junk ... something to add to the pile for recycle and cash. Two large trailer loads were removed...and I just cried. One sister thought she would get a thousand or more dollars and the other sister just wanted to pitch everything, without knowing what it was or what it did. My barn is empty. Its all neat and organized like they wanted but .... its empty. To me, it has lost my memories. Did we clean it up? Yes. Did she make any money? Less than 800.00. But its done and I have to live with it and with out it. I have gone in several times to get some item to use out on the ranch and can't find it....which means it was put on the trailer and scrapped.

I love you spinning sorting wheel. It looks like it would have been a great asset in your dad operation. Lots of things came in 55 gal drums long ago. Heating oils and food stuffs, etc.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  06:05:38 AM  Show Profile

Daizy, that explains why my husband, an inventor and 3rd generation farmer keeps everything. Or tries to. Even he gets in the mood for room instead every now and then. But seeing any of it go is next to impossible, especially when it's your parents inventions/gear/scrap iron.

CJ, that merry-go-round is priceless!!!! That is just the best lawn art a farmgirl could ever have. Love it! No sending THAT to the scrap heap.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  09:37:34 AM  Show Profile
What is it about men... even my hubby takes after his dad,,, who could never throw away a bolt or washer or bit of baleing wire!
Oh Wait! ...
that is sort of like us gals,,,
we can't throw away any piece of scrap fabric, rhinestone or yarn because you just never know when you will need it! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  09:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Yup, Gracie . . . we sorta have the same affliction, just with different stuff. However, I can tell you that I do NOT let stuff pile up forever!

That "Garden-Go-Round" is up by our garden and while the cans were still shiny they actually helped keep the deer out of the garden. Don't think that they are deterred by the rusty look, however.

I have a couple more "curiosities" I'll share with you this week!
CJ

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 10 2014 09:54:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2014 :  11:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh Dang! so that is what I have been doing wrong! not using shiny 50-gal drums to deter the 'Rats w/Antlers'... snork giggle!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2014 :  12:41:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Dad raised alfalfa hay for feed for the livestock, but not to sell. He knew that he needed, if at all possible, for the haying process to be a one-man job. His barns always had a huge center section where he placed his chopped hay and then was able to throw it into the troughs on either side to feed.

I don't remember how he obtained a trailer from an 18-wheeler rig, but he did. He cut it in half, took off the top, cut the upper corners on sides, reinforced with angle iron across the front and rigged each half with a hydraulic push "wall" that he could use to push the load of chopped hay into the center section of the barn.

He cut the hay, let it dry, then chopped, blowing it into these trailers, then to the barn, backed them in, unloaded them and went after another load. He pulled the chopper and trailer with one of his big Allis Chalmers tractors. One-man operation!

Not sure what is over this one . . hmmmm!

The car was the only one I know of that they purchased brand new . . 1965 Rambler, pale yellow, stick shift! But you can see one of these trailers behind the car.

He used one of these to do the chopping. In this pic they are all lined up in the farm auction (the summer after my dad passed away). We called it "Jer-Rusty Park"

All of these items/equipment were sold at the auction that summer.

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 11 2014 4:18:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2014 :  04:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Amazing stuff your Grandfather had! No doubt, someone else is making use of these times today and the legacy lives on!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2014 :  08:17:16 AM  Show Profile
CJ this is great stuff!
And you know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention.
I think it is great that your dad had the get up and go to get 'er done!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Before the market really went "south" for potatoes we raised acres and acres of them. Three varieties I think. Well, Dad needed a speedier process for harvesting/picking taters than a person walking along the row with a basket or gunny sack in hand.

So, he built these potato wagons to hook to the digger which was all being pulled by the tractor. These wagons had the link conveyors in the bottom (links are metal, like used for legs on the chicken nests). While in the field the spuds came up onto the conveyor of the digger and about three individuals positioned around the digger conveyor helped clean excessive dirt/mud off, remove rocks, etc. and then they went into the wagon. The wagons were backed up to the sorter/washer machine onto another conveyor and they were moved onto that where they were cleaned and sorted and bagged into big gunny sacks. I can remember when potatoes were harvested with the basket or sacks as you walked along. I was too small to do that because I couldn't handle the weight. So, with this more mechanized process the harvest became much faster and less laborious. As you can see these were quite run down, having sat on the farm for a long time, collecting all manner of other things.

Sometime while I was in high school the market changed and dad stopped planting potatoes and focused more on his fruit orchards, which were another BIG operation!

And, here is a great picture of my dad, the farmer, taken sometime in the early 90s. He passed away in January 1997 at the age of 83. My mother had passed away in February of 1994, just before her 80th birthday. (His mouth is puckered up because he was talking with my father-in-law)

Edited by - ceejay48 on Nov 14 2014 4:10:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, your picture of your father bought this thought to mind. Whether it's Colorado, Texas, or any other of the 50 states all farmers have the same quiet confidence and eloquence about them.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile
CJ I've really enjoyed the little windows into your farm history! Thanks for sharing with us :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Let our lives be full of both Thanks and Giving ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you girls! It's been fun sharing and reminiscing. I have one more shot I'll share in a day or two and then that'll be it.
Thank you for letting me share and for coming along with me on memory lane!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  2:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Just one more?!?! Please send out a few more. I am going to find photos of the past here at the Poor House Ranch to share. I also have a few from my Grandfathers ranch, Choccolocca Brangus. I have really enjoyed your past that you have shared.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3440 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3440 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  3:21:12 PM  Show Profile
CJ
I too am loving all your family history. What a great dad, so smart to make all the things needed to help the family survive. Thank you for sharing.

Farmgirl #5111
Farmgirl of the month October 2014
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  3:44:10 PM  Show Profile
What a tinkerer he was. Love these glimpses into your past!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  03:50:53 AM  Show Profile
CJ,

Thanks so much for sharing your heritage with us. I have really enjoyed learning more about your family and farm. Your Dad was so creative! You must have inherited that from him :) I love seeing the photo of him and Sara is right, there is a certain eloquence and quiet confidence with farmers and ranchers.

Grace,

The only difference between us gals and the boys is what we hang onto and ours you generally cannot see when you pull into the yard :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  04:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Cj, what fun to see these pics and hear about your heritage. Absolutely loved it all!
Thank you so much for sharing with us

Hugs,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Curiosities from our Farm - #5 and OLD pics Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page