YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Good evening Farmgirls. I'm a 72 year old Farmgirl at heart though I haven't lived on a farm since I was 7 years old. My daddy raised watermelons on a dirt farm in Dallas County. In the late 1940s TP&L hadn't strung their lines that far so we used oil lamps. Also we had a pump at the kitchen door and path to the little house out back.

Now some 60 years later I collect all things farmhouse country. My old things, such as rub board and wringer hang in my laundry room to remind me of how hard women had it in days gone by.

For you that are wondering what I meant by 'dirt farm', well, to me it's a farm that never made money and all you have to show for your troubles is a whole lot of Texas dirt.

I now live in a small house, with a small yard, on a city street. I'm into container gardening; especially herbs which I use in cooking, vinegars, oils, and teas for winter colds.

On a personal note: I'm divorced, mother of one son, no grandbabies, and a great-great aunt to 9 month old triplets.

I have published several personal stories and a gardening article; working on a cozy mystery series and a Bible study 'Women of Proverbs'. From time to time I write poetry.

I am looking forward to reading all your posts and when I can add to the conversation I will join in.

Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2014 :  6:53:10 PM  Show Profile
Sara, welcome!!! I am 63, a city girl, living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, but in 12 weeks, my husband and I are on the road in our motorhome to travel down south for the winter, then hopefully to visit each state. We will be living in our RV full time, so it will be close, but looking forward to warmer weather and meeting up with some farmgirls on our travels. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  04:20:28 AM  Show Profile
Jan, thanks for the warm welcome. Enjoy your road trip and make many happy memories.

Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  05:44:48 AM  Show Profile
So nice to meet you, Sara!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  05:58:42 AM  Show Profile

Sara...welcome!!!loved reading your post:):):)

Hugs!

Judy

PLANT SEEDS OF KINDNESS EVERYWHERE YOU GO!!!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile
BeeMoosie, thanks for the friendly welcome.

Judy, thanks for the welcome and so glad you enjoyed my post.

To both ladies - love your tag lines. Tells me a little about each of you.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  3:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
welcome to the site, sara and so glad to meet you....I live in your area and was wondering how long you have been in the paris area...I live just north of Bonham on the way to oklahome..I know you will love it here there are so many wonderful farmgirls here. welcome.
frannie in texas

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  4:35:46 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, thanks for the welcome. We're practically neighbors.

I will be in Paris 3 years in Nov. Before that 32 years I lived on 1/2 acre, in a 100 year old farm house, in Howe, Grayson County, 10 miles south of Sherman on Hy 75.

Before I moved here Bonham was where my sisters and I met up for a day of antiquing. Are the antique shops still opened?

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sara! Last year my husband and I moved to the Texas Hill Country. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile
Good to hear from you, Marly, and welcomed back to Texas. My son has lived in the Austin area for years.

I will look for your post; looking forward to reading them.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  11:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sara I like you already, it will be fun to get to know you more!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  1:35:19 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, what a wonderful thing to say to someone - "I like you already". Right back at you.

Jenny, allow me to express what I think about words. Words can bless or hurt us. Jenny's words are a good example of the blessing kind.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  06:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sara,

Welcome to the farm! I so enjoyed reading your post. Your container gardening and farm country collection sound wonderful and I enjoyed hearing about your childhood on the farm.

<3
Sarah

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  07:47:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sara!!!

I enjoyed reading your introduction. I was wondering what 'dirt' farming was? :) We have some dry farming in our area. The Bible study sounds very interesting, is it based on Proverbs 31? I wholeheartedly agree that words can build up or tear down. I look forward to getting to know you :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  09:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, so good to hear from you and that you enjoyed reading what I had to share.

Sharon, I'm glad you enjoyed my introduction. Prov. 31 is wonderful and I do use the traits of a virtuous woman in my bible study.

I have gone through Prov. and written down all the verses that relate to women. Then I match those traits whether good or bad ones up with women in both the Old & New Testaments. Most women have more than one trait.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  09:46:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Sara. I saw you were from Paris, TX. I looked at my husband and asked, "Where is Paris, TX?" My daughter chimed in and said, "It's on the way to Beaumont." We laughed and said, "No, that's China,TX"

It's so funny that Texas has so many names of other countries/cities.... Nome, Egypt,Iraan, Atlanta, Moscow, etc....

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, that's funny. Paris is way up north of you in Lamar County along the Red River - 100 miles east of Hwy 75.

We have our own Eiffel Tower with a red cowboy hat on top.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6593 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6593 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm Sara, this is such a wonderful place to be. Have lots of fun.
Hugs,
Debbie

"BE KIND TO PEOPLE BECAUSE EVERYBODY YOU KNOW IS ENGAGED IN REALLY TOUGH BATTLES."

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  10:14:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debbie, thanks for the welcome. I do like being on the farm and listening to what all the ladies have to say.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5091 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5091 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  11:02:28 AM  Show Profile
A Warm, and I do mean Warm! Welcome ! from Tennessee! Sara!! We have a Paris, In Tennessee too! It has a replica of the Eiffel Tower! Not as tall! LOL!! Welcome to Farm Girl everything!!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month- August, 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  11:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Connie, thanks for the welcome. I have roots in Tennessee. My mother's daddy came from there. Come to think of it Texas was mostly settled by pioneers from Tennessee.

My great-grand daddy was a preacher and doctor who rode the circuit in the hills of Tennessee just a preaching & a healing. Wished I had known him. Don't you know he had great stories to tell.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5091 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5091 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2014 :  6:55:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara!~ Your right! those would be some wonderful stories! So we are kindred Spirits! When I was a little girl I loved to listen to my Granny and Great Aunt Mattie talking as they sat in the porch swing, while I was playing! with my dolls, or if it was one of those Hot, humid Tn. Summer nights, I would be running around the backyard with a Mason jar catching Fireflies! The good ole days!

Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Farmgirl of the Month, August 2014
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  3:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Sara.....my granddaughter (Sarah) visited me last year and we visited Paris......I didn't want her to say she had never seen Paris!! LOL We took pictures at the Eiffel Tower! :)

Glad you found MJF....it's fun and informative....and many have made lifetime friends! Come visit the Over 50 Farmgirls and The Virtual Porch threads!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2014 :  4:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Mel, I hope you and Sarah enjoyed your visit.

I have visited the porch and found all the ladies friendly and enjoyed hearing what they had to say. I read more than I post - maybe I should join in more.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  06:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the farm Sarah. You belong here for sure. :)

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2014 :  06:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Patty for such a warm & friendly welcome. I've only been on the farm for less than a month but I feel right at home here.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from Paris, TX Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page