Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Foraging herbs/Medicinal herb garden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Foraging herbs/Medicinal herb garden Next Topic  

PalindromePower
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Anna
Ohio
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2014 :  8:17:05 PM  Show Profile
While my family may think that I have gone off the deep end this year I am having a blast! I made some wild violet jelly some dandelion jelly and discovered that weeds in my garden are lots of edible weeds! So on this track I was interested in finding out more from you more experienced ladies about some herbs I would find in Ohio and how to really be sure I am identifying them correctly. I know that I have seen this ( http://www.simplysetup.com/simple-living-2/wild-chamomile-finding-identifying-and-using.html ) wild chamomile around and am sure that now that I want some I won't be able to find it. So what herbs do you use and recommend for a beginner?
I have plenty of space to put a herb garden in so since fall planting is right around the corner any perennials that would be good starter plants? Mostly looking for something to make teas and use for minor things, upset stomachs sore throat and the like. Thanks in advance!

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  5:39:30 PM  Show Profile
There is a book that I was introduced to by my foraging friends, and I love the pictures, it helps to keep me picking the right items, and many items grow or can be found in the wild. I have been making comfrey oil, dried Mallow for tea this fall / winter for coughs and asthma and a sore throat syrup, and the list goes on and like you I may be off the deep end, but I enjoy my company there. there is a recipe for chest rub and just picked elderberries for cold and flue tonic, ... well its the best resource I have found. if you are interested send me an e-mail.

It is such a great feeling to go out and pick something and know how to use it

a lot of the recipes call for:
peppermint
Echinacea
garlic
oregano
nettle leaf ( wonder if that's an herb or wild?)
parsley

just to start with a few

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  7:36:14 PM  Show Profile
Danyel - can you e-mail me the information as well??? Thanks!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6998 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6998 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  12:35:15 AM  Show Profile
I make a tea for colds. Taken just as the first symptoms appear it may keep it from becoming worse.

Recipe:
Greek Oregano
Spearmint
Thyme
Sage - also good for flu
Rosemary

Other mints and oregano have some medicinal qualities but spearmint and Greek oregano have more.

I dry all the herbs in the fall except rosemary which I use fresh since it is a year round plant.

Mix dried herbs together. Either store in air tight jar out of direct light or put into tea bags.

1-2 tsp. of dried herbs & 1 tsp. fresh rosemary to cup of boiling water - steep for 5 minutes - strain if leaves are loose - add lemon & honey - sometimes I also add a splash of whiskey or brandy.

If you do not have all of the herbs use what you have.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  6:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Danyel,

Can you list the info on the book here, I am very interested and I think others would be also.

Thanks,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  6:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Sorry work has been a little crazy.
If you are still interested the books that I am using for home remedies is
by Rachel Weaver M. H. Be your own doctor and Backyard pharmacy.
the books can be ordered online www.drmomsherbs.com
or call 717-435-4707
or mail Share-A-Care
240 Mohns Hill Road
Reinholds, PA 17569

I have made the wild cherry cough syrup, it is steeping a couple more days to go. Just finished 7 pint of elderberry flu tonic tonight.
the mullion tea for my breathing, and honestly I think it has helped also using it to help increase my circulation, also have made the plantain oil, drying wild lettuce, mullion, mallow, plantain, so many things that grow that can be used to help.
Has anyone else used this resource? I would love to hear what you are making that you have found to be helpful.

Danyel
farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  6:34:13 PM  Show Profile
So glad I found this post - I'm starting to plan my garden and want to add herbs for home remedies. Thanks!

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

http://EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  8:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Anna--if you go to Mountain Rose Herbs website, they have seeds you can buy to start a medicinal herb garden. I live in Illinois and I've picked chickweed and wild strawberries from my yard. If you can find a patch of real prairie, they are a treasure trove of useful herbs and plants. A good place to look is alongside train tracks, since that soil has never been plowed and is likely to have native species.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  8:27:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I remember when I first tilled the ground where I wanted to plant my garden. The ground came alive with plantain, foxglove, and other native herbs that the grasses had choked out. I now make sure I till a bit of new soil each year just to see what will come up. I have a lovely crop of nettle that comes up on my organic little pile (mostly organic debris from my small acreage that has been shoved in one pile with a tractor). If anyone has a use for tansy ragwort, please let me know. Otherwise I will continue to eradicate it as it is a noxious weed and a cumulative liver toxin.

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Foraging herbs/Medicinal herb garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page