Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 To Tip or Not To Tip - there's a question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic To Tip or Not To Tip - there's a question Next Topic
Page: of 2

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Rhonda, it used to be proper to tip only those hairdressers who rent a chair; but now it's appropriate to tip the shop owner, too. While they also get income from other hairdressers, they also have more overhead.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  2:06:46 PM  Show Profile
My hairdresser is the shop owner so it's not an issue :)

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  2:46:59 PM  Show Profile
Something I never knew about tipping is that you're supposed to tip movers. I only discovered that after DH and I moved last year, and I felt guilty about it. So when I move in a few weeks, I'm going to be sure to tip the movers. It's very physically demanding work, after all.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  4:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
See how conditioned we've become by artificial rules? 'Supposed' to tip the movers? Never heard of it. We're 'supposed' to tip nearly everyone, it seems and it makes me wonder how we got sucked into that. Just my opinion but I think it's a form of intimidation we've succumbed to. If you don't tip not only are you unsophisticated because you didn't know BUT you're stingy to boot. I like to tip as a way to say an extra thank you. Now, if I had movers who did an extraordinary job, I might be inclined to give them something so they could go grab a bite to eat on the way home at the end of the day. The pizza guy gets a tip because he went out of his way to find my house and it's a dangerous job anymore. No tips at McD's or the like but if the clerk remembers who I am, I am more inclined to leave my change. Too busy to say thank you when I pay you? I'm too busy to leave a tip. I think we work very hard for our money and I want to leave it as a sincere thank you, not because somebody some place made up a rule. Life is too complicated!! ARGHHHHH!

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  10:42:01 PM  Show Profile
OK Mary Ann, the reason I asked this is because my friend had been doing my hair for years. I always tipped her because he does an amazing job. My friend moved out of state. When I started the search for a new hairdresser I was enlightened about "level 1, 2 & 3" stylists. The price goes up with the level. I live in a small midwestern town. Average price for a HC is around $25, for women in this area. The stylist I went to, a level 3, is the owner of her shop and charges $35. I guess I was feeling like she was already compensated for her level of expertise/owner's status. Her girls get between $18 & $25 for a HC. I felt like some of them were equal or better in skill. So...just thinkin'.

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  04:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, I think part of it depends too on what your area can support. I live out in the middle of nowhere. I have a dear friend who used to cut my hair years ago, and she always charged $8, even in a little shop. Now she cuts at home, and I'm guessing she charges in the $10 range. I know tips are poor out here in the corn, and many of her clients are older people on fixed incomes who can probably remember when a haircut was a dollar.

But the stylist I use is in the Chicago suburbs, and she charges $60 for a cut. She's not the shop owner. With the tip, a haircut's $72. She's really good, and her area will support those prices.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic To Tip or Not To Tip - there's a question Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page