Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Need advice on using diatomaceous earth for fleas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Need advice on using diatomaceous earth for fleas Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  6:50:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying DE to control fleas on my three cats. I know that I have to be careful about breathing it in, or letting kitties breathe it in, while applying it and I've got that covered. But I put some DE in a diner-style salt shaker to apply it, but quickly discovered that it doesn't shift out so easily. It kind of clogs.

Any farmgirls out there with experience on how to apply the DE? What's a good delivery system? Thanks!

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  7:39:16 PM  Show Profile
I give my chickens a bath in it to help with mites. I find it easier in an old Parmesan or spice bottle with bigger holes. But it does work once applied. Good luck.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  7:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that's a good idea. I have just the thing. I'll give it a try. So, you just puff it all over and fluff it in with your fingers, or...?

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 21 2014 7:58:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  8:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Kind of off topic, sort of, but I have been taking DE internally for about a week. Google Food Grade DE, and you will be amazed. Hoping to see some results, as I have high BP.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  8:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I've read about this use for DE, too, and it interests me. I need to be careful of supplements (herbs and.or minerals) because of some medications I take. I'll discuss it with my doctor next time I see him. I'll be interested in your experiences!
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  8:34:02 PM  Show Profile
Yes I just rub in with fingers. It's pretty easy, be careful when letting cat go it might shake excess off and can be messy for you, just don't inhale.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  8:38:28 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for all the questions: So you just put some in your hand and start rubbing it around down in their fur (or feathers, in your case)? How much to use?
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  9:02:23 PM  Show Profile
If you have any carpeting,be sure to rub some into the carpets. Leave in for about twenty minutes, then vacuum. This will kill fleas in the carpet and their eggs.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  04:56:56 AM  Show Profile
Yes I use handful on my chickens to get through all the feathers. For cats you are not going to need as much. I pour DE in a cat litter box and just put in the birds upside down and give them a good dusting. For cats I would sprinkle where you could and rub it in well. Maybe handfuls for the belly and undersides, probably depends on how docile the cat is. Also it's best not to have your pet breathe in the dust so be really careful around the nose and eyes.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3474 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3474 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  05:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Lisa
I am anxious to hear your take on taking DE internally. I just started taking it as well. I am hoping for a much more calm gut.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  05:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Kelly. Yes, I realize it's important to prevent the kitties from breathing in the dust, and ourselves, too. Might be a two-person job.

And Prairiehawk, thanks to you, too. I know that vacuuming is vital, and they say you should put DE in the vacuum's bag or canister, but your method sounds more effective to me. I'll try it. I also have to do the house-wide 2% bleach solution, too, and doubling down on the laundry. Oh boy. Why is it we love our cats again? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  07:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info, I am still battling fleas here. I am going to try the DEon the cats.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2014 :  08:03:14 AM  Show Profile
I put DE on my cats. It disn't help at all and later, my vet said to never do that.
Go to Top of Page

Terralea
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Terra
Midland Michigan
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2014 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile
I've used DE on my cows to ward off flies. You can sprinkle it on their droppings. You can put it in their grain and the flies won't gather at the pop station so to speak. You could do the same with all of your animals as long as you don't pile it on...for the breathing reasons mentioned above. I've used it on my plants to keep tomato worm's, cabbage worms, Japanese beetles etc, at bay. They eat some along with the leaf and since it is kinda like shards of glass to them and has a drying effect also, they dry up and die... You could lay a blanket across your entire garden if you wanted to and keep those crawly buggies on the ground as they would have to come through it to get to the plant. I think I need to see how it works for worms since we want those and lady bugs around. Hummm? Now I've got to check.

We, on the other hand, can injest it without the same ill effects...I buy a 100# bag at a time at the Amish store near us in Clare, Michigan.

Terralea
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2014 :  2:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
So is it ok to uise DE on the dogs?

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Need advice on using diatomaceous earth for fleas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page