Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!Christmas 2014
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!Christmas 2014 Next Topic
Page: of 2

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile

I know it's only the middle of Fall...but I think it's time for us to start sharing our thoughts about Christmas and Winter Holidays! Always so much fun to share what we are doing for the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year"!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  08:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Christmas is most assuredly quickly approaching. We will spend all of December focusing our school on Christmas. I'm not sure how we are going to do it this year - last year was focusing on how different countries celebrate it! We will start decorating the day after Thanksgiving - that is how we "celebrate" Black Friday :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  12:25:36 PM  Show Profile

Shannon...Thanks for sharing...please let us know more about your plans as time goes on:):):)

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  2:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Judy, this will be a fun place to visit. Must confess the cutest 2' stand up stuffed moose followed me home the other week from Dollar General.

I know just where he will go. Next to the Santa Clause chair cover on a small chair. I put red running pants on the front legs of the chair & up on the seat. Put each front leg of the chair into child's cowboy boots to finish the look. Santa holds my two cloth dolls, Pearl & DustaRose. Santa sits in my sitting - I don't put up a tree so Santa & now Moosie the moose will be the holiday focal point in that room.

I have a habit of naming all dolls, scarecrows, and stuff animals.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6617 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6617 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  06:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Judy, the big holiday season will be here faster than the blink of an eye! Last year we did a lot of sharing here on the forum and it was just lovely and inspiring. I am looking forward to doing the same this year, but FIRST, I am not going to miss one day of Fall! We are finally getting cooler and drier weather. At last there is the feeling of fall down here and I am not ready to even think about anything else. Plus, I happen to just love November and the Thanksgiving Holiday. There is something so comforting about how the days get shorter and colder, the oak trees turn deep red and burnt orange, and the time is perfect for long cooking soups and stews. Thanksgiving is a true American holiday since the Pilgrims were against celebrations like Christmas. I like to think about ways to make the special day of feasting more colonial in nature with recipes that would have been possible back in 1620s. The weekend after Thanksgiving, I like to just enjoy leftovers and be outside in the cooler weather. I love the enjoying the last vestiges of Fall before the Christmas rush gets in full gear!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  06:26:25 AM  Show Profile

Sarah...your plans sound so sweet...I too sometimes name my little sweeties:):):)Winnie...I am still enjoying as much of Fall as I can...Hard to believe I started the post about Fall all the way back in July...so many wonderful posts and pictures have been shared...here in Kentucky it has been a beautiful Fall season...the leaves and temperatures have been perfect...next week is supposed to be a farm girls dream...sunny with temps in the mid 70's...ooh la la!!!Fall is definitely my favorite time of year for family get togethers...seems as if everything is at a slower pace for Autumn Holidays...I love Thanksgiving:):):)and decorating for the season in all the beautiful colors...but after Thanksgiving time just flies into Christmas...I must say I have already been into my Christmas decorations to see what all I have...just so much fun looking ahead!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  06:36:46 AM  Show Profile
Winnie - colonial type dishes for Thanksgiving sounds fabulous. Care to share? I am hoping we get to the First Thanksgiving in our history prior to Thanksgiving, though I kinda doubt it is going to happen. We just studied the Jamestown Settlement last week... I so cannot imagine being so hungry that I would turn to cannibalism, though I really do not know how I would have handled not having food for my family! It amazes me what I learn as I teach my children! We are using "The Mystery of History Volume 3 this year - the 2nd half - which is so neat in that it is world history and combines the Biblical history with the secular history in the first few volumes. I enjoy seeing things in chronological order rather than just geographical!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6986 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6986 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  08:30:55 AM  Show Profile
Earlier this year I bought a cookbook 'The Virginia Housewife' by Mrs. Mary Randolph - first published in 1860. It was the first cookbook published in Virginia; up to then all recipes were handed down or passed around woman to woman.

I do enjoy thumbing through the book and learning how they cooked in the 1800s. Wouldn't think cooking changed much from the first Thanksgiving. A few measurements are given but for the most part it's just ingredients and how far to place the pot or pan from the open fire in the fireplace.

Measurements are often a wine glass of this, a handful of that, or as big as an egg.

It does give different vinegar recipes and all kinds of sauces.

I ordered it from Amazon.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  3:29:23 PM  Show Profile

Sara...sounds so interesting...I love learning how things were done in days of old!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6617 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6617 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  5:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I have the same cookbook by Mary Randolph and it is fascinating to read. I can't imagine cooking over a wood fire and having things turn out perfectly. It would be fun to learn and try!!

Shannon, I have not found any exact replicas of the original Thanksgiving dinner but Indians did grow and eat pumpkins and ground corn into meal and make a sort of flat bread over the fire. I am not sure about the pumpkin but my guess is that it was roasted and then the meat was eaten cooked. I actually like roasted pumpkin because it tastes very much like a mix between sweet potato and butternut squash. You could try cutting a pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and roast in the oven till soft and then eat it with some butter and a pinch of salt. This summer, when I was in Glacier Park, we had a Black Foot Indian guide and he talked about how cranberries were used with venison or buffalo to make a sort of dried meat mixture for the winter. MaryJane offers a delicious vegetarian version of this in her Ideasbook on page 297. It was called Pemmican. Hers has lots of dried fruits and nuts and is absolutely delicious and healthy. Her recipe does not have cranberries but you could substitute cranberries for one of the other dried fruits used. The meats would be easy to replicate with roasted venison or wild turkey if you have a source of those available. I think you could find a corn tortilla recipe for replicating a corn flatbread. Plymouth would have had access to clams, oysters and other fish as well which would have been roasted over the open fire. Most of the versions of pumpkin, corn, and turkey dishes we have all come to love and enjoy on Thanksgiving are not anything like what was actually eaten. I try and find recipes that are devoid of sugar and seasonings because most of those products were not available to the colonists and unheard of by the Indians. The history of Jamestown is truly a story of struggle and hard times. If you ever get a chance to take the children, it is a wonderful historical site to visit.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2014 :  9:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Judy,

While I completely understand the need for hanging on to as much fall as possible (especially those in the states that don't have such defined seasons), I am with you on feeling Christmas! Christmas is something that I feel at random moments throughout the whole year! The Nutcracker Suite, making ornaments year round, planning presents to give, baking cookies, the smell of it, it truly is the most wonderful time of the year!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  07:23:52 AM  Show Profile

Erin...Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the most magical holiday of the year:):):)The topic came to life because the song kept going through my head!!!I absolutely love the picture!!!It is beautiful...please please share more:):):)

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2014 :  10:19:15 AM  Show Profile
Erin that picture belongs on a Christmas card! So pretty!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2014 :  11:13:43 AM  Show Profile

Stephanie...I agree!!!The picture is beautiful!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2014 :  6:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Love the picture Erin. Judy, just love the thought of Christmas. I did spruce up the house back in September for Fall hoping to get Fall here in TX. We finally have cool nights and wonderful days. I have decided to use small Christmas trees throughout the house. Instead of one large one. I have been sewing Christmas gifts and have 90% of my shopping done. Christmas will be here very soon.

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2014 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile

Laurie...I love the idea of small Christmas trees:):):)Temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 20's at night time here in Kentucky by this weekend. Hard to believe that it's less than 2 months until Christmas Day...I am already shopping too...seems as there is never enough time though no matter how early we start...Christmas is such a blessed and joyful season!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  2:45:13 PM  Show Profile
It is Cold here! Finally! High of only 60 Tomorrow and maybe the first freeze tomorrow night! it is hard to believe Christmas is only 2 months away!!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  7:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Ms. Connie...We are supposed to have our first snow this weekend...so excited:):):)and the wind chill temperature is supposed to be an unbelievable 19 degrees!!! The mountains of West Virginia are under a Winter Storm Warning!!! I love love love the picture!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440

Edited by - wildflower17 on Oct 30 2014 7:15:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  3:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Our first snow was beautiful today!!!Sure puts one in the Christmas Spirit!!!

Hugs!

~Judy~

Farm Girl #5440

Edited by - wildflower17 on Nov 01 2014 3:52:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2014 :  5:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Judy! Wow!!! Snow!!!!! I so love reading all the comments!
Winnie, I am starving after reading yours! So Interesting!! LOL!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month, August 2014

Edited by - Killarney on Nov 01 2014 5:43:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2014 :  10:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Tonight I am going home to cook and freeze some pie pumpkins and butternut squash, while they are baking, I'm going to start shaping my twig tree that goes in the kitchen. It seems to take the longest to shape and get looking nice. But, everyone comments on how cute it is in the corner of my kitchen.

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  05:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Making cookies is one of my favorite parts of Christmas time. I have a cookie exchange with some friends of mine every year on the first Saturday in December.

I'm going to print out this picture and make it into a little ornament with glitter!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Let our lives be full of both Thanks and Giving ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  1:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Erin, that is an adorable pic! Would be fun to be part of your cookie exchange . . have fun!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  09:12:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh, girls... It's starting to snow outside... I'm hearing Bing Crosby singing, "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas..." I know Thanksgiving is next week, but today, I'm longing to put up some lights, greenery and bows! :) Just a little while longer... Just a liiiiiittle while longer... Such a dark, blustery day out there... I think I may just keep the kitchen Christmas-cozy and bake instead. :)

Erin, I really do love that picture, too! :) A cookie exchange sounds heavenly right about now!

'Hope you're all safe and warm today! Looks like most of us are in for quite a snowy, icy-cold ride!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 17 2014 09:13:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  09:28:53 AM  Show Profile
If you look out our window right now, you would expect to see snow falling and the wind cutting through you. The dark clouds are looming overhead; the trees swaying back and forth. And yet, my windows are open! We are suppose to be in the mid-70s today! And only in the 40s tomorrow! CRAZY weather we are experiencing!

Nini - I too am ready to hang my lights, put up my tree and decorate with gusto! I look forward to warm cups of hot chocolate as my children and I sit together each day reading a Christmas book, followed by a craft and often times a snack or meal that fits in as well! I must admit, I have already started playing Christmas music... though it is rather amusing, that my children follow up the CDs with Easter songs :) Love my kiddos!!! They truly are blessings!

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5159 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5159 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2014 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Erin, I adore that picture!!! I am going to try and copy this for my front porch!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month, August 2014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic The Most Wonderful Time of The Year!Christmas 2014 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page