Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 favorite farm themes or settings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic favorite farm themes or settings Next Topic  

smallcoffee
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Susan

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  4:09:02 PM  Show Profile
What are your favorite books with a farm theme or setting? Recently I read The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig, and the Abram's Daughters series by Beverly Lewis. Have My Antonia in my TBR pile. Always interested in more!

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan! I love Janette Oke's Season's of the Heart Series (4 books), and also the Love Comes Softly series by the same author.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Two other really good books are by, NANCY TURNER, "THESE IS MY WORDS" thats the first book, and "SARAH'S QUILT". You just don't want them to end.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  05:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Babara Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer" - she is one of my all-time favorite authors, her love of nature comes through in every sentence.
I've always loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House" series - more homesteading than farming.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  06:39:37 AM  Show Profile
One I picked up a few years ago was in the Ozarks, it was a real life story. No Lace for Cricket (during the depression if I remember correctly), however, it was a sequal to Mountain Mama, which I haven't been able to find yet. But, No Lace for Cricket was very good, about a very hard working mom and daughter and a lot of struggles in life. And they worked on a lot of farms.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  08:13:28 AM  Show Profile
I thought of another one. Christmas in Canaan by Kenny Rogers and Donald Davenport. I picked it up on a sale table last year and I really enjoyed it. It's about racism and 2 boys made to face it. Rural and farm setting...great read this time of year.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile
I might have mentioned this before, but my very favorite books growing up as a teenager were Helga Sandburg's (daughter of poet Carl Sandburg) Blueberry and Gingerbread. It is the story of a rebellious teenager growing up on a farm on the shore of Lake Michigan and raising horses.

They both seem to be out of print now, I searched in used book stores on line until I found a copy of them, they are just as fresh to me now as they were then.

I also like Pat Leimbach's books - she has been called the "rural Erma Bombeck"

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Heather - I found a copy of "Mountain Mama" on www.half.com for $4.95, plus media mail shipping. I've found a lot of out of print books there for very reasonable prices.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  1:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I'm with you on Prodigal Summer! That was a wonderful book.

I also liked John Grisham's A Painted House. What a sweet story!

How about Cold Mountain? Has anyone read O.E. Roldvaag's Giants in the Earth? I read it years ago, and it scared me half to death!
Go to Top of Page

smallcoffee
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Susan

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  3:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, the Helga Sandburg books sound like just my thing. I shut my eyes to the stacks surrounding me and ordered them from Amazon.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic favorite farm themes or settings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page