YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6917 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6917 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  05:44:17 AM  Show Profile
This morning I renewed my energy plan for another two years. How I miss the old days when we had one power company which did everything and one number to call for any problem.

Now there are choices to make on plan to choose. Got to consider the bottom line first - how much you have to pay for the service. Second and as important as the first is the plan connected to Oncor Electric Delivery that maintains the wires.

I hadn't given a second thought to who maintains the wires until this year's ice storm. One of sister's neighbors had a lower cost energy plan, but it was not connected to Oncor, so when a tree fell and took out the electrical wire to their house they had to may to have Oncor do the repairs.

It snowed a little during the night - just enough to say it's white outside but it is early for this part of TX. It's 21 degrees at 7:40a.m. so I'm in for a cold day. So it's a good day to renew my energy plan. I'm thankful for a warm house and a plan that will take care of any need I have.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile
I have been watching these 'power wars' for some time. In our area of Texas, we still have one provider and I have no complaints about our service. As these changes come about, I hope we can stay with them. I've watched friends try to get the cheapest and in the end they're charged more or don't get certain services.

I'm glad you're renewed and warm!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  07:50:26 AM  Show Profile
they tried to bring in 2 or 3 differant power companies in my area (I have wind and solar at my place for the most part, my wells are on Edison because they are 3 phase electrical) it did not last 2 years, the same with the phone companies, it was a real mess for anyone that did switch over as you both said...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  10:19:08 AM  Show Profile
I actually called our power company a few months back because I didn't understand how these other companies could offer such good rates. They explained that these other companies usually issue these rates just prior to heavy usage months, so people get all excited and lock themselves in to the so-called "better" rate for a year. But what happens is you end up paying more in lighter usage months. Power companies usually adjust the rates during the year, accounting for higher and lower usage months, so you actually end up saving more with them (and their "adjusted" rates) in the long run. They suggested I go back over the prior year's bills and check out what my usage and spending was, and then compare to the rates they were charging to those of these "special deals." I'll be darned - they were RIGHT!!! I would've spent much more locking myself into one of those "deals." So now I'm checking my bills regularly and calculating the cost. So far, I have not seen any benefit whatsoever to switching and locking into a lower rate. I'm not sure that will be the same for all areas of the country, but for us, this really turned out to be true! Hope this helps! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 05 2014 10:19:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  10:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and just in case you aren't aware - our power company gives us a link where we can compare ALL the local providers' rates so we can choose which company best suits our budget. Yours might, too. At that link, you can actually click on any of the competitor's sites and see the most current rates and deals available. I was amazed at the number of power companies and options afforded us. Most of them differed in cost by only a cent or two, or a fraction thereof. Still, when calculating the annual cost with our "regular" power supplier vs. the available rates with the others, we were much better off staying where we are and not changing providers. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  11:18:33 AM  Show Profile
also when you use those other componies, power or phone, if anything equipment breaks, (i.e., phone lines, power lines)the other companies are renting/leasing the lines, so you are on the bottom of the repair lists if the problems are on your property...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Interesting point, Tina! Would the power provider be responsible for the repairs, though, or would it be the central power company who cares for that? Where we live, there is a central power company, and then you have your selection of power providers to choose from. You are then billed for that provider's power service through the central power company, if that makes sense. (Sorry - I am in desperate need of coffee! LOL!) So the small monthly fee we pay here for repair coverage is always paid to the central power company on our bill. Therefore here it is the central power company's responsibility to provide repair service. You might want to look into that girls. Who is responsible for the repairs on your lines and at the road? If it's not your power provider but a central power company, they still shouldn't favor their own power customers over others, but I don't know how that works. Interesting... very interesting. If you find out more information on this, please let us know!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Energy Plans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page