Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ezekial bread Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:29:38 PM  Show Profile
I found frozen ezekial bread in the health food department at our local Krogers grocery. It comes in various types. I tried the sesame and also the cinnamon raisin. They were delicious. So unlike the usual grocery store bread.

They are all organic, made out of sprouts with no flour or sugar. Wonder how hard it would be to make this bread? Has anyone ever tried it? I would appreciate a recipe.

Thanks,
Patsy

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:36:25 PM  Show Profile
I love the Ezekial bread -- I purchase it because it is the lowest in sodium of any I've found. I keep a loaf in the freezer and just make a piece of toast with it.

Don't have a recipe -- just wanted to second your enthusiasm about the bread.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:41:50 PM  Show Profile
here is a recipe I found:

Ezekiel Bread Recipe

5 and 1/4 Cups Ezekiel-Mix Ground into Flour (makes 3 loaves)

or:

2 1/2 cups Hard Red Wheat
1 1/2 cups Spelt
1/2 cup Barley
1/4 cup Millet
1/4 cup Lentils
2 Tbsp Great Northern Beans
2 Tbsp Red Kidney Beans
2 Tbsp Pinto Beans

Mix all grains and beans in a large bowl and mill into a fine flour.

Measure into a large bowl:

4 cups warm water
1 cup honey (molasses or Stevia can also be used, adjust fluids if using Stevia, with extra water or add Buttermilk)
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbsp yeast
Mix and set aside for 5 minutes until frothy.

Measure the flour and add to the flour, 2-3 tsp salt.

Mix with a strong wooden spoon until stretchy and elastic - about 7 minutes.

This is a batter bread that will not form a smooth ball. Pour into 3 greased bread pans in even amounts.

Place pans in oven on lowest heat to rise (170 degrees) . Allow to rise to within 1/2 inch of tops of pans and NO MORE or it will overflow and trash your oven. Mine takes about 15-20 minutes.

Once risen, WITHOUT OPENING THE DOOR, turn the heat up to 350. If you open the door, the cool air will cause the bread to fall. Bake at 350, about 25-30 minutes until nicely browned on top - remember, this is a cake-like bread and will not be like regular yeast breads - you may have to experiment with cooking times. Butter tops once out of the oven. Enjoy!

This bread freezes beautifully in freezer zip lock gallon bags, once cooled. Refrigeration makes freshly baked breads taste stale, but freezing them keeps the flavor fresh (up to 3 months). Protect against freezer burn by pushing as much air out of the zip lock bag as possible.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile
This recipe is from Bob's Red Mill. It doesn't have sprouted grains, however, like the Ezekial bread I purchased has. (Also has more sodium than the bread I buy)

Ezekiel Bread Recipe

Ingredients:
4 cups Lukewarm Water
1 cup Honey
1/2 cup Oil
2 Tbsp Yeast, Active Dry
Whole Grains:
2 1/2 cups Wheat, Hard Red Berries
1 1/2 cups Spelt Berries or Rye Berries, Organic
1/2 cup Barley, Whole Hull-less
1/4 cup Millet
1/4 cup Lentils (Petite French Green)
2 Tbsp Great Northern Beans
2 Tbsp Kidney Beans (Red)
2 Tbsp Pinto Beans

Stir whole grains together very well and grind in grain mill until mixture becomes flour.

Measure water, honey, oil, and yeast in large bowl. Allow to mixture to sit 5 minutes for yeast to grow.

Add 2 tsp salt and the grain mixture to the yeast mixture- mix well.

Pour batter into two greased pans, 10x5x3 or equivalent. Let rise in a warm place until 3/4" to 1/2" from top edge of pan. Bake at 350°F for 40-50 minutes. Shorten baking time if using shallow pans.

Each loaf makes 12 slices

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Each slice contains Calories 230, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g, Saturated Fat 0.5g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 200mg, Total Carbohydrates 42g, Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 12g, Protein 7g.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2006 :  11:57:40 AM  Show Profile
I use Ezekial bread now too. Can't really tolerate wheat bread, gives me heartburn - but that doesn't always stop me!! I use the raisin bread and make one slice of toast to go with my egg in the morning.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  10:21:48 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have tried several recipies for loaf type ezekiel bread and have not had much luck. Instead I have started making it in small bun type loaves and my family seems to enjoy it. This recipie comes from Sally Fallons "Nourishing Traditions."
3 cups soft wheat berries
1/4 cup seasame or caraway seeds (I prefer caraway)

Cover with water and set in a warm dark place for 24 hours. Drain off water and cover with fresh. Let sit another 24 hours, drain off water and test the berries for softness (should squish when you pinch them). If they are not soft, add fresh water and let sit another 24 hours. Otherwise grind in food processor until ball forms. Roll into tennis size balls and flatten out into small cakes (hubby likes them about 1-1 1/2 inches high, I like them thinner) and cook at 150 for 12 hours, turning over after 6. I use my dehdrator for the baking and make as many as 4 batches at a time. They last very well, but are a bit on the dry side. Warm they are good with cheese.

Hope this helps.
Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ezekial bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page