Page: of 2

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  11:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I just love anything that hints to simplifying and saving a few $$. I know here and there throughout the book and magazines there's simple things but I can't get ENOUGH!!!!!! Any frugal tips..I really would love to find a book on saving money and making things etc from depression era people. I'm fascinated with how both sets of grandparents would fix/make things that I would NEVER think of doing. History sure teaches you lessons;)

"... to thine ownself be true."

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  12:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Bridget, I would highly recommend the Tightwad Gazette! It is not only packed with wonderful ways to save money, but it's fun to read. I bought mine through Amazon.com. I have used many of the ideas myself. It's a great book!

Susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:32:54 PM  Show Profile
I have all three of the Tightwad Gazette books. They are great. I try to reread them at least once a year. There is also Frugality For Dummies. It is one of those black and yellow help books.

Also if you plug in "simplicity" in the search engine, there are lots of free sites on the internet. Great advice in most of them.

Hope this helps,
Patsy

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:39:56 PM  Show Profile
I just started a frugality blog. the addy is in my signature. I have yet to do stuff with it as I have a few other projects to finish first....but Ill have stuff there regularly.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  5:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
ByBiddie I will def check that out and the rest Patsy I do have the Frugality for Dummies...But I lost it!!:( I actually liked it. GaiasRose I'm checking out ur site as I type this:)

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Check out 'Not buying it' by Judith Levine. Literally I mean check it out - from the library!!!!!!

Fascinating book, I read her year-long diary in two days, I couldn't put it down.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 09 2006 6:58:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  7:03:30 PM  Show Profile
I am prone to purchasing books as libraries are germy....I have a phobia or two....thanks for the recommendation. Is there a website that the author has?

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  7:07:47 PM  Show Profile
I don't know for sure if she has a website, but there is a review of the book at http://www.powells.com/review/2006_03_13.html that I would say is pretty doggone accurate.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  08:08:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bridget: I think a lot of the folks in the past used what God gave them....common sense. They saved bags to use and reuse over and over. They put buckets out and collected rainwater to make their hair soft. Food not eaten at one meal was not thrown away but created for another one the next day. There were no paper plates, napkins, tissues, etc. to waste. They used cloth diapers and hankies. They walked. They made a list and traveled one day out of the month for supplies. They didn't want what they didn't need. They knew that working hard was a way of life. Here's a little something that happened just last week in the Walmart parking lot.

I came out of Walmart pushing a cart when I saw this teenage girl pointing her keys at her car and when I got close to her she looked at me and said, "I can't get my car to unlock!" She was almost in tears! I took her keys over to the car, put it in the door, and opened it. She looked at me like I had just walked on water! What is wrong with that picture? We don't use our brains enough. Common sense. She told me she was going to call triple A!!!!! I guess what I'm getting at is that, even though books are great and I have learned so very much from MJ's book, what she is teaching us is to use common sense. Waste not...want not. Being frugal is a choice. Yours and mine. Okay. I'm done prattling on. Sorry. Love, Susan
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Boy oh boy! Susan you said it all. We as a nation, a country, a world have to begin again to use what the Great Spirit has given us. Our Mind-Our Hands. Common Sense. Horse sense. Use and reuse.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile
My brother and his clan were here this weekend for a birthday celebration for Zoe and something occured that needed a wiping up of and Jenn asked me for a paper towel. I told her that she would be hard pressed to find anything paper here except paper and toilet paper (and even that is Seventh Gen.!). My brother just about died when he saw sitting on the back of the toilet, my clean dry Moon time pads. They think it is soooooo gross that I cloth diaper my babes and that we use hankies instead of kleenex (though the occassional box is purchased when any of us ahve a raging cold and can't keep the hankies clean long enough). Everything is VERY throw away for them.

I had to lecture a teeneager this Summer about the value of use and reuse as she thought that the reuse of aluminum foil after it had been used as a left overs cover, was disgusting and that the deli bag from the sandwich meat got washed, dried and put away. No one has any sense of what is happening to our planet because of our throw away mindset.

Have you seen that commercial on TV for some Visa card, where all the people are spinning in circles and everything is ver regimented and fast paced and then a guy stops everything up because he pulls out CASH! I think that commercial is a remarkable example of how our society is. It's terrible.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  5:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I just was watching tv Wife Swap (love seeing the two families learn from each other) and the commercial came on so right afterward I logged on and read the messages. I do try to reuse...my fam isnt as likemind completely. I like cloth napkins cause I know what they're made of and hankies....I'm working on that;) I even hate plastic tablecloths cause they rip and tear and get icky. I've been eyeing up the moon pads because I honestly feel like sticking bleached chemical ridden stuff near your genitals contributes to problems. I use organic cotton pads/tampons but man I hate spending $$ for them and I like the idea of reuseable pads. I am just really curious/worried about washing them. Kind of freaks me out:-0 I do use bags over and over and try to use actual purses bags for shopping. We always reuse gift bags/tissue, me I reuse wrapping paper but want to use fabric or things that you can reuse that are neat. I just love "learning" more tricks! Some are completely under my nose but still I feel no shame when discovering them:) Thanks for the tips and keep em coming!:) hugs (those are free and reuseable)

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  6:38:53 PM  Show Profile
sorta off topic re: moontime pads....

I just use vinegar and water until they go in the wash (I wash them with the dipes in the sanitary cycle-takes like 2 hours) and then the water goes in the garden....waste not want not ;) periods are wonderful!

Also, you are right, the difference between the chem. laden disposable products and cloth is astounding. There is no foul smell, my cramps are less severe, and I don't waste money.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  1:15:21 PM  Show Profile
hm, I've been finding the reusable ones on the cloth diaper sites, but hadn't seen moon pads, please give a link. I have also thought about switching, however my MIL and husband and even mother thinks I'm insane! lol
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  7:19:50 PM  Show Profile
I agree that a book section on "Farmgirl Frugal" would be great - it could include topics like budgeting, the overall value of reusable goods, etc. These are such great ideas from all of you!

I'm really taken by the premise of Judith Levine's book - and I have to think HARD about this one - but I may try to do a modified version of that myself in the coming year. I just can't give up the "farm and garden" purchases very reasonably, however - but there sure are a lot of "around the house" things that I could cut WAY back on.

Doesn't it make you feel good to be doing things that are both easy on the pocketbook and easy on the planet?!?!?!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  4:54:15 PM  Show Profile
Working in a craft store as I do, many items that are declared "unsellable" are thrown away without a blinking of the eye. Well, to put it mildly, I have, on occassion, thrown a small hissy fit. It has gotten to the point where some of the other employees come to me first before throwing an item away to see if I can "save it!" Isn't life great? The other night I heard one of the employees ask if she should throw an ornament away because it was missing a nose. (a snowman.) He told her to check with me first because he didn't want me to accuse him of being "throw away happy!" Sometimes we can impact another persons thoughts and practices if we go about it the right way. Frugality and simplicity are two of my favorite words....and I try to live that way every day! And, the food restaurants throw away just makes my heart ache! My girls work in a restaurant and they have actually asked the managers if they could have the leftover foods to give to others instead of the restaurant throwing it away and they won't give it to them. Big containers of food are thrown away....some of them have never even had a spoon in them! Each of us can try to make an impact wherever we live and whatever we do. Was it Mother Therese who said, Peace like love , starts at home? Basically, everything starts at home. Love, Susan
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Along the lines of the moon pads.....I react very strongly to anything bleached and I love my homemade flannel pads. I also invested in something called The Keeper. I may have mentioned this in another thread, can't remember. It is a natural rubber cup that you use like a tampon on you rinse and reuse. Since it doesn't absorb and dry things out it is so much safer and healthier than tampons. You can find it I believe at thekeeper.com. I think there is also a silicone version called a Diva cup. When you stop and add up money spent on disposable products such as these, it really opens your eyes. I often think....people 50-100yrs ago lived just fine without all of the throw away things we have today and they seem to have been much happier.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2006 :  10:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Tasha and Sarah,
I am so glad there are others out there using re-usable, washable pads. I find it funny that some people can't stand the thought of anything like that (as Tasha said, hankies, cloth nappies). But I know of people that will 'tolerate' those things, but re-usable pads is just going too far. If you cut yourself and got blood on a shirt, you wouldn't just throw it away and say it was gross.
My hubby and I nearly have wars over paper products (he works for a woodchip company, which is eating away at my ethics constantly - I feel like we are living on 'dirty' money - is that silly?) Anyway, I won't buy tissues, paper towels, either and it drives him nuts. Sometimes he makes the effort to buy them for himself, but normally just mutters to himself. But he always manages to find an alternative if they are not there!
I'll stop raving now - just nice to know (living in a town where one of the major sources of income is woodchips!) that there are others who feel as I do!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  06:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
WOW so glad to hear more ideas or facts;) I still have yet to order the stuff. I'm currently on my period and keep thinking about it. I was using all natural no bleached tampons and the seventh generation pads. I am currently still living at home and try to support myself but I'm in the process of a graduate degree and slightly above minimum wage job. Sorry if I repeat myself. But money is at a premium. I am still doing the guilty christmas present feelings...MUCH cheaper and homemade items too. I worry about What will they think. Well Heck if they are a true friend/relative that loves and cares they will cherish it. I have always put thoughts into gifts no matter. I just keep thinking how much of a waste the tampons and pads are when the money could go to something better! Plus Jayne I know what you mean about dirty money sorta. I have stock in mcd's. EW I know! I am still deciding what to do with it. Been constantly on my mind. Sarah, the bleach thing is what gets me. HOW can that be "healthy" for your genitals?! No wonder we have probs with fertility and cancer. You can't tell me that it doesn't affect us in a negative way. And recycling broken things whether its to a home that can use it or simply making it into something else is GREAT! I haven't crossed over to flea markets yet...I can't shake the negative stigma around here about people that go to those. I know silly! I think I will muster up the courage in the next week or so and see what finds I can get. I do go to thrift stores though...go figure! Any other neat ideas? Can someone for me just make a detailed list of how to clean the moon pads? I know water and vinegar but I am still slightly confused with what to do with them! :-~ Well I'm having fun learning:) HUGS!

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  08:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Susan - the restaurants are afraid of a lawsuit in case someone gets food poisioning from the donated food. Maybe your girls can point their managers to America's Second Harvest for pointers/help in persuasion. It's just obscene that people go hungry because of this.

In college I worked for a lingerie chain (you know the one) with a Very Stupid rule about "damaged" items - we had to take a pair of scissors and destroy the item beyond use. Mind you, we're talking about an unstitched bow or button, the tiniest makeup stain, things that could easily be finxed with a needle and thread or trip through the washer. I'd beg the manager to let me donate them to the women's shelter, but was always shot down due to company policy.

I think Farmgirl Frugal is brilliant, we can always learn from each other.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  08:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Bridget-it really is just that: water and vinegar to soak until wash time. At wash time throw them in the washa as normal-I throw em in with dipes- and then hang dry ( you can machine dry if you want-I prefer not to. )

That is really ALL there is to it.

Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  08:59:05 AM  Show Profile
When I read the story about the young girl and her car keys, it reminded me of another story. One of my friends was at her niece's house and the kitchen was literally full of dirty dishes. My friend asked why, and her niece said her dishwasher was broken! So my friend, said "Well, you can run a sink of hot water and wash them you know." Her niece said - "oh my gosh I never thought of that!"

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  12:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Bridget...I usually just soak mine in cold water and throw them in the wash as usual like Tasha.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  06:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Thanks guys I guess I thought there was more science;) lol call me the girl with the car keys;) jk I know about the restaurant thing. I used to always complain about that. When I worked at the Pie Shoppe we would have to pitch EVERYTHING...sometimes there wasn't a ton and sometimes there was. Thank god this one lady wanted it for her cows. And the stuff we "pitched" went in the dumpster where the local game commission would hop in to take to trap and tag the bears. It was always something when we were preparing a sub sandwich and looking out the window that faced the dumpster and then a big fat bald man would pop up randomly. Never knew when they would do that. LOL!

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  4:02:25 PM  Show Profile
I am so loving this thread! I thought I knew quite a bit about recycling and reusing until I met all of you. Thanks so much for all of the info.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Amybug
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Amy
Grand Island Nebraska
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  05:53:20 AM  Show Profile
My friends joke with me that I am reincarnated from someone who had it "really hard in the depression," referring to my creative frugal ways. Speaking of reincarnation, another joke about me is that when I am reincarnated, I am going to come back as a squirrel. There are few things that bring me as much satisfaction as seeing all of my canning jars full and ready to go for the winter!

I have always been fond of the depression era phrase, "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without."

"The secret to a successful life is to take the cards you are dealt and play your best hand with them."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Simplicity/Frugality Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page