YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6936 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6936 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  08:22:43 AM  Show Profile
Last year I started composting a flower bed that the previous owner had left bare. There are several such beds in my backyard.

I save kitchen parings in an old cream & green enamel bucket w/lid. I collect cream & green enamelware so I'm always looking for ways to use them.

When the bucket is full I dig a whole in the bed - put in compost - cover back up and let nature do the rest. The bed I started last year should be ready in the spring for planting.

I am now starting to compost a new bed. In my 30s I lived next door to a elderly lady. I'm just a few years shy of being how old Mrs. Morrison was back then and I don't consider myself elderly. Funny how our views on age change as we grow older.

Forgive me I do ramble on. Mrs. Morison planted tomatoes every year along her back fence line. She rotated her beds. Some for composting - others for growing.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  09:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Great idea! I've seen countertop composting containers online for $20 and up. Re-purposing your enamel bucket is utilitarian, decorative and frugal.

I relate to what you describe as what you thought was elderly when you were younger. I, too, have arrived to the age that I used to think was so ooollllldd. Ha!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6936 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6936 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  09:29:41 AM  Show Profile
Hello Catherine, we're practically neighbors as the crow flies here in TX. You're on the gulf to the south and I'm along the Red River to the north.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  09:49:39 AM  Show Profile
My family and I were just talking about that very thing....being Texas neighbors. Howdy!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Composting in a Small Yard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page