Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 What are your thougths on Ebola?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What are your thougths on Ebola? Next Topic  

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  09:44:02 AM  Show Profile
I don't know if any of you are concerned with what is happening in the world and the health crisis that is out of control. I am praying that it can be contained fast and less will die from these terrible germs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyY_j7MQNA&list=UU-LwBkaduuYGgm5u9c2u6GA
I found several videos from medical professionals that say not to worry that it will be stopped as in years past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXGN6-Lzm7g&list=UU-LwBkaduuYGgm5u9c2u6GA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8-OXVwar0c&list=UU-LwBkaduuYGgm5u9c2u6GA
I follow the CDC on Facebook and they did a live Q&A this week and I asked them several questions about what they are doing to stop the spread of Ebola.

https://www.facebook.com/CDC

Let's all pray that they will follow a Quarantine guideline and set up these hand washing stations here if it starts to mushroom out of control as it is in Africa.

I have been reading scriptures that give comfort that God is not to blame like James 1:13 and Jerimiah 29:11.

I thought this was such a loving thing for this organization to do to help the government get this under control.

http://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/world/jehovahs-witnesses-respond-2014-ebola-outbreak/

We all can do our part to help our neighbors and ourselves in times like these. I hope this brings you some comfort!

Love to you all!

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Bible Research
www.jw.org

Edited by - marjean on Oct 18 2014 10:09:23 AM

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  10:51:59 AM  Show Profile
I think they should have shut down flights from africa. england and france have.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  3:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Shutting down civilian flights would only help so much..... we still have military going over there!

As for my thoughts on Ebola.... it is a virus that your immune system has to fight. Do I think it is dangerous. Oh yes! And with my hubby being military, we know our risk is even greater. But we also believe very strongly in the perfect will of God, and that IF we get and IF it kills us, He is in control <3 I think there is a matter of being prepared, but no point in stressing.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  6:42:49 PM  Show Profile
I believe they can quarentine the military much easier than finding all the people on different planes and who those come in contact with and so on and so on. But I am not worrying about it either cause I do believe in God and he does know what he is doing!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  7:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Beverly... I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I understand what you are saying, however, on a military plane with supplies, you have the crew, someone for plane maintenance and someone in charge of loading and unloading, at a minimum. You have the people they are in contact with at each stop they make, as they can only fly for so long, need to stop to get gas, etc. Also, the CDC has now said that it can and does live on surfaces, so it is/could be on various surfaces of the plane, so all ground maintenance could now be contaminated as well.

I guess the question comes down to, if we stop letting flights go in and out of Africa, will that and should it include military planes!?!?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  11:45:55 PM  Show Profile
If we were to stop flights from Africa, people will find another way to get into the country which isn't monitored. Those people will not have any official screening or collection of contact information. If they are ill, we wouldn't know and the virus could spread that way. This illness is blood borne and is transmitted through contact with an infected person's bodily fluids. Yes, it will live for some time on a surface but really, what is the likelihood of anyone not in direct contact with an infected person getting the illness. I know that for me, it is very small. I choose not to panic.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  05:56:59 AM  Show Profile
good info.. They should be checking passports of anyone coming from other countries and making sure they did not come from africa to begin their trip. and these nurses should have know better than to get on a flight or on the cruise ship.

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  08:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Okay... Question: Didn't they just say at one point last week that they suspect the ebola virus might also be airborne?

We have to remember that this disease changes frequently at the cellular level... This is not going to be easy.

Checking passports and taking temperatures are ineffective. Passports can be altered or faked; temperatures don't give an adequate account of what is going on with a person's health. They even reported that on the Nightly News a couple of weeks ago...

My husband feels the best thing to do is to close the borders in other countries - in other words, keep it contained where it is and deal with treating the people in those countries. But my thought is, it's already out and floating around everywhere. Yes, closing those foreign borders would be helpful in stopping ebola's spread further, but it has still been unleashed into many parts of the world at this point. Containing in those borders would be extremely helpful, but it's truly too late to stop its spread.

Wouldn't it be prudent just to quarantine all people coming in from other countries for a mandatory 30 days - let it go a little longer than the three weeks just to be sure? Inconvenient? Yes! Wise? Yes! Yes! We don't know for sure where people have been or to whom they have been exposed, and there is really no way of ever truly knowing. I realize that the government would probably never confine people for 30 days - the cost would be exorbitant and it wouldn't be good for international relations on many levels, I'm sure. But I remember we had a friend from New Zealand years ago who told us that before passengers even get off the plane at the airport they are all sprayed with some sort of mist to kill all viruses, bacteria and germs, because the country doesn't want any illness brought in. I don't think that would work with ebola, of course; but it's still a good precaution, albeit probably not fun and questionable to personal health. That being said, if I, personally, wanted to get into the U.S. that badly - regardless of whether I am already an American citizen OR a foreign national - I would be willing to comply with WHATEVER they wanted me to do. I wouldn't want to infect anyone else, and I sure wouldn't want to have any possible illness within myself ignored! If that meant a 30 day quarantine, so be it! So be it! I keep thinking how preppers have been saying for years that the government has been setting up confinement camps all over the country; I had never even heard of such a thing until about two years ago. When the person told me, I thought he was nuts. Then I looked it up and still couldn't process what I was reading and seeing. However, thinking about it now, in light of what is happening with the spread of ebola, if they have done so, they sure must be ready for a challenge such as this! I say that with tongue-in-cheek, of course, but, hey, we never thought that we'd be having conversations about things like ebola infiltrating our country, did we?

In all seriousness, though, Marie is right. People who want to come in to this country, will come in one way or another. And aren't we forgetting about all the people crossing the border up north and down south? Don't they have international flights coming into their major cities as well? If so, couldn't they be bringing in illness with them? I don't know how else to say this, and don't mean to be rude or cruel at all, but let's face it: people still flock into the country by boat seeking asylum; and down south, especially, it's not as if they're all going through checkpoints where any kind of screening can take place, if you know what I mean... I don't know how in the world THAT will ever be monitored. I think there is a LOT more here to consider than meets the immediate eye, and I highly doubt the government will ever truly be able to get a full hold on all the possibilities.

We're in for the long haul, girls. Our government has a HUGE, seemingly insurmountable job ahead of them preparing for this. I don't understand why it was taken so seemingly lightly at first, but it's a moot point now. Our toes are stuck in the quicksand. We have to get this under wraps before it sucks us in up to our knees or worse. But if anyone thinks that there are simple answers, there just aren't. It's going to take time and serious effort, and probably, ultimately, an act of God.

I'm sitting here this morning, listening to all the finger-pointing on the morning news/talk shows and becoming more and more irritated. All I want to do is scream because of the politics! Does that never end? Ever?! For Pete's sake! Right now, I think the best we can do as individuals is pray and trust God, educate ourselves, take all the precautions possible, speak to people about personal responsibility with this, love the people in our lives, and hold the government to doing its job. That's really the best we can do. We're all only human, which means we're limited in our abilities. Like Shannon said, though, no matter what, GOD, Who is NOT limited, IS ultimately in control. My best advice is to seek Him first, because He really does have all the answers and the power. And I'm with you, Shannon: His will be done. His will be done.

I'm going to go, as Grandma would advise, "think happy thoughts" and have a nice cup of hot tea before getting on with my day. Anyone want to join me? :) Have a great day, sisters! Love you all dearly!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 19 2014 08:07:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  09:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Did any of you read the links I posted? What did you think of the doctor's information on when Ebola started and the stats on it over the years? He did a 3 part series on Ebola, it is very good and in the long run it will burn itself out as it did the last 2 times there was an outbreak.

@Nini your last paragraph is exactly how I feel. In the end God will undue all the evil that Satan and those he controls have done to the earth and mankind. Yes, we are living in critical times hard to deal with, but not impossible to deal with, if we keep God first in our lives.

The comfort from the scriptures is the only thing that keeps me going. Here is another great one I found that gave me a real since of peace of mind, Psalms 92:7 and Psalms 37:10. And, of course Jesus said that there would be a great tribulation at Matthew 24:21 and that God would cut short the days or no flesh would be saved!

We are going to see things get even worse than they are now, but God will save those who trust in him. I applaud all of you for loving him and trusting in him to fix this mess!

Love to you all!

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  4:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Ebola is not at present airbourne. It has a slim theoretical possibility that it will.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/ebolaairborne.asp

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ruby V
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Ruby
Chilliwack BC
Canada
220 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  11:24:05 PM  Show Profile
I think that banning all un-necessary travel might be a good start. People don't need to go back and forth for 'vacation' etc. right now. Isolation and quarantine are the only way to try to prevent it from spreading. They've done it in the past with Leprosy, TB and polio.

I'm also concerned about that virus going around that kids are getting. Now a guy in his 20's has died of it in BC, Canada. Far more are dying of cholera in the Congo. Sadly, it's probably inevitable that a deadly disease will wipe out a big population.

These are sure scary times we live in!

Ruby ~ Sister #3597
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  06:26:33 AM  Show Profile
No one can speak in absolutes about this virus. It's mutated over 300 times. The incubation period went from 3 days to 21 days. The outbreak in 1989 in Virginia involving research monkeys was airborne. It traveled through the ventilation system and the army came in and killed over 400 monkeys. The strain that these monkeys had was not able to be transmitted to humans, it was a new strain. Undoubtedly it did become airborne though.

The only thing that would have prevented it coming here would have been to shut down the borders. North, south, flights, ports, all of it. Ebola, what it does to you, is akin to, if not worse than bubonic plague. During the black plague quarantine was the only thing that gave you a chance.

Shutting down our borders though, was never going to happen. The borders have not been a priority for a long time, and our country is so dependent on the production of other countries that we wouldn't be able to function if we self-quarantined. The incompetence of those "in charge" of this situation just keeps getting worse. Now our military is being sent to west Africa, sans hazmat suits. Because they won't need them. http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/10/101st-airborne-wont-get-full-protective-hazmat-suits-for-ebola-mission-in-west-africa/
I'm not trying to be a fear monger. I'm trying to be realistic. I love the overall attitude of the farmgirls on this thread. Trust in God. Seek Him first. His will be done. Find comfort in the scriptures. Absolutely! This should ALWAYS be the first action taken in a scary situation like this one, and indeed, everyday. On your knees, in the word. But I don't think that's where it ends. At least not for me. I have a responsibility to my family to try to be prepared. At the minimum bulking up on food water. Considering some preparatory measures that I may not have considered before. I am not a hardcore prepper, but a time like this makes me realize how prudent those measures are. Does anyone else feel the same way? Are you taking any precautions in light of these current events? If so, I would be interested to know in what way.

Now here's a disclaimer... since this is all typed, and hard to understand context, inflection. I love everyone here, and in no way am I trying to minimize your comments, or scare anyone! That's the last thing I want to do. I hope and pray that you all stay safe and healthy through this whole crazy mess.<3

Psalm 50:15 - ...call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  11:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Well last night the guy who is in charge, was trying to ease people and he said that they would not let 77 people on one of the flights from africa, because they had a fever or symptoms of being sick. He went on to say that not one of them had ebola, most of them had malaria.. We he showed me how stupid he is. Cause why would we want people with maleria coming from africa anymore than ebola. HELLO, we have misquitoes here to to spread that. I just thought the whole comment was real stupid. but yes there are a lot of things out there today besides Ebola, so get your flu shot, take vitamin C and pray to the Lord to keep your family Safe!! I have a well so I do not worry about my water getting infected like you would have to if you were in a bigger city. and we grow some of our own food. I think in these times we should all be stocking up certain things cause these times are all a bit scary....so, be prepared as best you can.

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  12:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Beverly and Erin,
I was also thinking that we should be stocking up on things for these kinds of conditions, not just the normal weather hazards like we do here in Florida. I am going to invest in a Tower Garden next January and start growing my own organic vegetable garden. I can't get anything to stay alive in this Florida soil that is edible.
I already have our Emergency bags but have yet to fill them with the proper items. It is just plain smart to have them ready in case of any emergency.
I am hoping and praying that we will never have to use them, but if we do I want to be prepared.
I would like to know where they are getting the figures from the polls they have taken saying 60% of Americans want a restriction on air travel.
I do volunteer work in the community and decided I would just ask in my local area about the news items. Not one person said they cared about Ebola! They were just going about their daily routine with no interest in it! I called 30 homes, so I know that is a small number, but still. I was not asked to fill out a survey, where you?

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  8:18:51 PM  Show Profile
They usually do a phone poll and call so many numbers from each region of the U.S. I have been called before and asked certain things..

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile
I have never been called for a poll. I'm not surprised though.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  08:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I have been called for phone survey's but not to do with Ebola or health issues. Then the next day I get a phone call from a company selling a product related to the questions they asked me on the survey the day before.

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  10:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Mine have always been political.

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2014 :  12:01:27 PM  Show Profile
I have not heard any more reports of cases here in the U.S. but I've not been watching the news daily either. I did see this week that 3 countries are still being effected and still many dying daily.

I keep praying for these families and that the medical profession can get it under control again soon!

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What are your thougths on Ebola? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page