Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  06:33:17 AM  Show Profile
My kids get really tired of me saying "waste not, want not," but I am going to go ahead and keep saying it and I am sure it is going to "stick" eventually.

You are right about our trash culture. In the past few days I have seen on TV and also read about the incredible waste regarding people buying bottle water. BILLIONS (can that be actually right?) of bottles are discarded worldwide PER DAY. I couldn't believe it. Especially when tap water is just fine.

My next project is to sew up some canvas shopping bags. I also saw a report about plastic bags from stores and the damage they do (and cost to municipalities to get rid of them: 17 cents per bag, I think in San Francisco).

Happy Trails To You.

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  06:35:32 AM  Show Profile
((((((LORI!!!))) So good to see you here.
Amy...for sure your woods are true. I feel the same way about those jars of home canned goods all lined up!!
The waste we all just take for granted is terrible!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  08:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Waste Not, Want Not is something we all need to focus a little bit more on. Here is a little story about my latest "Waste not, Want Not" experience.

About 2 1/2 months ago, I went to Costco, and even though I don't normally buy produce there- I bought a huge bag of carrots. I put carrots into most of my meals that I make at home because the blend so well into so many dishes! Anyway, between having a brand new baby and all, I just wasn't doing as much cooking as I normally did. About a month ago I looked into the veggie drawer to see what I had to cook with. I had totally forgotten about that bag of carrots! They were sprouting roots and leaves on some of them, and little black mold spots were starting to eat some of the them up. Well, I went on line and found a really frugal Carrot Cake recipe and I have made about 6 or 7 carrot cakes since then. I just used the last of them up last night! I would scrub the carrots really good, trim the ends, try to trim out the black spots or just chuck that portion of the carrot into the compost. I could have thrown all those carrots away, but instead I made something that me, my fiance, and a friend have really enjoyed eatting!

I am also trying constantly to get my fiance to recycle or reuse containers that food comes in, like yogurt containers, glass jars, and little 6 ounce plastic bottles that our frozen juice comes in.

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  2:48:29 PM  Show Profile
well, gurlfrenz .. i'm not a WASTEFUL person .. but i'm also not extremely FRUGAL. there are areas in my life where i recycle and 'make-do' .. but surely not in all areas. would be interested in hearing in what ways .. any of you are not 'frugal' .. or 'simplicity' doesn't rule.

for me .. it would surely be not 'knowingly' wipin' my hiney with recycled paper. shooooot .. if i don't know i am .. it probably wouldn't bother me .. and i don't think of it as a 'germ' issue .. jus' one of those 'not frugal' areas of my life

how's about ya'll?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  3:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hmm.. Right now I have to be pretty frugal in everything I do. I guess I spurge most on my trips home. Just the plane fare or the gas money = big $$$ for out little budget. But seeing my family is so important to me! I want to start going home every couple of months- basically anytime school is out for enough of a length of time for us to actually get there, visit, and make it back :)

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  05:20:25 AM  Show Profile
Regarding frugal living, I think those of us that aspire to do so, do so for different reasons. Many do it purely for economic reasons and some for moral/spiritual reasons...with lots doing it for a combination of both. I do it for both.

Economically, I am better able to be a stay-at-home-mom, by being more frugal than most. Another economic reason: I don't mind being frugal in everyday living, but when I go on vacation, I leave most of my frugal ways behind. My everyday frugality helps "pay" for me to do this.

A great deal of my frugal activities are to be a good steward of the earth. I am very much into enviromentalism and that passion leads the way for lots of my tightwad activities. I just think it is morally wrong to be wasteful, even if you have the money to do so. Using up resources indiscriminately is not right. When I went to Alaska to backpack, I was very impressed with the concept of subsitence-living: using only what one needs and no more. There is no doubt that the Alaska natives are much better stewards of our planet.

I also enjoy being frugal and having it look like I am not. A little bit of a game for me. For instance, this weekend, I fashioned myself an attractive zip-loc bag dryer for the counter of my kitchen. I have been washing and drying bags for years and just don't like having to dry them out with a dish towel or prop them over various items. The holder does the trick and looks cute to boot!

We also have our "comfort level" regarding frugality. I do a great deal, but I am by no means like Amy Dacyczyn and The Tightwad Gazette, which is a great resource, by the way. I am impressed with those that use moon pads for their periods. I am not quite there, but maybe....for heaven's sake, I did cloth diapers for twins, so I should be able to do that! When I was married, I was given a reproduction copy of The American Frugal Home (I am not sure that is the title, but I am too lazy right now to go downstairs and look). Anyway, one tip was to use your earwax as lip balm. Okay, I am NOT going to do that EVER. I am sure of that.

Happy Trails,
Amy

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  09:50:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ear Wax as lip balm? Icky! LOL

Can you post a picture of your Ziplock dryer? Or tell us how you made it? It sounds great!

Alee

Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile
My husband just spray-painted the zip-loc bag dryer a few minutes ago, as I decided it was a bit too plain and I was recently inspired by looking at examples of Mail Art to dress it up a bit. I think I might do a little more painting and modge-podge on it to make it pretty. The big key is to use materials that won't get damaged when getting slightly wet and also coating it with a sealer of some sort. When it is done I will try to figure out how to post a picture.

Amy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Simplicity/Frugality Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page