Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 New (Urban) Farmgirl from Chicago
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New (Urban) Farmgirl from Chicago Next Topic  

DaliceMarie
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Dalice Marie
Chicago IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  1:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!

First, I am just so excited to have found this community. I makes me so excited and giddy, it's kind of ridiculous. Anyways, I'm Dalice Marie. I was born in Mid-Michigan, but I live in Chicago now.

My Daddy has always had a farm. When I was little, back when he still owned the big farmhouse, we had a vast pasture with cows, chickens, pigs, even emus and prairie dogs (for a stint). He eventually moved to a smaller farm and, now, mostly focuses on his gardens and fowl.

Growing up I wanted nothing, and I mean, nothing to do with the country. I found it boring and uninteresting. I had dreams of city life, always feeling much to big for the small towns I grew up in.

I finally did get to the City. In 2009, I came to Chicago for grad school. Been here ever since. But lately, I can't help but miss my old life. I can't help but miss my Mother Nature and the country and the softness and quite and stillness and the warmth and the wildness and and and...(I'm sure you can all relate).

So, I decided to bring myself back to my roots. I started a small container garden (Tomatoes, peppers, dill, chamomile, Greek oregano, pineapple sage, basil, cilantro, and corn. That's right, corn). And I am so proud to say that all of them (except my peppers...) are doing just wonderful. Now, I'm hopelessly in love with my garden and plants.

Anyways, again, I'm so happy to have found this site, and these forums. I'm hoping I can learn a lot and meet new people and make new friends and all those nice things. Isn't that what we all want, though?

<3

Trust & Solidarity

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  1:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dalice Marie, looking forward to hearing more from you. I too grow herbs & flowers in containers.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  06:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Delice to "The Farm"! We are glad you joined. I was recently in Chicago for two days visiting my sister and the city is a very vibrant and fun place to be. Your container garden sounds like the perfect solution for feeding your Farmgirl Heart! There is nothing better than fresh herbs and few veggies for fueling new recipes that are tasty and fresh. Keep us posted on your new Farmgirl in the City projects!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  8:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Delice,

Is it funny how we all want the opposite of what we are given. I remember as a teenager visiting my Grandpa's farm And he would say in his old, stern voice,
"All City people want to do is go to the country and all of the Country people want to do is go to the Big City." When he retired from the big city, he bought a small farm in OR.

Janice Vintage Artist
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  07:16:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dalice! I'm kind of new here to. I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. I lived all over those suburbs. My mom still does, but my brother and sister live in the city now. I used to go downtown in high school a lot for shows at places like the metro and fireside bowl, so I know Chicago a little bit, and mostly in that small venue setting. I live in small town Indiana now, but still see my family quite a bit. Anyway nice to meet you :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

May my heart be kind, my mind fierce and my spirit brave. - Kate
Forsyth

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

DaliceMarie
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Dalice Marie
Chicago IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  07:28:40 AM  Show Profile
@notathreatinsight It's nice to meet you too!

Trust & Solidarity
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5091 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5091 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2014 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Welcome! Welcome! Dalice! My daughter who lived here in W. Tennessee all her life, moved to Chicago February this year! She made it thru the Winter and is loving the Summer! You will love it here on Mary Jane's Farm! SOOOOOOOO many Fabulous Farm Girls, and so many fun things to do! not to mention a wealth of information on just about anything you can think of!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

DaliceMarie
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Dalice Marie
Chicago IL
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  06:37:23 AM  Show Profile
@Killarney -- Wow, this past February was a rough one. Glad she made it through to this just beautiful summer we've been having.

Trust & Solidarity
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2014 :  4:43:09 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dalice Marie! So glad you joined up. Always good to see another IL farmgirl here! Have you checked out the Chicago Botanical Garden for container ideas? The Regenstein Orchard and Vegetable garden is one of our favorite spots there, but I have to admit we love the whole place.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2014 :  6:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dalice! You will find many kindred spirits here!

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2014 :  05:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dalice Marie! It always amazes me when we swear we won't do something when we grow up, and yet, it seems that whatever that was, is what we desire in the long run. I keep harassing my kids and telling them to never say never ;) Anyways, I am sure you will love it hear and make lots of lovely friends! It is such an awesome support group and there always seems to be so much to learn!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  3:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Dalice....you will enjoy it here on the Farm!!! Lots to learn and lots of great gals to get to know! LOL, I grew up in Chicago and miss it! :)

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  5:29:33 PM  Show Profile
LOL! Oh, Dalice Marie! I get all excited and giddy being here, too! I can't bear to have a day go by and not check in with our sisters... There's always so much going on, exciting news, things to learn, prayers to pray! You are just going to love it here, too - I can tell! Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!!! 'Looking forward to getting to know you better! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Dalice!

Your story of venturing out and coming back to your "roots" is the story of so many farmgirls here. You're right about what we all want....making new friends. You will definitely do that here.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  12:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Dalice Marie!
The Connection is a wonderful place to be!
Enjoy!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New (Urban) Farmgirl from Chicago Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page