YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6936 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6936 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  10:04:50 AM  Show Profile
I have 4 plants/bulbs ordered to be delivered in time for fall planting in my area. Yesterday I bought the potting soil needed for the container plants.

In the coming weeks I will decide what pots I will use and wash them. One plant goes in the ground so I will have to ready that spot.

Hopefully by the time the plants/bulbs arrive all I will have to do is plant them, cover them with leaves for the winter, and wait for them to show up in the spring.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2014 :  5:16:01 PM  Show Profile
Being ready to be ready is always good! Enjoy.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  12:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Sara, what kind of bulbs and plants are you planting? Good luck!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6936 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6936 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  1:03:01 PM  Show Profile
Marly, I ordered them from Wayside Gardens.

20 bulbs Golden Yellow Crocus
20 bulbs White Splendor Windflower
1 qt-size Container Butterfly Bush
1 qt-size Yellow Meteor Coneflower to go in ground

The other 3 will go into containers - covered with leaves - placed along south back wall of house to winter over - until blooming in the spring - then they will be moved to their places in the front & side yards. When blooms die I will plant them along back fence except for the container butterfly bush - it will stay on the deck.

I have yellow shutters so I try to keep to a white & yellow theme with a touch of orange in front yard. The side & back yards have more colors.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  1:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sara,
I'm not familiar with what part of Texas you are in. What kind of winter do you typically have? I know that a million dollar question lately, with all the crazy weather in all part of the country.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6936 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6936 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  1:53:54 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, I live in north east TX about 30 south of the Red River that divides TX & Ok.

Sometimes we have bad winters. This year was one of those. Nights below 20 degrees - some in single digits. We had a major ice storm that Gov. Perry declared our area a disaster so the city had help with clean up. I was without power from Fri midday until Tues night around 8. So far I have had three clean ups in my back yard because of the damage done to the 50" oak tree.

A falling branch went through a neighbors roof into her living room. Another branch went through the roof of one of my nephew's rent house. I saw a lot of out of state tree trucks. Mostly from La but one was from MN.

Through all that I only lost the Greek oregano in a container on the deck. All other herbs & container rose on the deck lived. Even the coral bell that I had planted only months before did okay in it's container. I kept them all covered during the ice storm. After that I covered only at night.

Other plants that made it through the ice storm in containers: Elephant ears - 24 tulip bulbs.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Getting Ready to be Ready Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page