churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3939 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3939 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  2:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a large tomatillo bush with many, many, many fruits on it. I just do not know when to harvest them. Some lanterns have large fruits in them and some are small. None of the lantern skins have dried yet. So, when should I harvest them?

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  3:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I pick them regardless of size when the husk is full, doesnt have to be dry. Mine did well in silly scrubby areas around the property this year. I like to freeze them whole, after just husking and washing that sticky crap off them in gallon ziplocbags-so handy to toss in soups or sauces!

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3939 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3939 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  5:10:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Jenny. I'll do that.

I am a skinny girl disguised as a fat girl.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2879 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2879 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2014 :  6:34:00 PM  Show Profile
I made a roasted tomatillo salsa that was delish. Then (since I am into this now), I strained some and used the juice to make a roasted fermented hot sauce. It was SOO good!

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2014 :  9:27:03 PM  Show Profile
I grew several plants last year and ended up with TONS of tomatillos-I harvested mine when they were a decent size and the husk was a little on the dryer side-I ended up roasting them in the oven drizzled with a little good olive oil and salt-then freezing them for chili etc. I hear they are good for salsa Verde as well! They certainly were prolific in our "bad" soil way up North. I'd never grown anything quite like them before-They are hardy and you have a very good yield at harvest time.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2014 :  7:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
They ARE awesome aren't they? Yes! They are so good insalsa verde and in chile verde a mudt. We love them.

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Tomatillos Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page